Marshall Promotes OC Jake Griedl to AD/Head Football Coach...

Smoaky

DeSoto ISD on Monday night voted to hire Marshall head football coach Clause Mathis as their new head coach. Mathis, who had a tremendous run at DeSoto, has been at Marshall High School.

Marshall superintendent Jerry Gibson told David Smoak he would like to have someone in place to replace Mathis within, "12-15 days."

And, based on my sources, there will be a large chunk of high-level names who were showing interest before the job was officially open.

Smoaky

• Like 2

He left Marshall on a 4-1 vote and 2 didn’t vote. Not a great way to get started in Desoto. The heads of Marshall new after they hired him that he wasn’t going to stay. They won with talent. Not because he was a savior of the program. Nobody in this District is any good and that’s why Marshall was the 2 time Dist champs. Believe me when I say this. You play who they put you up against so that’s not a knock on Marshall. I watched 2 games this year. And Mathis is a straight running fool. Not sure how he is away from the field but I’d be glad he is gone. Now do the Higher ups hire within. Or go outside?  Be interesting to see. I’m hearing the OC.  He sure is young to be running a program. But look at Sean McVay 😳

1 hour ago, justafan said:

He left Marshall on a 4-1 vote and 2 didn’t vote. Not a great way to get started in Desoto. The heads of Marshall new after they hired him that he wasn’t going to stay. They won with talent. Not because he was a savior of the program. Nobody in this District is any good and that’s why Marshall was the 2 time Dist champs. Believe me when I say this. You play who they put you up against so that’s not a knock on Marshall. I watched 2 games this year. And Mathis is a straight running fool. Not sure how he is away from the field but I’d be glad he is gone. Now do the Higher ups hire within. Or go outside?  Be interesting to see. I’m hearing the OC.  He sure is young to be running a program. But look at Sean McVay 😳

So you saying Marshall could've won their district with any coach and Mathis ain't that good? 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDJ89 said:

So you saying Marshall could've won their district with any coach and Mathis ain't that good? 

Seems like that's what he's saying. Sour grapes. The man did a good job at Marshall and has a chance to go back to a program that he helped build. Desoto has the Athletes every year to compete for the state Championship and Marshall doesn't.  I dont know how you can fault him for leaving...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TDJ89 said:

Guess we will find out if this is true over the next few years. It was not that long ago that Marshall was being beat by Nac. and blown out by Whitehouse. Marshall was good this year no doubt about it, but the narrative that they are the district savior is a little much. 

I am reading all of these comments about the program and where it was before Mathis got to Marshall.  Did anyone in Marshall ask questions to Harper about why he left what he had built leaving family, life-time friends, and a job that he had wanted all of his life according to what I have read,  Not wanting to stir an old pot but I have wondered about this.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, justafan said:

They had talent before him and did not win. They did when he arrived.

43 minutes ago, ilovefootball said:

I am reading all of these comments about the program and where it was before Mathis got to Marshall.  Did anyone in Marshall ask questions to Harper about why he left what he had built leaving family, life-time friends, and a job that he had wanted all of his life according to what I have read,  Not wanting to stir an old pot but I have wondered about this.

New sup wanted to have their own AD/ Head Football coach. The bashers can go on the war path, but when you boil it down, that's the elephant in the room. Mathis tried to go back to De Soto after being offered the Marshall job, and delayed the announcement for several days. This day was going to happen from the word go. Good luck to Marshall! Great historic program. Deserve better.

To be fair to both sides...Desoto won a lot under Dave Meadows....in fact if Byron Hanspard doesn't sprain an ankle Desoto probably wins the title in 1993 when Ben Dial was the HC there...in fact most credit Dial with really getting Desoto going....they did name the field after him....

they also won a lot under Claude Mathis....Mathis took them a round further than anyone else had before he left....Mathis' winning % I believe is behind only Peterman as best in school history....

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ilovefootball said:

Lots of people were put out with Clint Harper when he left. 

He sold himself as a lifetime home guy.  If a lifetime was 4 seasons 

1 hour ago, Cougar12345 said:

They had talent before him and did not win. They did when he arrived.

You clearly have no clue of our history. 

We were 2 years removed from a region semis and a district title (same as he accomplished) when he came to town. 

Add in region semis in 2009, 2007 and back to back state title games in 04 and 05. 

Winning is no stranger to us prior to Mathis. 

Seems to me that it was common knowledge that Mathis wasn’t in it for the long haul here. I’m disappointed to see him leave, but it would appear he has not lied about any of his intentions. As for our previous coach, he left suddenly when his buddy, the former MISD superintendent, who himself moved to Duncanville, made him an offer he couldn’t refuse. 

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

You clearly have no clue of our history. 

We were 2 years removed from a region semis and a district title (same as he accomplished) when he came to town. 

Add in region semis in 2009, 2007 and back to back state title games in 04 and 05. 

Winning is no stranger to us prior to Mathis. 

You need to relax, i believe he's talking about Desoto. 

1 hour ago, Maverick2000 said:

That said, I’m excited about the next step for Maverick football!

I agree. 

Harper and Mathis have laid a fantastic foundation. 

We need to be good stewards of what we’ve been given. 

Easier said than done. 

8 hours ago, justafan said:

I watched 2 games this year. And Mathis is a straight running fool. Not sure how he is away from the field but I’d be glad he is gone.

His antics during the Huntsville game were embarrassing. The dude even feel out at the Huntsville game after a call. Then was up sprinting down the sideline a play later. I am sure off the field he is a great guy and leader. Has to be or else I don’t know how he would get a job. But that night against Huntsville it was his coordinators who were keeping those kids calm and in the game. Mathis was acting like he was on an episode of Maury. 

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Claude Mathis back to DeSoto, Marshall hires OC Jake Griedl
  • Smoaky unpinned this topic