How to Deal with a Problem Coach

DieHardCubFan

10 hours ago, ANTI said:

I know it's peeps own choice, but I personally don't understand putting a kid in private school...IN TEXAS anyway. I understand it in other states but not here.

Way less politics on public school side, better coaches, better facilties/resources and academics are underrated because folks think dropout rates are what determines good schools or not, when in reality...what a school offers is more important.

Had a cousin go through a similar deal at a Tyler private a few years back. His folks took him out, stuck em at Whitehouse, now he plays in college.

Put your kid in public school. JMO.

His kid isn’t in private school, he’s home schooled.   Also, you can’t make a blanket statement on politics, coaches, facilities, resources, and acedimcs.   This was the case for your cousin and it has been the case for several others, but it’s not always.   I know a guy who lived in Overton, but went to Grace Community.  Grace went to the playoffs and had more updated facilities than Overton, also had a successful ex-public school coach at the time.  What if you live in Martin’s Mill and you have the chance to go play football at Brook Hill?  BTW Brook Hill, Grace, All Saints, and TKG all have athletic facilities that are all up-to-date and rather impressive.

I think each family has to decide what is right for them according to their circumstances and needs.  I’m a public school guy myself, but I’m not going to knock private schools.  

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, ANTI said:

I know it's peeps own choice, but I personally don't understand putting a kid in private school...IN TEXAS anyway. I understand it in other states but not here.

Way less politics on public school side, better coaches, better facilties/resources and academics are underrated because folks think dropout rates are what determines good schools or not, when in reality...what a school offers is more important.

Had a cousin go through a similar deal at a Tyler private a few years back. His folks took him out, stuck em at Whitehouse, now he plays in college.

Happens in public schools also.
Watched a game last week where a girl that leads her team in scoring, rebounds, and blocks only played 4 minutes in an Area playoff game. When she was on the bench, the opponent shot 65% FG, and her team shot 15%. When she was in the game, the opponent shot 35% and her team shot 70%. Her team lost the game 66-35.
No explanation as to why she was on the bench. She is an A/B student and ended the game with only 2 fouls. Made zero sense to me.

9 minutes ago, TbPanther said:

Happens in public schools also.

You and others need to read/comprehend what I said.

I said there are "way less politics on the public school side", which is true.

I see no where in my post where I said there was zero politics in public schools. Obviously you'll have your few exceptions but it isn't the norm like it is in privates across the nation. It's really bad in South Carolina.

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

You and others need to read/comprehend what I said.

I said there are "way less politics on the public school side", which is true.

I see no where in my post where I said there was zero politics in public schools. Obviously you'll have your few exceptions but it isn't the norm like it is in privates across the nation. It's really bad in South Carolina.

But it may not be less.   It depends on the situation.  A few years back CH played WLV in the second round and WLV had a running back get out of jail on Wednesday and play on Friday night for the first time all season.  In most private (and public) schools this wouldn’t have been allowed.   Politics are anywhere you have competition and parents, doesn’t matter public or private.  Based on your following statemwnts about facilities and coaches, etc.  it’s obvious you are a public school guy, which is fine.  It’s just not correct to make a blanket statement that it’s better than private school.  It was in your experience, but everyone’s experience is different.

14 hours ago, ANTI said:

Anti,

First of all, it is not my kid, exactly.  However, my nephew is the team's leading scorer and team captain.  I attend everyone of his (and his younger brothers' games) and have for the past four years he has been playing varsity (he's 6'06" and growing...).  I have been keeping stats for the past few months. (More on this in a moment.) 

My friend Stanky is correct, this is a home school team which has some very talented, not to mention some extremely intelligent players on it.  Their team is controlled (for a lack of a better term), by one man who is the default (and self-proclaimed) athletic director.  He and the coaches have all but refused to talk to the parents of the players.  When parents have tried to talk to the coach and sitting down with the parents, he simply walks away and refuses to talk.  The other day one of the senior players received a technical foul (not the kid's first and the coach himself has received plenty of his own this season) for arguing a call that was indeed rather questionable.  He pulled this senior and verbally berated him while the entire gym watched and listened to the coach's tirade.  After the game, the young man apologized to the coach for his behavior, while the coach did nothing to either accept it or rebuke it.  At Senior Night, a couple of nights later, he refused not only to start this senior, he completely refused to play him. 

I have spent quite a bit of time around coaches, in numerous sports - from junior high and high school, to college - from football to basketball to baseball and softball.  I have never seen a coach (who is supposed to be a role model to these young men) act the way he did and has by treating this young man and otehrs on the team.  From starting underclassmen, who are clearly subpar players, over more seasoned upperclassmen who, to be quite honest (and again, I have no direct dog in this hunt),  much better players - both offensively and defensively. One senior (here is my reference to stats) who had started the previous year, has as many points off of the bench and three-times the rebounds as two of the underclassman starters (who are related to the coaches and his assistants.

Now, while I will acknowledge politics are ever present and have been (even back when I played high school sports in the late 1970's),  this is beyond politics.  This is clearly nepotism on the part of this "coach."

Lastly, a meeting has been scheduled, but the AD says that only the "fathers" are invited.  It is going to be interesting to see who actually is allowed in the meeting and the drama that will occur when it happens...

2 hours ago, Stankylegg said:

But it may not be less.  

Hey, believe what you want man. 

But I know what I'm talking about as I'm pretty familiar with both sides. It's really not even a secret either and you'd think most people would know this, but guess not.

4 hours ago, ANTI said:

Hey, believe what you want man. 

But I know what I'm talking about as I'm pretty familiar with both sides. It's really not even a secret either and you'd think most people would know this, but guess not.

It’s not about believing what I want.  You can’t say in blanket that there are less politics, because that’s not always the case.   Im sure it was with your cousin, but not necessarily every time. 

I remember a few years back when Mcfarlin’s contract wasn’t renewed at whitehouse because certain school board member’s kids didn’t play enough.   My point is that every case is different and you just can say that public is better than private without knowing the situation of the schools involved and the family.

17 hours ago, Stankylegg said:

It’s not about believing what I want.  You can’t say in blanket that there are less politics, because that’s not always the case.   Im sure it was with your cousin, but not necessarily every time. 

I remember a few years back when Mcfarlin’s contract wasn’t renewed at whitehouse because certain school board member’s kids didn’t play enough.   My point is that every case is different and you just can say that public is better than private without knowing the situation of the schools involved and the family.

elowell...come on man

6 hours ago, KingLeo said:

I don't think putting it on Smoaky is a good thing. Coach sees this and could make it worse. It definitely will not make it better.

Leo, I just wished the "coach" was on Smoaky and saw it.  Trust me, what he and his assistant dads/coaches do can't be any worse than what they currently do!

On 1/26/2019 at 7:40 PM, DieHardCubFan said:

I want to pose a question for some input and expert opinions on a situation that I have been witnessing taking place for the past few months and wanted to see what you all would do about it. 

There is an athletic program (not at a public school, but nonetheless a "school") where the "coach" of the basketball team gets a stipend from the parents whose sons play for the team.  This team has some very talented upperclassmen playing who are not only very good players, but rather tall (6'05", 6'04", 6'02", etc.).  For the past three months, the coach and his "volunteer assistant coaches/dads" have been starting (and playing, for most of the game) their own sons, who are not only freshmen and sophomores, but are not even very good.  All these coaches' sons do are try to shoot long-range 3-pointers, yet half of the time, they can't even hit the basket, much less the backboard.  Since these coaches have been playing their sons, they have not won a game (something like 10 losses in a row) and even lost to a local private school by close to 50 points.

In other words, other than being the head coach's son and his assistants' sons...they'd be on the bench or better yet, playing on the JV team. 

How would the great membership here on Smoaky.com handle this situation?

I would get on his coaching staff:).

About as bad a situation as I’ve ever heard, but there’s bs that goes on at most schools (Jmo from being around).  From School Boards Members wanting their kids to play, to influential parents.  My G’sons Coach this year had to tell the players to have their parents quit emailing him complaining - good grief.  Best advise I can give all of you, get your Dentist to make you a mouthguard and wear it to the games.  That way, when all the bad stuff happens, General bs, incompetent Coach, incompetent Refs, or some idiot sitting next to you complaining that his 5’4” son, who runs a 9.9 40 and has a 6” vertical leap, isn’t playing, you won’t grind your teeth down to the gums.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hagar said:

About as bad a situation as I’ve ever heard, but there’s bs that goes on at most schools (Jmo from being around).  From School Boards Members wanting their kids to play, to influential parents.  My G’sons Coach this year had to tell the players to have their parents quit emailing him complaining - good grief.  Best advise I can give all of you, get your Dentist to make you a mouthguard and wear it to the games.  That way, when all the bad stuff happens, General bs, incompetent Coach, incompetent Refs, or some idiot sitting next to you complaining that his 5’4” son, who runs a 9.9 40 and has a 6” vertical leap, isn’t playing, you won’t grind your teeth down to the gums.

Trust me in that part of Hardin County ppl think their lil johnny is Curry on the court and Mahomes on the field. 😂

• LOL! 1