Grapeland's Wayne Mahaffey retires

DOB

2 hours ago, Greezychef said:

Isn't he fairly young?  Didn't see this coming.  

Been at since the 1970's  ... this was his 42nd year in the business.

I remember him from the old days at Grapeland in 80-81....  believe it looks like this:

Beckville Asst. 1977-78
Kemp Asst. 1979
Grapeland Asst. 1980-81
Bridge City Asst. 1982-89
Bartlett HC 1990
Kaufman HC 1991-93
Wimberley HC 1994-98
Rusk HC 1999-07
Hamshire-Fannett Asst. 2008-12
Brook Hill Asst. 2013
Grapeland Asst. 2014
Grapeland HC 2015-current

49 minutes ago, Greezychef said:

^the journeyman approach,  I like it.  

Didn't realize he was that "mature", I figured he had a few more years left in him.  Just got Grapeland rolling in the right direction.  

You're "mature" reference is a very kind gesture to those who were starters in the '70's.

Not sure if this played any into the decision, but they really lost a ton - especially on the Offensive side of the ball.

Looking at the past season's All-District Team who will return includes only a 1st Team WR and a 2nd Team OL + another OLer that was Off Newcomer of the Year.

Not sure what they will do as far as replacement for HC will be ... if I'm right and this is the same guy I'm thinking of, Def Coord Craig Earp is about the same age as Wayne - so I'm not sure if he'll be interested (I think he has spent his entire career as an Asst.).  I remember Earp and his son/player Cannon from many years ago at Robinson.  Their family has a very unique story that I won't go into here -only to say that they are a special family.

I believe Cannon has been the basketball head for a while (and successful) so I don't know if he will be interested.  I guess another possibility would be a basketball/AD move since they had it a few years back.  But that concept resulted in less than amicable long-term results.

I have worked previously with the Superintendent in another position, place, and time and I have nothing but good things to say about his leadership style and skills.

Don't know if it's changed, but in the old days Grapeland paid worse for teaching and coaching than another school around the area.

We shall see.

• 2 weeks later...

Interesting names I am hearing. Three assistants, one current AD/HFC and one AD/HFC that just resigned. The one that just resigned is very intriguing because he has seen some good success as a HC. Four of the five names are offensive minded, which is what Grapeland has been the last few years.

Talent is coming up the pipeline as well. Junior high teams have been good, and a lot of kids were on the Crockett Crusaders team that won their league last season. Those kids are going to be studs as long as they keep their heads on straight and don't get drawn off track. Some BIG boys already. This looks like a job that will be good for a little while, just have to share the limelight with basketball.

As for the AD side, girls sports are in a good spot as well...Ride it out for a few years and it could be a springboard into a bigger job. 

3 hours ago, jhigh2442 said:

Interesting.... any chance you'd throw out the schools that these names you are hearing were associated with?

Three are in east Texas in the 4A & 3A ranks. One is north of DFW in a 4A and another is west of DFW in a 3A.

Two are AD/HFC...Two OC's...Another assistant with ETX ties...

• 2 weeks later...

If you run the stack the right way, it is far from garbage or gimmicky.  Some guys try to do too much with it and it loses effectiveness.  I'm a fan of it, but you have to make the right adjustments.  It puts you in Cover 3 and a vertical passing team will wear out the free safety.  Offenses can take you right out of it and force you into something else if they really want to.  End up having to play a lot of 3-2 or 4-2 to go to a two-high look.

• Like 1

Just now, uniballer said:

If you run the stack the right way, it is far from garbage or gimmicky.  Some guys try to do too much with it and it loses effectiveness.  I'm a fan of it, but you have to make the right adjustments.  It puts you in Cover 3 and a vertical passing team will wear out the free safety.  Offenses can take you right out of it and force you into something else if they really want to.  End up having to play a lot of 3-2 or 4-2 to go to a two-high look.

True, but on the other hand, if you put enough quick pressure on the qb, that may pull them out of their passing game. I would be more afraid of an outside option game against a 3-3,or as they used to call it, the 5-3 stack.