Mount Enterprise

ericflair

51 minutes ago, ericflair said:

Saw this job posted what is the deal. Have been there a couple times they have nice facilities. Seem to have some low participation numbers sometimes. Any Mount posters on here?

Mount Enterprise has six-man enrollment but competes in 2A D-II. Very small pool of players to draw from. There's usually a couple quick ones and/or the occasional Henderson castoff (though West Rusk's been getting most of those lately), but very little depth or size.

Average facilities, though they did recently upgrade their stadium a couple years ago. 

Overall, not a great place for an experienced AD/HC, but it's an adequate start for a small-school coordinator who wants to break into being the head coach. 

2 minutes ago, AKA said:

Mount Enterprise has six-man enrollment but competes in 2A D-II. Very small pool of players to draw from. There's usually a couple quick ones and/or the occasional Henderson castoff (though West Rusk's been getting most of those lately), but very little depth or size.

Average facilities, though they did recently upgrade their stadium a couple years ago. 

Overall, not a great place for an experienced AD/HC, but it's an adequate start for a small-school coordinator who wants to break into being the head coach. 

i would think this would be the perfect opportunity for Jeff Griffin........longtime carthage assistant..............to become a head coach.   

14 minutes ago, bmoc said:

i would think this would be the perfect opportunity for Jeff Griffin........longtime carthage assistant..............to become a head coach.   

If someone can win consistently in Mount Enterprise, they could just about have their pick of 3A-4A jobs. 

1 hour ago, AKA said:

Hmmm...their enrollment for the last alignment was 121...the cutoff for 2ADII  was 105-161...the numbers I find for 2018-19 are 113, still above 6M numbers 

They do have a really good RB coming back

10 minutes ago, Strike51 said:

Isn't he a JH coach?

he may be but if you have ever went to a Carthage  game on friday just notice how close to Surratt he stays.   makes one wonder if maybe griffin is the mastermind behind all the state championships.  just saying.

• Like 1

Pondering the Data Points:

Most recently turned in enrollment figure was 121, which is only 16 over the Six-Man threshold

Looking at this past year's roster, they had 2 seniors, 9 juniors, 3 sophomores, and 8 freshman.

It becomes obvious that some classes are definitely under-represented in the sport. There's either a lot of females at the school or a lot of males who not interested in breaking a sweat.

Looks like a staff of six, and that includes the two Junior High coaches.

No indication of the JH record or the JH participation rate.

Interesting to note that on the Superintendent's page on their website, he made a special effort to say his favorite sport is basketball … of course he also said that he “has a cat that has emotional and psychological problems.”  However, that may be caused by the cat's concern about its owner's choice of a favorite sport.

This past year, they were 4-6 and 2-3 in district … with wins over Colmesneil (3-7 one of which was a forfeit and the other two vs Houston Kipp and Burkeville), Burkeville (whose only win was a forfeit), 1-9 Maud, and 2-7 Overton (with one win over a team that couldn't finish the year and the other vs Maud). They did enter the playoffs, but quickly learned that they were no match for the likes of Muenster.

Their last winning season was 2012. Since then, they are 19-41; defense appears to be a major concern since over that period they yielded 39.78 points per game.

Looking at starters returning, the following were given mention on the All-District Team – keeping in mind that there were 126 district players mentioned in a somewhat weak district – which kinda seems inflated, but a sign of recent times. That's why I prefer to refer to them as “Quality Returning Starters”

Offense:

1st Team: RB (AP All State HM), OL, Kicker

2nd Team: OL

HM: WR (2), OL

Defense:

1st Team: None

2nd Team: DL, ILB, OLB, DB

HM: DL (2), ILB, OLB

The job is what it is ... and what it is, should be looked at very carefully.

1 hour ago, Greezychef said:

Personally I think this job could be the perfect opportunity for the right guy.  Mt E usually has some good kids.  Expectations probably aren't very high,  I'm sure they just want their kids to compete and represent the district. Looking at this district it seems like playoffs wouldn't be too much of a stretch on a yearly basis.   I know a lot of people from there, dang good people.   

A young guy that has been a successful oc or DC at a small school would be a good fit.  Somebody young with lots of energy but with plenty of experience and playoff wins.  

Always good to read your take ... people with their roots truly set in East Texas red dirt tend to say what they think grounded in common sense.

It's good to hear you say that the people there are good people. It's hard to build a solid house on a bad foundation.  This includes re-modeling an older one.

Thoughts in passing from another old guy ….

Attracting enough to field a JV team for a school this size is probably being overally optimistic – but having a group of freshman being thrust into the transition from JH to Varsity is not a favorable endeavor for immediate success. That learning curve can be steep, especially with players of average ability. It's always nice to be able to offer kids an opportunity to get their feet wet and on the bottom in the shallow end before throwing them into the deep end of the pool and then telling them just to tread water. When you're a teacher in class, you can't tell a student who can't read at all to pick up a novel and just try harder.

But to be quite frank, something is apparently wrong here in the grade level participation rate. While I haven't worked at a school quite this small, I have worked for years in schools that had about 50 per grade level. Considering half of those are generally female, that left us with 25 possibilities. From experience, we learned if we couldn't get about half of those in the football program as freshman, then we had a participation problem. And a participation problem usually results in a competition problem – especially if schools we were playing were getting those twelve possibilities. If, in the end, we couldn't get half of that half to be able to start by at least by their junior year, then we would be short-handed.

Of course there are always exceptions and abberations when humans are applied to data and bell curves, but with all that being said, when you see a participation rate of 1/3 or less, you need to ask yourself why. Is it an actually an abberation – or is it an issue of football operations and/or procedures?

It's kinda of hard here to say definitively without access to the current and past JH involvement rates.

In all my years, I can say that I was never scared of any coaching job. However, to take over this one, I would ask a lot of questions. I would want to know about the support and expectations the community and administration have for the program. I would have to know people who are willing to come as an assistant to this small setting - at the level, it takes at least one good dedicated assistant to be willing to put in the effort to turn the program down the right path, And I would have to commit myself to the goal of not just using the experience as a rung on a ladder – this job must provide some solid consistency to become respectable. You expect kids to come out year after year for four years and give their best – they should expect no less from you.

And I'll say it again:

small.jpg

red dirt.jpg

Just some thoughts ....

Mount Enterprise is the home town of a lot of really good athletes from the 80s and 90s. The problem is most of those athletes took their genes and moved to Henderson, Nacogdoches, and surrounding bigger towns. I do believe the right guy can get this place going again. I remember going to some of those Teneha vs Mt. Enterprise games as a kid in the 90s and that little stadium would be crazy! It would be good to see a true East Texas guy get the job and not some uppity coordinator from a DFW or Houston school.

4 hours ago, UnclePigg said:

Anymore Kevin Pope type ballers in the pipeline? The ME supt and school board would be foolish not to stay in house and give this job to Jeremy Parker; great coach whom the kids play their tails off for. JMO

This was my thought from above...I think he’d do great there. 

Where has he been at before? On their website he is listed as a jr high coach. Which I sure at a school that small they all are jr high coaches as well. But he might not want to be the head guy. Just a thought not knocking the guy by any means just going off limited info. 

21 minutes ago, JV_COACH said:

At small schools you have to schedule properly...they need to let some rivals go dormant for a time...

Who are they currently playing that they can’t compete with? Who is ME real rival? I would guess Timpson but I could be wrong.