⚾ 2019 College Baseball

ETXfan16

4 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I just think you should play to win every game.  If you’re just wanting experience for your 4-5-6 pitchers schedule easier teams instead of teams that will embarrass you.  

Playing those big time teams are only fun when youre not spotting them 10 runs the first 3 innings.

I disagree. You want to win games that matter most.

A&M lost a game earlier this season to Incarnate Word on a Wednesday (our 5th game in 6 days, so we were short on pitching). We COULD have thrown John Doxakis and likely won the game, but we saved him for the weekend. Meanwhile, ICW used their Saturday pitcher for 4 innings to ensure that they got the win once the game was close halfway through. 

We lost the game 6-5 but then went on to beat Baylor, TCU, and Houston over the weekend (all thanks to stellar pitching by pitchers who we sat out during the midweek) because we had our best pitching available while they went on to lose 2 of 3 to UT Arlington. Wins over those 3 teams boost A&M's RPI and such WAY more than going 2-2 that week with one of those wins being ICW. 

Now I'm not saying to just concede midweek games. But saving good pitching for conference opponents is way more important. Texas took 2 of 3 from Tech this past weekend... Even if they lose to Arkansas tonight, it'd be WAY better for their cause to take 2 of 3 from TCU than to split with Arkansas midweek.

• Like 1

Well I wished I hadn’t watch the Texas/Arkansas game last night but Texas scraped together a win. 

Texas is still struggling at the plate. They scored 7 but the Hogs walked 18. Texas has the bases loaded 5 straight innings and should’ve put the game away. 

Mine thing that was nice to see from Texas is the bullpen did a good job. Went 7 2/3 and only gave up 1 run. Quintanilla got the save vs a very good offense in front of a large (6,200+) crowd. 

20 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

I just think you should play to win every game.  If you’re just wanting experience for your 4-5-6 pitchers schedule easier teams instead of teams that will embarrass you.  

Playing those big time teams are only fun when youre not spotting them 10 runs the first 3 innings.

Oh I think you play to win every game. But with the way the season is setup with conference games on weekends and non conference on Tuesday nights, your weekend rotation is going to be much stronger. Even with the 4-5-6 guys in the rotation on week nights, they are better than what we saw the past 2 nights.... Or at least I hope so.

I watched UT 7 Arkansas 6 last night...THE UGLIEST game I've possibly ever sat through. I am even now more in favor of a electronic strike zone (reads player height for zone)...so sick of inconsistency and just getting worn down in my older age maybe...and I love baseball. 

Now, back to the game...Texas has got to get their hitting going! They are the luckiest team in the world to get out of some of these games with wins (6-0 in one run games). 

40 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I watched UT 7 Arkansas 6 last night...THE UGLIEST game I've possibly ever sat through. I am even now more in favor of a electronic strike zone (reads player height for zone)...so sick of inconsistency and just getting worn down in my older age maybe...and I love baseball. 

Now, back to the game...Texas has got to get their hitting going! They are the luckiest team in the world to get out of some of these games with wins (6-0 in one run games). 

I was watching the game here and there. Had some work to do but it was on in our living room. From what I've been reading the umpiring was really bad on both sides. That's always the worst.

• Like 1

yep - super hit and miss, strikes/balls all over the place. the worst are maybe the down the middle of the plate, between knees & belt constantly left as a ball then multiple pitches fired straight down the white line of the batter's boxes (6 - 12 inches out) called strikes...that keeps people off balance. curves that are beautiful and drop from breast to right below belt (glove doesn't move) is a ball...curve/sliders from lefties that bite nearly into right handers back foot is a strike.

22 hours ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I disagree. You want to win games that matter most.

A&M lost a game earlier this season to Incarnate Word on a Wednesday (our 5th game in 6 days, so we were short on pitching). We COULD have thrown John Doxakis and likely won the game, but we saved him for the weekend. Meanwhile, ICW used their Saturday pitcher for 4 innings to ensure that they got the win once the game was close halfway through. 

We lost the game 6-5 but then went on to beat Baylor, TCU, and Houston over the weekend (all thanks to stellar pitching by pitchers who we sat out during the midweek) because we had our best pitching available while they went on to lose 2 of 3 to UT Arlington. Wins over those 3 teams boost A&M's RPI and such WAY more than going 2-2 that week with one of those wins being ICW. 

Now I'm not saying to just concede midweek games. But saving good pitching for conference opponents is way more important. Texas took 2 of 3 from Tech this past weekend... Even if they lose to Arkansas tonight, it'd be WAY better for their cause to take 2 of 3 from TCU than to split with Arkansas midweek.

6 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Oh I think you play to win every game. But with the way the season is setup with conference games on weekends and non conference on Tuesday nights, your weekend rotation is going to be much stronger. Even with the 4-5-6 guys in the rotation on week nights, they are better than what we saw the past 2 nights.... Or at least I hope so.

I understand both sides of this argument.  If you have guys that aren’t you best pitchers and you want experience for them, why trot them to the bump to get experience against possibly the best hitting team in the region.  You pitch them against Xavier, incarnate word, Texas A&M commerce, etc....  start your ace on Tuesday night against Arkansas and give him no more than 70 pitches and get bullpen work.  These guys aren’t sissies.  They can go Tuesday then Friday night.  

31 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I understand both sides of this argument.  If you have guys that aren’t you best pitchers and you want experience for them, why trot them to the bump to get experience against possibly the best hitting team in the region.  You pitch them against Xavier, incarnate word, Texas A&M commerce, etc....  start your ace on Tuesday night against Arkansas and give him no more than 70 pitches and get bullpen work.  These guys aren’t sissies.  They can go Tuesday then Friday night.  

They can, but a lot of that experience for young guys on Tuesday nights is prepping them for tournament time and postseason. That's why you need to have even your bottom rotation guys in there getting some innings. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

They can, but a lot of that experience for young guys on Tuesday nights is prepping them for tournament time and postseason. That's why you need to have even your bottom rotation guys in there getting some innings. 

I agree they need experience,  but after you’re down 10-0 against an Arkansas team or during meaningless ooc games.  Start your best/better guys and get them good work against good teams.  I’d have started Elder Tuesday night and said 5 full innings or 70 pitches, whichever came first.  That’s just my opinion though.  Let the lesser guys get work in less important situations.  I say do it that way so when selection for Regionals/super Regs are made you can show you’ve played with and beat good teams.  It could be the difference in 8th or 9th and being allowed to host

Just now, DB2point0 said:

I agree they need experience,  but after you’re down 10-0 against an Arkansas team or during meaningless ooc games.  Start your best/better guys and get them good work against good teams.  I’d have started Elder Tuesday night and said 5 full innings or 70 pitches, whichever came first.  That’s just my opinion though.  Let the lesser guys get work in less important situations.  I say do it that way so when deletion for Regionals/super Regs are made you can show you’ve played with and beat good teams.  It could be the difference in 8th or 9th and being allowed to host

I don't disagree. I will say, I'm not a huge fan of playing Tuesday/Wednesday after playing a series against a top 10 team and then having to play another one against a top 25 team on the road. 

15 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

I don't disagree. I will say, I'm not a huge fan of playing Tuesday/Wednesday after playing a series against a top 10 team and then having to play another one against a top 25 team on the road. 

What makes me mad, is the fact that these Pitchers "REFUSE" to pitch to contact. 

Throw the ball across the plate, it is ok if the hitter puts the ball in play. Hitters will get themselves out 70% of the time.

I don't care if you are a Freshman or a Senior, in little league, junior high, high school, college or professional baseball, throw STRIKES. Pitch to contact and compete.

I was very disappointed in the kid from New Diana.  He has the velo and the movement to be in the mix, but he couldn't find the strike zone, or anywhere close to the strike zone.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

What makes me mad, is the fact that these Pitchers "REFUSE" to pitch to contact. 

Throw the ball across the plate, it is ok if the hitter puts the ball in play. Hitters will get themselves out 70% of the time.

I don't care if you are a Freshman or a Senior, in little league, junior high, high school, college or professional baseball, throw STRIKES. Pitch to contact and compete.

I was very disappointed in the kid from New Diana.  He has the velo and the movement to be in the mix, but he couldn't find the strike zone, or anywhere close to the strike zone.

I pitched to contact when I played because I didn't throw hard enough,  but it was a great tool for me because I knew how to locate the ball and was accurate. 

Pitchers these days are throwing harder than ever before. It's easy for a kid to throw 92-95 and just think that their velo can get them by. In high school it could, but when you start facing hitters that actually know how to hit and see the ball, that's when you start walking people (and the strikezone gets smaller). A lot of these Texas pitchers can throw hard but cannot throw a strike to save there life. Henley and Elder are solid and both have great velo and mechanics. Cobb has a lot of potential. I think nowadays because the kids throw harder, they think that makes them a better pitcher. And there's so much more to it than going up there and just chunking it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Exactly! Everyone wants to rack up strikeouts but just get outs. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ETXfan16 said:

I pitched to contact when I played because I didn't throw hard enough,  but it was a great tool for me because I knew how to locate the ball and was accurate. 

Pitchers these days are throwing harder than ever before. It's easy for a kid to throw 92-95 and just think that their velo can get them by. In high school it could, but when you start facing hitters that actually know how to hit and see the ball, that's when you start walking people (and the strikezone gets smaller). A lot of these Texas pitchers can throw hard but cannot throw a strike to save there life. Henley and Elder are solid and both have great velo and mechanics. Cobb has a lot of potential. I think nowadays because the kids throw harder, they think that makes them a better pitcher. And there's so much more to it that just going up there and just chunking it.

I think Cobb and Madden will be aces eventually. Elder and Henley are 2nd and 3rd year guys, they have more wisdom and coaching. If the young guys can grow like the older two, Texas will be very formidable in the coming years. 

Just now, JustAFan11 said:

I think Cobb and Madden will be aces eventually. Elder and Henley are 2nd and 3rd year guys, they have more wisdom and coaching. If the young guys can grow like the older two, Texas will be very formidable in the coming years. 

I agree. They have a lot of talent on that pitching staff. The young guys will only get better. You can just tell that their inexperience is their weakness, but give em some time and they will be solid. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, JustAFan11 said:

Texas will do nothing but get better every year until eventually they have another magical year and win CWS.

Pierce does a great job, and there is just too much baseball talent in Texas for the Longhorns to not be the beneficiary. 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

What makes me mad, is the fact that these Pitchers "REFUSE" to pitch to contact

uh yep...my wife I'm sure was tired of hearing me going bananas about the exact same things...even if you aren't your best as a pitcher, you can be close enough to make batters have to worry about swinging/protecting the plate. batters were not even doing that, they were simply looking for walks and sadly HBP. 

Closer Kam Fields blew a 2-0 lead in the bottom of the 9th and TCU took game 1   3-2. 

Texas broke a scoreless game in the top of the 8th when Duke Ellis stoke home with 2 outs. Texas would score an insurance run in the 9th but it didn’t hold up. Fields came in after Elder hit the lead off batter to open the home half of the 9th. Fields never recorded an out, he gave up 2 walks, 2 wild pitches, and 2 singles.