What will 3a D1 look like next year?

IronWall9

Region 2 should be ready again.  Will Malakoff match this past season or will Gladewater, Tatum, Jefferson challenge?  Can Atlanta match the success they had in the playoffs?  What about the other regions?  Man I can't wait to see how it plays out!!!

3 hours ago, IronWall9 said:

Region 2 should be ready again.  Will Malakoff match this past season or will Gladewater, Tatum, Jefferson challenge?  Can Atlanta match the success they had in the playoffs?  What about the other regions?  Man I can't wait to see how it plays out!!!

Atlanta could very well be better then last year. We will have a very accurate throwing QB I’m just not sold on our Oline yet

2 hours ago, BigBoyRabbit03 said:

Atlanta could very well be better then last year. We will have a very accurate throwing QB I’m just not sold on our Oline yet

That's my concern too,  our o-line needs to step it up.  We need to control the line of scrimmage.

22 hours ago, IronWall9 said:

Malakoff will most definitely be the team to beat. I think Malakoff is head and shoulders above everyone in region 2 right now. Gladewater imo will be the team that can challenge them the most. Tatum will be tougher too but I’m not sure they’ll be able to get through Gladewater. Both were young last season so it should be interesting, I just think GW has the upper hand. Atlanta will be Atlanta, so I’m not sure what we’ll see. That’s not a knock on them but if they have the mindset of just lining up and trying to outrun and out athlete teams then just like Jefferson, that’ll win some games but lose the big ones when it matters the most. I’m not sure what Atlanta returns this season. Jefferson I don’t believe at this point should be in the conversation. They’re depleted in a lot of positions. The upside is that we’ve had 3 consecutive seasons of going 2 rounds deep and have a jv team that went 8-1 last season that should help some. Kemp? Commerce? Madison? West Rusk? Will any of these teams cause trouble in 2019?

47 minutes ago, Dawg665 said:

Malakoff will most definitely be the team to beat. I think Malakoff is head and shoulders above everyone in region 2 right now. Gladewater imo will be the team that can challenge them the most. Tatum will be tougher too but I’m not sure they’ll be able to get through Gladewater. Both were young last season so it should be interesting, I just think GW has the upper hand. Atlanta will be Atlanta, so I’m not sure what we’ll see. That’s not a knock on them but if they have the mindset of just lining up and trying to outrun and out athlete teams then just like Jefferson, that’ll win some games but lose the big ones when it matters the most. I’m not sure what Atlanta returns this season. Jefferson I don’t believe at this point should be in the conversation. They’re depleted in a lot of positions. The upside is that we’ve had 3 consecutive seasons of going 2 rounds deep and have a jv team that went 8-1 last season that should help some. Kemp? Commerce? Madison? West Rusk? Will any of these teams cause trouble in 2019?

I definitely think Malakoff is the cream of the crop in Region 2.  Gladewater would be second with that young team they had.  I wasn't sure what Jefferson had lost but figured they would reload and be ready for a run.  Atlanta lost some key players but return a lot but we have to get out of that mindset you mentioned. 

32 minutes ago, IronWall9 said:

I definitely think Malakoff is the cream of the crop in Region 2.  Gladewater would be second with that young team they had.  I wasn't sure what Jefferson had lost but figured they would reload and be ready for a run.  Atlanta lost some key players but return a lot but we have to get out of that mindset you mentioned. 

We can relate to that mindset lol. Jefferson lost a lot of quality athletes, almost indescribable tbh. Jefferson does return some very good players but there are a lot of questions with the o line, d line, and lbs. Have a really good jv team moving up that I mentioned earlier so there will definitely be some youthful positions this season. Plus there have been some coaching changes too so we’ll see how that works out but I’m hearing good things. Jefferson and Atlanta are mirrors of each other lol, we both just reload and hope for the best.

Guest Tiger03lb
8 hours ago, Dawg665 said:

We got to fill in on our o line, couple of lb's but we bring back a lot. I think we'll be okay filling in on those spots with jv coming up and other varsity players. I think the only thing that'll hurt us will be injuries and not playing like we should. 

GW will be tough. They return a lot. I think if they can open up their playbook and have the players to do that. They will be really hard to beat. Imo, their secondary will be their weak point. Does that fb return next year? He was a beast and did a hell of a job blocking for carter!

Tatum, I think they were just young and imo Tatum kinda has that rely on athlete's mentality as well. I think if their o line and d line step up they will be force to deal with. 

Atlanta has a real good rb coming back. I think it'll depend on their qb play and if they will have a o line and d line. 

Jefferson is in the same boat as Atlanta. 

This was Kemp's last season of having some good talent. Not sure about commerce and wr. I don't think Madison will make any noise. 

What does MV, Mineola, and sabine return? Mineola seem to have stuck in on some games but didn't finish them. Well actually all 3 teams I mentioned were like that. 

Driskel was named coach of the year for class 3ad1. That'll have something to do with it too. He has changed this program and community around from the moment he started. Hope he stays as long as he wants here. 

13 hours ago, Tiger03lb said:

We got to fill in on our o line, couple of lb's but we bring back a lot. I think we'll be okay filling in on those spots with jv coming up and other varsity players. I think the only thing that'll hurt us will be injuries and not playing like we should. 

GW will be tough. They return a lot. I think if they can open up their playbook and have the players to do that. They will be really hard to beat. Imo, their secondary will be their weak point. Does that fb return next year? He was a beast and did a hell of a job blocking for carter!

Tatum, I think they were just young and imo Tatum kinda has that rely on athlete's mentality as well. I think if their o line and d line step up they will be force to deal with. 

Atlanta has a real good rb coming back. I think it'll depend on their qb play and if they will have a o line and d line. 

Jefferson is in the same boat as Atlanta. 

This was Kemp's last season of having some good talent. Not sure about commerce and wr. I don't think Madison will make any noise. 

What does MV, Mineola, and sabine return? Mineola seem to have stuck in on some games but didn't finish them. Well actually all 3 teams I mentioned were like that. 

Driskel was named coach of the year for class 3ad1. That'll have something to do with it too. He has changed this program and community around from the moment he started. Hope he stays as long as he wants here. 

Keeping the injury bug away and playing like you should will be a key for every contender but it's high school kids and you never know.  Atlanta will return all but one o lineman but we will lose all but one on the d line.  I'm not sure what we will look like a qb but have an excellent crop of rb's coming back. 

8 hours ago, IronWall9 said:

Keeping the injury bug away and playing like you should will be a key for every contender but it's high school kids and you never know.  Atlanta will return all but one o lineman but we will lose all but one on the d line.  I'm not sure what we will look like a qb but have an excellent crop of rb's coming back. 

In all honesty I believe the QB this year will be better as long as our Oline gives us some time. He’s  an actual QB that can throw very accurate and has a decent arm. Andy was good but he wasn’t a real QB. He would have been a better slot WR and safety if we had someone to play QB last year. If our Oline blocks we will be more balanced then we have been since 2016.

17 hours ago, whs1965 said:

Winnsboro WILL PRAYING TO GET THE SEASON OVER WITH AGAIN NEXT SEASON AND PRAYING FOR A FAVORABLE REALIGNMENT.

They did get stuck in a very tough district. There will be 6 teams fighting for 4 playoff spots this year. Gladewater will be the early favorite with Tatum right behind them. Mineola returns their stud running back but unless some others step up i believe they will be a 1 man show. West Rusk lost a lot but they will rebound. White Oak, if i remember correctly, had a ton of injuries this past season. I expect them to rebound as well. Sabine returns almost a lot and should be pretty scrappy again. They just gotta learn how to win. Coach Sharp is doing great things. From what i hear his off season program is tough. Don't be surprised to see them in the playoffs. Also we welcome all the rain we can get on fridays. 😁

On ‎1‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 4:41 PM, BigBoyRabbit03 said:

In all honesty I believe the QB this year will be better as long as our Oline gives us some time. He’s  an actual QB that can throw very accurate and has a decent arm. Andy was good but he wasn’t a real QB. He would have been a better slot WR and safety if we had someone to play QB last year. If our Oline blocks we will be more balanced then we have been since 2016.

Who is in line to take over at qb?  Our oline was soft last year, I hope they are in the weight room busting their tails off this offseason.  If our oline blocks we will be tough on offense.  I hope the defense plays like they did in the playoffs and if so we will be a well rounded team.  Man I'm ready for it to get here!!!

8 hours ago, IronWall9 said:

Who is in line to take over at qb?  Our oline was soft last year, I hope they are in the weight room busting their tails off this offseason.  If our oline blocks we will be tough on offense.  I hope the defense plays like they did in the playoffs and if so we will be a well rounded team.  Man I'm ready for it to get here!!!

Matt’s son I watched him play some and the boy can play. If he continues to improve we could be very dangerous. We still have Nelson and Hamilton so we will be fine at the RB position. Defense wise I believe we will start off slow again then step it up in district. I honestly believe we will be better overall this year but who knows.

18 hours ago, BigBoyRabbit03 said:

Matt’s son I watched him play some and the boy can play. If he continues to improve we could be very dangerous. We still have Nelson and Hamilton so we will be fine at the RB position. Defense wise I believe we will start off slow again then step it up in district. I honestly believe we will be better overall this year but who knows.

Okay, I didn't get to watch him play any this past year.  Nelson and Hamilton will hold down the rb, plus that freshman Kinney looked good when he got some carries against Kemp.  I'm afraid we will have some struggles on defense but hopefully they will get it together before district.  I think we have a chance to be better this year also but like you said you never know.

• 5 months later...

It's almost that time again!! I'm ready for this season to kick off!!  What is everyone hearing about their team?  Atlanta could be in for another dog fight with Jefferson( hope we can give some revenge) and Mount Vernon (with the Art Briles hire).  Plus the non-district schedule Atlanta has, hoping we come out of that injury free.

On 1/24/2019 at 6:53 PM, Tiger03lb said:

No, FB graduated, but the Bears have never had problems reloading at FB or RB.

Guest Tiger03lb
2 hours ago, IronWall9 said:

It's almost that time again!! I'm ready for this season to kick off!!  What is everyone hearing about their team?  Atlanta could be in for another dog fight with Jefferson( hope we can give some revenge) and Mount Vernon (with the Art Briles hire).  Plus the non-district schedule Atlanta has, hoping we come out of that injury free.

District 7 could be up for anyone to take. Going to take the trip over to Atlanta when they play GW. At least field conditions won't be to blame this time. Lol. How are the fields coming along for GW and Atlanta?

1 minute ago, Tiger03lb said:

District 7 could be up for anyone to take. Going to take the trip over to Atlanta when they play GW. At least field conditions won't be to blame this time. Lol. How are the fields coming along for GW and Atlanta?

Gladewater has turf and I’m pretty sure Atlanta is currently getting turf installed. 

Guest Tiger03lb
2 hours ago, Golfingnut said:

No, FB graduated, but the Bears have never had problems reloading at FB or RB.

Wasn't there another rb that helped Carter out last season that was decent? 

Guest Tiger03lb
Just now, Bclove05 said:

Gladewater has turf and I’m pretty sure Atlanta is currently getting turf installed. 

Yes sir you are correct. I think GW's field was about done from what I read in a paper.