Marshall Promotes OC Jake Griedl to AD/Head Football Coach...

Smoaky

I don't think the HC decision should be based on if they will be here for the 'long haul'.......but rather the best choice for the program right now. As I mentioned earlier, unfortunately MHS is in a position of being an ideal 'stepping stone' job....great talent, excellent support from the administration, loyal fan base (that actually travels), good (and hopefully getting better) facilities.....AND the curse of being a big small school.....big enough to get noticed, but too small to be considered a 'dream job' for really talented and ambitious coaches......both qualities you want in a man to lead your program.

IMO hire the best guy, and trust that the system will reach the point that it perpetuates itself......while one HC excels and positions himself for a shot at a 'dream job', a successor is being groomed to take over.

Times have changed......there aren't many Gordon Wood's (or Scott Surratt's) out there anymore that are happy (and satisfied) with settling in a smaller town and excelling over the long haul.

Either coordinator would be a great choice......or I trust that if the administration does bring someone in from outside it's simply because the new guy was just too good to pass up.......but make the choice based on who can keep the program pointed in the right direction, the momentum growing and hopefully getting his successor ready to take the reins. 

Bottom line, if it's a stepping stone job, make it one that that any coach who has the talent and ambition to excel really wants.

And if they want to stay for the long haul, it's the best of both worlds.

***Breaking*** Marshall ISD promoted OC Jake Griedl to AD/HFB coach at Marshall where he was on staff w/Claude Mathis who left for DeSoto. Griedl was WR's coach at Lake Travis on their last state championship team (2016), was a Graduate Assistant at Southern Ark and played college football as a wide receiver at Concordia, Nebraska. 

• Like 2

David Smoak reporting that OC Jake Griedl got the job.

Great choice...... I will support him 1000%

Hope he can retain as much of the current staff as possible!

Before coming to Marshall in 2017, Coach Griedl spent the previous four seasons as an assistant coach on staff at Lake Travis High School, which won the Class 6A state championship in 2016. Coach Griedl coached wide receivers and was the strength and conditioning coordinator with the Cavaliers. During his four years on staff, Lake Travis won two state championships, with three trips to the state semifinals. Prior to his time at Lake Travis, Griedl coached one season at Boerne High School after one year coaching receives at Southern Arkansas University in Magnolia, Ark. 

• Like 1

Mav fans should be pretty pleased with this decision. 

This will likely keep a staff that went 10-3 largely intact.  Not to mention the district titles and the district winning streak. 

Heading up one of the top offenses in 5A last season doesn’t hurt either. 

It was great seeing interest from some top notch guys around the state. 

But IMHO an inside hire was in the best interest for now.  And either choice was going to be a good one.

🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Outstanding choice. 

Two great choices within the program.  Couldn’t go wrong with either one of them.

Hopefully this will keep a very successful staff together to continue this run. 

Couldn't agree more, on all counts.......and really hope we can largely keep this staff together......come on spring ball!!

12 hours ago, Maverick2000 said:

Great day for Maverick football. Congratulations Coach Griedl, know that Marshall has your back!

I agree with that 100%, great decision for the future of Maverick football. 

There will be some changes, there always is with a new HFC in charge. But, the transition should be seamless.

Kudos to Marshall leadership for making this decision in such a timely manner. 

I really think the changes will be subtle but noticeable, and the results will be positive and visible.

12 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Mav fans should be pretty pleased with this decision. 

This will likely keep a staff that went 10-3 largely intact.  Not to mention the district titles and the district winning streak. 

Heading up one of the top offenses in 5A last season doesn’t hurt either. 

It was great seeing interest from some top notch guys around the state. 

But IMHO an inside hire was in the best interest for now.  And either choice was going to be a good one.

🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼🤘🏼

IMHO, definitely the best move for the present and future of Maverick Football.

There will be some changes, there always are with a new HFC in charge. But, the transition should be seamless.

Some coaches will move on, some will stay, and the ones that come in may be better than the ones that leave.

Marshall, however, should not miss a beat.

Kudos to Marshall leadership for making this decision in such a timely manner. 

I really think the changes will be subtle but noticeable, and the results will be positive and visible.

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Claude Mathis back to DeSoto, Marshall hires OC Jake Griedl

Mav Nation should be really excited about this IMHO. 

Keeping things as intact as possible was paramount.  

While it was flattering to get so much statewide interest.... starting over again just didn’t make sense.  

Exciting times ahead, I believe. 

Kudos to Dr Gibson and the school board for moving quickly and having faith in this staff 🤘🏼

• Like 1

Young bright mind. If my math is correct, I coached against him when he was at Lake Travis. He was the WR coach and I was the DB coach. I was on high alert that week. Most disciplined receivers we faced all year. They were not the most athletic we had faced but they were the best coached for sure. We were lucky to escape with a W.

Hearing through the grapevine that DC will stay....along with several others on staff.

Sure hope so. 

This could be shaping up to be something really special with the OC and the DC sticking around.

1 hour ago, TheFootballFan said:

Just get a good coach who will stick around more then a month!!! All this talk and drama is the issue!!! Geez!!!! Talk is cheap!!! Get the right guy not a “big” name! Just for once stop with all the hype and get a good man who will stay to lead the program! Wow !

Think that was accomplished this go round. Young guy that moved his family here from the get go. Has titles at the 6a level. 

• Smoaky unpinned this topic