Marshall Promotes OC Jake Griedl to AD/Head Football Coach...

Smoaky

16 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Pretty sure we aren't talking about the same person.  If we are.... then his style is more versatile than you think.

I looked at some stats.... and the guy's offense had 1,800 yards passing and 2,600 rushing in 2018 through 11 games.  Marshall had 2800 passing and 2700 running through 13 games.  There was only a difference of about 60 more pass attempts for Marshall...but again... they had 2 more games.

That's not a HUGE difference given two extra games by Marshall AND the fact that he was in a tough 6A district to boot.  No Jacksonville's or Mount Pleasant's in his district.

He had a strong running attack....but clearly they were balanced between the run and the pass.... which is exactly what Marshall has been for a long, long time.

So IF IF IF  he is the guy that comes to Marshall.... I don't think he does wholesale changes.  He clearly was very balanced where he is now.

We are absolutely talking about the same person, and I know he can be multiple. However, his roots are what they are and he is not going to venture far from the slot.

And he definitely is going to call every play, so the Offensive Coordinator is gone if he does not get the job.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

We are absolutely talking about the same person, and I know he can be multiple. However, his roots are what they are and he is not going to venture far from the slot.

And he definitely is going to call every play, so the Offensive Coordinator is gone if he does not get the job.

This is correct....he's not a spread guy and even though he's been at times very balanced and will cater the offense to his personnel, his base is his base and everything revolves off that....

It's not the offense the current OC is familiar with and he likely would be gone because he wouldn't call the plays.....it is what it is...its part of the business if it happens...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

He's a GREAT coach.  And his day will come to be a HC.  But he's still very young.  Can't imagine EXPECTING it.

The more of the staff that can stay intact.... the better IMHO.

Like I said....Mathis built an outstanding staff....... I hope whoever gets the HC job..... be it a current staff member or a new guy..... I hope we can retain as much of the current staff as possible.

I know that's rare to happen.  But there have been exceptions.  I hope it's the case.

Either way...... I see positive things happening.

I hate this for Marshall. Mathis did some very good things and by the looks of it kids bought into what he was selling. I think its smart to keep this job in house. Keep as much continuity as possible. From what I can tell both coordinators seem to be respected and liked.

My Thoughts on Coordinators:

The OC is young and has had the success at the highest level playing for multiple state championships (Lake Travis, and look at the coaches that place has produced). Sometimes youth is exactly what a program needs. He is a very smart guy the few times I have spoken to him. High energy! In terms of him ill say this. Age is just a number. Lincoln Riley, Sean McVay, Dabo Swinney was only a WR coach before his gig. He is SHARP and has a BIG vision. 

The DC has been doing this for a long time and has had some good success where he has been, and has had good success with the Marshall boys. He has coordinated a college defense at the D2 level and has had some success at that. He has made everywhere he has been better from the places I know he has been. He is seasoned, seen alot of things, programs, and has great experience. He is a very good individual and has high standards.

Im good with either, i think the players would be good with either. They both love kids, and want best for Marshall. I just hope MISD doesn't stop what they have going right now. Time will tell. Dr. Gibson was quoted saying 12-15 days.

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

He's a GREAT coach.  And his day will come to be a HC.  But he's still very young.  Can't imagine EXPECTING it.

With what that Offense has done, I can see him expecting it. 

From what little I know, he has a lot on the ball, is very organized, has a plan in place to be a Head Coach and is simply going after what he wants.

Continuity on Offense is more important than it is on defense, IMHO. If a State Championship is the goal next year, and a if it is a real possibility, then the OC should be the hire.

I agree.  Both of our coordinators are outstanding.  As is the rest of the staff.

Both deserve a shot.

All of this is  conjecture at this point.  Fun to talk about.

And like I said....excited about the future.  Lots of talent coming up.

And when you have guys with (multiple) state championship pedigree calling.... that's a good place to be in.  MUCH different than back in 2013.

44 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I agree.  Both of our coordinators are outstanding.  As is the rest of the staff.

Both deserve a shot.

All of this is  conjecture at this point.  Fun to talk about.

And like I said....excited about the future.  Lots of talent coming up.

And when you have guys with (multiple) state championship pedigree calling.... that's a good place to be in.  MUCH different than back in 2013.

I agree 100%, Marshall is in a great place right now. The key is to not screw it up.

A bird in the hand is much better than two in the bush.

18 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

negative.

Current 6A coach.  Won a title in 5A and two titles in 2A.  Has been in 5 title games.

Makes me feel better that we hung 70 on his team.

19 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

That's not a HUGE difference given two extra games by Marshall AND the fact that he was in a tough 6A district to boot.  No Jacksonville's or Mount Pleasant's in his district.

I’d disagree with no weak teams in that district after figuring out who you’re talking about. Two 1-9 teams, one 2-8 team. And their supposed great team that his team beat ended up losing to a 3-7 team in the first round. 

• LOL! 1

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 8:53 PM, Maverick2000 said:

Why so negative? I’m assuming by “coaches like him” you mean black men, so yeah, Bill Harper, Thed Harris, Claude Mathis...typical Marshall. Oh I forgot the previous superintendent Marc Smith. I’d say Marshall has a better record of equality than most. I don’t want any trouble, but man, don’t trash my town. 

I did not say anything about "coaches like him" or necessarily meaning "black" men.  that is solely your line of thought.  Then again, by your reaction, my comment probably hit close to home no matter the ethnicity of the other men you referenced or their positions.  BTW, Marshall had not beaten Texas High in a long, long time before Mathis got there and that win was pure luck, a fluke, no  matter what your district record was.  I know for a fact that all, or just about all of those losses were to Texas High.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:07 PM, Mavchamp said:

Maybe you should be more worried why Texas High is losing 6-7 games a season instead of whose coaching in Marshall. 

Mathis was treated like a king.  Too bad he couldn’t keep DeSoto out of his mouth the entire time he was here.  

Just a suggestion. 

Last season was the only season in the past 20 years that we have had that many losses.  Over that same span of time, I know for a fact that Marshall has had many more seasons like that than we have!  LOL!!!

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:23 PM, lion70 said:

Call me crazy but color of skin never entered my mind when wanting a coach. Coach having character and discipline is more important to me. Marshall deserved better than the Nick Saban treatment (Miami Dolphins). I can't understand why you can't be honest.

I'm always brutally honest.  That is why I am sooooo disliked.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 9:42 PM, Maverick2000 said:

I think you’re misunderstanding me. I ain’t mad at Mathis, if you want to go, then go. I’m snippy at this old salty character on this old board up here, calling Marshall a toilet and what not, that ain’t Christian. 

Actually, FYI, I called all of East Texas a toilet area.  What I see in Marshall I see in other towns in East Texas.  Same old song...IMHO, I see tons of un-Christian things going on in high school athletics and you guys take it as par for the course even if you are able to see the dirt which 99% of the time you see only what you want to see.

Edited by SiriusDogon7
Completing thought process.

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 1:00 AM, 68Hornet said:

Haven't heard anything from anyone, but I'm going to take a wild guess and say don't be surprised if former Texas High coach Barry Norton isn't in the discussion.

HAHAHAHA!!!!  My exact thoughts!!!!  He would be a perfect fit!!!!

24 minutes ago, SiriusDogon7 said:

I did not say anything about "coaches like him" or necessarily meaning "black" men.  that is solely your line of thought.  Then again, by your reaction, my comment probably hit close to home no matter the ethnicity of the other men you referenced or their positions.  BTW, Marshall had not beaten Texas High in a long, long time before Mathis got there and that win was pure luck, a fluke, no  matter what your district record was.  I know for a fact that all, or just about all of those losses were to Texas High.

Ok cool #GoMavs!!!

On ‎1‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 11:00 AM, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Barry Norton...

stack the box...

he doesn't believe in throwing the ball

You must be a high school freshman.  Norton threw it around with the best of them.  He beat Matthew Stafford and HP with Ryan Mallett an actually beat HP 2 out of three times before the HP win season before last.  Our record against them is better than Marshall's, all of the games were close, and we never got shut out by HP.  We won our state title throwing the ball in addition to having a back that ran for 2,000+ yards.  You don't know what you are talking about.

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Claude Mathis back to DeSoto, Marshall hires OC Jake Griedl
  • Smoaky unpinned this topic