Marshall Promotes OC Jake Griedl to AD/Head Football Coach...

Smoaky

The fact that the job is posted only on the MISD website and not on the THSCA website coupled with the fact people are reporting this will be a quick hire makes me think that the superintendent already has his guy and is just going through the process of required posting period.  It will be interesting to see if the rumors are actually true.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ontheinside said:

The fact that the job is posted only on the MISD website and not on the THSCA website coupled with the fact people are reporting this will be a quick hire makes me think that the superintendent already has his guy and is just going through the process of required posting period.  It will be interesting to see if the rumors are actually true.

Yep, I’d be willing to bet Dr. Gibson knew this was coming for a while.

15 minutes ago, Maverick2000 said:

Yep, I’d be willing to bet Dr. Gibson knew this was coming for a while.

As has been stated..... Stevie Wonder has seen this coming since this time last year.

The Shenanigans have been ongoing for well over a year at DeSoto with the Pro-Mathis crowd.

TBH..... I'm not 100% sure he would have been offered a contract extension at the end of this school year.  It MAY have happened....but it wouldn't have shocked me if it hadn't.  

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

As has been stated..... Stevie Wonder has seen this coming since this time last year.

The Shenanigans have been ongoing for well over a year at DeSoto with the Pro-Mathis crowd.

TBH..... I'm not 100% sure he would have been offered a contract extension at the end of this school year.  It MAY have happened....but it wouldn't have shocked me if it hadn't.  

Just glad to (hopefully) get the drama behind us, and all parties can now move on with their respective lives. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, playactionpass39 said:

Changing from a wide open, spread the ball around, zone based offense to a "buttoned" down, run 1st, run 2nd and run 3rd based philosophy is NOT going to impact the team?  

Pretty sure we aren't talking about the same person.  If we are.... then his style is more versatile than you think.

I looked at some stats.... and the guy's offense had 1,800 yards passing and 2,600 rushing in 2018 through 11 games.  Marshall had 2800 passing and 2700 running through 13 games.  There was only a difference of about 60 more pass attempts for Marshall...but again... they had 2 more games.

That's not a HUGE difference given two extra games by Marshall AND the fact that he was in a tough 6A district to boot.  No Jacksonville's or Mount Pleasant's in his district.

He had a strong running attack....but clearly they were balanced between the run and the pass.... which is exactly what Marshall has been for a long, long time.

So IF IF IF  he is the guy that comes to Marshall.... I don't think he does wholesale changes.  He clearly was very balanced where he is now.

20 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Maybe you should be more worried why Texas High is losing 6-7 games a season instead of whose coaching in Marshall. 

Mathis was treated like a king.  Too bad he couldn’t keep DeSoto out of his mouth the entire time he was here.  

Just a suggestion. 

Yeah but you were in love with him and defended him every step of the way......

54 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Pretty sure we aren't talking about the same person.  If we are.... then his style is more versatile than you think.

I looked at some stats.... and the guy's offense had 1,800 yards passing and 2,600 rushing in 2018 through 11 games.  Marshall had 2800 passing and 2700 running through 13 games.  There was only a difference of about 60 more pass attempts for Marshall...but again... they had 2 more games.

That's not a HUGE difference given two extra games by Marshall AND the fact that he was in a tough 6A district to boot.  No Jacksonville's or Mount Pleasant's in his district.

He had a strong running attack....but clearly they were balanced between the run and the pass.... which is exactly what Marshall has been for a long, long time.

So IF IF IF  he is the guy that comes to Marshall.... I don't think he does wholesale changes.  He clearly was very balanced where he is now.

Your speaking of a 4a coach from a little town just south of Marshall!!

19 minutes ago, jbabi86 said:

I've been one of his biggest critics for a while.  Starting with the DeSoto fiasco last December through February. 

Ask @LoboFan07, @Pack007@LOBOFAN84, or @THSfanatic several others..... they will attest to my displeasure both on and off the field..... for a little over a year.

I've been very vocal in my commentary concerning overall disgust in many things.

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, jbabi86 said:

Your speaking of a 4a coach from a little town just south of Marshall!!

negative.

Current 6A coach.  Won a title in 5A and two titles in 2A.  Has been in 5 title games.

6 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Whew, when is the last time Marshall ran a multi-formation wing t offense?

No idea..... I would guess maybe in the 70's.  Or before.

Ralph Harris installed a passing game in the early 80's..... but Dennis Parker was the one that made Marshall a "passing team".  One of the first in East Texas..... but as the "run and shoot" offense became en-vogue it spread to just about everyone.....except Longview.  Who remained smashmouth longer than just about everyone in East Texas big boy football.  Now look at them.  

2 minutes ago, lion70 said:

You ought to look into 4a just saying....

There is not a single high school job in the state of Texas in any classification that could get him to leave Carthage.

Probably not many (if any) collegiate jobs that would either.

That's a plain and simple fact.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

There is not a single high school job in the state of Texas in any classification that could get him to leave Carthage.

Probably not many (if any) collegiate jobs that would either.

That's a plain and simple fact.

I know but I would settle for that DC Preston kinda of suprised he hasn't got one of the good gigs. I for one think Marshall is pretty good job.

9 hours ago, mav01 said:

Id hate to see JJ change to that type of offense for his sr season. I mean hes already gotten big D1 offers for being a spread Qb. You really waste next seasons offensive potential going to that. Not to mention having to learn a completely different system. Id try really hard to get Greidl to stay on as OC for one more season with his Qb. Would only help his future resume in long run. 

Y’all gonna mess around and JJ will be enrolled at Carthage this spring.

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

He would leave Carthage .... for a big time college job. Why in the world would you not??????? Carthage is nice small high school job but come on!!!! To me if he’s a real competitor he wants to see if he can do more rather than beating an average teams like Henderson every year in playoffs! He either does it soon I believe or he will Be stuck where he is. If so, and thAts whT he wants fine but I believe he would always WONDER what could have been!

8 minutes ago, TheFootballFan said:

He would leave Carthage .... for a big time college job. Why in the world would you not??????? Carthage is nice small high school job but come on!!!! To me if he’s a real competitor he wants to see if he can do more rather than beating an average teams like Henderson every year in playoffs! He either does it soon I believe or he will Be stuck where he is. If so, and thAts whT he wants fine but I believe he would always WONDER what could have been!

Pretty sure it counts the same still impressive even for little ole 4a.

• Stinks 1

13 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Barry Norton...

stack the box...

he doesn't believe in throwing the ball

That's bogus. He threw the ball bunches when he won state in 2002 with Chris Marshall at qb. He followed Marshall with an NFL qb. I think Texas High went to the playoffs 18 straight years with Norton. I know Marshall had trouble beating Norton.

On 1/15/2019 at 10:02 AM, ilovefootball said:

I am reading all of these comments about the program and where it was before Mathis got to Marshall.  Did anyone in Marshall ask questions to Harper about why he left what he had built leaving family, life-time friends, and a job that he had wanted all of his life according to what I have read,  Not wanting to stir an old pot but I have wondered about this.

he left for an AD job of a 6A school district...  I am guessing money and hours played a huge factor in that...

14 hours ago, jbabi86 said:

Mathis took a shot at him in the MNM because of some of his posts on Smoaky, referring to him as a keyboard warrior etc....  So I am pretty sure @Mavchamp was not licking the mud off of Mathis' boots...

• Thanks 1

Some folks don't like it when you call a spade a spade.

But when you tell one group of people one thing on a Monday night and another group of folks something complete opposite on a Tuesday night...... well... .there is a word for that.

His pants should have been on fire for the last 12-13 months.

That's all I'll say.

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Claude Mathis back to DeSoto, Marshall hires OC Jake Griedl
  • Smoaky unpinned this topic