Per Matt Stepp, Bobby Reyes has resigned in Nacogdoches...

Smoaky

7 hours ago, lion70 said:

If they get a good coach Nac could be a contender. Seem always to have some talent but never coaching. Seems like a decent gig.

We have had good coaches Scott ford has won since he’s left, and he was winning before and Harper has won more games in Marshall than any other coach. 

11 minutes ago, nacdragon07 said:

We have had good coaches Scott ford has won since he’s left, and he was winning before and Harper has won more games in Marshall than any other coach. 

Consistently not really. A couple of playoff appearances one which was you know . Nac seems to have some players but never could put it together. 

• Stinks 1

I’m not going to trash Nac.  

But there seems to be a systemic problem there. 

They’ve had big hires.  And they always seem to have the same results. 

IMHO.... the problem isn’t coaching or lack of talent.

Nac just isn’t a football community. They don’t support the program.....  they don’t attend games at home. And I’ve been to two of their playoff games (Texas high and Vs Marshall) and their crowd was embarrassingly small for both. 

District seems tight fisted with money for the program  

Sounds like a tough situation.  But if given the right person, enough patience, and some grassroots effort.... why not?

But history is definitely against them. 

Wish them the best.  Except that one week.... 😂

32 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I’m not going to trash Nac.  

But there seems to be a systemic problem there. 

They’ve had big hires.  And they always seem to have the same results. 

IMHO.... the problem isn’t coaching or lack of talent.

Nac just isn’t a football community. They don’t support the program.....  they don’t attend games at home. And I’ve been to two of their playoff games (Texas high and Vs Marshall) and their crowd was embarrassingly small for both. 

District seems tight fisted with money for the program  

Sounds like a tough situation.  But if given the right person, enough patience, and some grassroots effort.... why not?

But history is definitely against them. 

Wish them the best.  Except that one week.... 😂

You hit the nail on the head. 

7 hours ago, birddog7987 said:

I think it’s safe to say politics are in playbto some degree everywhere - the band being a priority over football is a different story 

Politics are everywhere, a coach will have to win here first to get community buy in. The lack of crowd for the playoffs had more to do with who we had to play the first round. We drew a NFL QB with Scott Surratt as the OC-Texas High Team. This past year we drew a stacked Huntsville team that was a trick play away from the state championship game. We haven’t exactly been favored in any of our PLayoff trips.

The Band culture here is a little shaky due to loss of long time band director this past year. Money has been spent on the football program the last 2-3 years. We have a good foundation. We have 7 Off and 7 def starters coming back and 20 players from last year’s playoff team are sophomores. Freshman team was OK and the 8th grade teams are loaded. Whichever route they take with this job has some talent to work with. 

25 minutes ago, Nacwagons said:

Politics are everywhere, a coach will have to win here first to get community buy in. The lack of crowd for the playoffs had more to do with who we had to play the first round. We drew a NFL QB with Scott Surratt as the OC-Texas High Team. This past year we drew a stacked Huntsville team that was a trick play away from the state championship game. We haven’t exactly been favored in any of our PLayoff trips.

The Band culture here is a little shaky due to loss of long time band director this past year. Money has been spent on the football program the last 2-3 years. We have a good foundation. We have 7 Off and 7 def starters coming back and 20 players from last year’s playoff team are sophomores. Freshman team was OK and the 8th grade teams are loaded. Whichever route they take with this job has some talent to work with. 

Well to be honest the first time we made the playoffs since 92 we had a awesome turnout during our reg season run. The town was legitimately behind us it didn’t matter who we played in the playoffs that year. We had a decent turnout in forney.  It’s the past two times when we played Marshall and Huntsville that the crowd was horrible.

1 hour ago, Nacwagons said:

Yeah  the Texas High abd Huntsville draws were tough....but still.  SHOW UP! 

IIRC......in 2014......Nac was actually favored to beat Marshall in that playoff game.  In fact....  a poster or two on this thread trolled how bad we were going to get beat (opps!!). 

Nac still had less than 200 there.  I remember being shocked at the lack of support.  It was a chance for their first playoff win in 20+ seasons.  But no.  Empty stands.  

The community simply doesn’t support the team. Even when they are favored.....in playoff games. 

That’s a systemic problem.   And that’s an uphill battle at Nac.   But I DO believe it can change.  But they need a coach willing to stay, administration willing to be patient, and a community willing to get off their rear ends and show up. 

Hope it happens. Because the current incarnation of this district is likely to stay the same for a long time. Don’t see anyone moving up to 5AD2 or dropping down from 5AD1.  

Make hay while you can. 

2 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Yeah  the Texas High abd Huntsville draws were tough....but still.  SHOW UP! 

IIRC......in 2014......Nac was actually favored to beat Marshall in that playoff game.  In fact....  a poster or two on this thread trolled how bad we were going to get beat (opps!!). 

Nac still had less than 200 there.  I remember being shocked at the lack of support.  It was a chance for their first playoff win in 20+ seasons.  But no.  Empty stands.  

The community simply doesn’t support the team. Even when they are favored.....in playoff games. 

That’s a systemic problem.   And that’s an uphill battle at Nac.   But I DO believe it can change.  But they need a coach willing to stay, administration willing to be patient, and a community willing to get off their rear ends and show up. 

Hope it happens. Because the current incarnation of this district is likely to stay the same for a long time. Don’t see anyone moving up to 5AD2 or dropping down from 5AD1.  

Make hay while you can. 

I will tell you the topic of atmosphere and crowd participation are a conversation happening for all sports, not just football. 

Even the men’s basketball team isnt drawing well unless it’s LP or in a few weeks marshall. They are just now taking steps to add to the game day atmosphere. 

SFA games draw well, the social aspect of going to an sfa game vs a Nac game has a little to do with it as well. 

4 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

We have 7 Off and 7 def starters coming back and 20 players from last year’s playoff team are sophomores.

If I'm not mistaken, isn't that sophomore group supposed to be pretty tough?

I’ve coached at schools in Houston and in DFW that had very little fan support. It didn’t matter because we won games. I can see taking pride in your community but fan support has nothing to do with wins. Especially in multi school districts. That’s my opinion only.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

5 hours ago, mav01 said:

Get a good coaching staff and by the time that group gets to be sr's, you may can challenge for a district title. Assuming Nac stays D2. 

The 8th grade coming up this next year will add to this group of sophomores when they are seniors. Have a lot of talent coming. 

3 hours ago, randomuser said:

I’ve coached at schools in Houston and in DFW that had very little fan support. It didn’t matter because we won games. I can see taking pride in your community but fan support has nothing to do with wins. Especially in multi school districts. That’s my opinion only.

We don’t have multi school districts in Nac. I don’t think anyone said that 5he support means winning, just saying that winning would increase that support. It will take 8-2 type seasons and not 6-4 type seasons. Multiple years of winning is what it’s going to take.

11 hours ago, Nacwagons said:

We don’t have multi school districts in Nac. I don’t think anyone said that 5he support means winning, just saying that winning would increase that support. It will take 8-2 type seasons and not 6-4 type seasons. Multiple years of winning is what it’s going to take.

Oh but you do have a Multi-School District, just not in name. When you lose as many kids that physically live in NAC to Central Heights and other surrounding small schools, then you in essence have a multi-school district. There is really very little civic pride in NAC where the High School is concerned. All of the Civic Pride is aimed at the College.

Winning will help, that is for sure, but I'm not a 100% sure that even winning will solve the apathy problem in NAC.

I do know that the best candidate is down the road in Marshall just waiting to hear his name called to come in and get the Culture Change started. 

15 hours ago, randomuser said:

This guy gets it, as do most coaches... Games are won and lost in the film room, the weight room and on the field.... I've never won or lost a game based on how many fans each side had...

• Like 1
  • Stinks 1

18 hours ago, randomuser said:

I disagree.....

If the community doesn't give a rip about the program....more often than not.... the kids won't either.  Which by and large means they won't come out to play.... 

I've seen some exceptions.  I've seen winning programs with PITIFUL community support.  We played Dallas South Oak Cliff in the second round of the playoffs 10 MILES from their home stadium.... and I doubt there was 100 people there. 

But if the student body,  parents, and community as a whole makes no effort to support the team.... my guess is that the effort by the team is probably going to be lackluster too.

See Nac.... See PT.... See Mt. Pleasant.  All have shaky support.  All have struggled to win...some of them for a long, long, LONG time.

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I disagree.....

If the community doesn't give a rip about the program....more often than not.... the kids won't either.  Which by and large means they won't come out to play.... 

I've seen some exceptions.  I've seen winning programs with PITIFUL community support.  We played Dallas South Oak Cliff in the second round of the playoffs 10 MILES from their home stadium.... and I doubt there was 100 people there. 

But if the student body,  parents, and community as a whole makes no effort to support the team.... my guess is that the effort by the team is probably going to be lackluster too.

See Nac.... See PT.... See Mt. Pleasant.  All have shaky support.  All have struggled to win...some of them for a long, long, LONG time.

Lack of Community support is usually a symptom of a much larger issue. 

3 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

Lack of Community support is usually a symptom of a much larger issue. 

Agree.  And it's different for different schools.  And it's usually a multifaceted problem.  But there is usually one GLARING problem.

IMHO......

Nac is in the shadow of SFA.... that probably hurts them more than anything.

PT is in the shadow of another team within their own city.

MP failed their changing demographics dating back to the late 90's and early 2000's.