Marshall Promotes OC Jake Griedl to AD/Head Football Coach...

Smoaky

8 hours ago, Cougar12345 said:

They had talent before him and did not win. They did when he arrived.

6 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

You need to relax, i believe he's talking about Desoto. 

He was talking about Marshall... not DeSoto. 

I corrected him was all. 

That 28-5 district record encompasses 5 seasons.  Mathis was only in Marshall for 2. 

So to say we weren’t winning before he got here is false. 

Every single Marshall coach since Dennis Parker has had trips to the playoffs and advanced at least the region semis or beyond (10 total region semis or beyond; and 19 playoff appearances since 1988) except for Alex Richters. 

Did Mathis advance the program forward?  Absolutely!  No question.

But MADE us winner?  False.

jmho. 

33 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Typical Marshall...trash a good coach that produced better results than all your homeboy coaches...Mathis is better off in DeSoto anyway...he gets out of this East Texas toilet area where coaches like him rarely get HC jobs and never appreciated.

Why so negative? I’m assuming by “coaches like him” you mean black men, so yeah, Bill Harper, Thed Harris, Claude Mathis...typical Marshall. Oh I forgot the previous superintendent Marc Smith. I’d say Marshall has a better record of equality than most. I don’t want any trouble, but man, don’t trash my town. 

42 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

Typical Marshall...trash a good coach that produced better results than all your homeboy coaches...Mathis is better off in DeSoto anyway...he gets out of this East Texas toilet area where coaches like him rarely get HC jobs and never appreciated.

Maybe you should be more worried why Texas High is losing 6-7 games a season instead of whose coaching in Marshall. 

Mathis was treated like a king.  Too bad he couldn’t keep DeSoto out of his mouth the entire time he was here.  

Just a suggestion. 

Trust me, there's legitimate interest from coaches who have won a state championship at 5A level. And, there's a former East Texas coach in that group. There's also a former East Texas who is down in Houston area, who has been in 5A/6A who would be another great fit in Marshall.

The search won't take long at all, probably wrapped-up before end of January.

Smoaky

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

^ This guy is serious LoL come on man

27 minutes ago, Maverick2000 said:

Why so negative? I’m assuming by “coaches like him” you mean black men, so yeah, Bill Harper, Thed Harris, Claude Mathis...typical Marshall. Oh I forgot the previous superintendent Marc Smith. I’d say Marshall has a better record of equality than most. I don’t want any trouble, but man, don’t trash my town. 

Call me crazy but color of skin never entered my mind when wanting a coach. Coach having character and discipline is more important to me. Marshall deserved better than the Nick Saban treatment (Miami Dolphins). I can't understand why you can't be honest.

51 minutes ago, TheFootballFan said:

Time for someone to actually stay and give s hoot about marshsll itself ! Stop looking for big names and start. Looking for someone to build a program!!! Geesh

This. 

I want someone that plans to stay. Like Bill Harper did. 

There are big names that want to be in smaller towns not in the metro areas. 

$110K plus goes a LOT further out here in the sticks that it does in The city. 

I want someone that moves their family here.  Wife and all their children. Something Mathis never did. That was a sure sign it was short term. 

Chasing DeSoto both off seasons is another. 

Mistakingly calling Marshall DeSoto publicly is another. 

Being gone all the time. 

And some of the behind the scenes shenanigans that can’t/won’t even be posted here would make some jaws drop.  Appalling things. 

Thanks for all the hard work. It’s appreciated. Good luck at DeSoto. 

Next. 

5 minutes ago, lion70 said:

Call me crazy but color of skin never entered my mind when wanting a coach. Coach having character and discipline is more important to me. Marshall deserved better than the Nick Saban treatment (Miami Dolphins). I can't understand why you can't be honest.

I might have jumped the gun defending the program’s hiring practices, but it appeared that this guy was calling Marshall less than welcoming to a certain demographic and I was just jumping to the defense. I sure wasn’t trying to incite anything. 

1 minute ago, Maverick2000 said:

I might have jumped the gun defending the program’s hiring practices, but it appeared that this guy was calling Marshall less than welcoming to a certain demographic and I was just jumping to the defense. 

He was implying EXACTLY that

2 minutes ago, Maverick2000 said:

I might have jumped the gun defending the program’s hiring practices, but it appeared that this guy was calling Marshall less than welcoming to a certain demographic and I was just jumping to the defense. I sure wasn’t trying to incite anything. 

It fine you are angry and rightfully so. I mean if he said hey I love it here but I don't know what will happen cause I loved in up there as well. I am blessed to be a HC ect and right now I am currently committed to .... Vs oh I want my kids to graduate from Marshall , DeSoto is my passed and I won't entertain them ect... See the difference . It's like he led you on. I can't imagine what the players feel like. The next guy if the right one has an exciting opportunity to bring them together and sport a pretty good team too. Easier District ( I mean winnable) , good subvarsity well except the one team I forget which one), Great facilities , and good fan base  so it seems. 

12 minutes ago, lion70 said:

It fine you are angry and rightfully so. I mean if he said hey I love it here but I don't know what will happen cause I loved in up there as well. I am blessed to be a HC ect and right now I am currently committed to .... Vs oh I want my kids to graduate from Marshall , DeSoto is my passed and I won't entertain them ect... See the difference . It's like he led you on. I can't imagine what the players feel like. The next guy if the right one has an exciting opportunity to bring them together and sport a pretty good team too. Easier District ( I mean winnable) , good subvarsity well except the one team I forget which one), Great facilities , and good fan base  so it seems. 

I think you’re misunderstanding me. I ain’t mad at Mathis, if you want to go, then go. I’m snippy at this old salty character on this old board up here, calling Marshall a toilet and what not, that ain’t Christian. 

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Claude Mathis back to DeSoto, Marshall hires OC Jake Griedl
  • Smoaky unpinned this topic