UPDATE: Spring Hill hires Jonny Louvier

dillonpanthers

Spring Hill's Mercer resigns after four seasons with the Panthers

Spring Hill head football coach and athletic director Kelly Mercer informed his players today the 2018 season was his final one with the Panthers.

Mercer resigned from the post, and interim superintendent Rod Townsend said a search for a replacement will begin immediately.

"The rumors were that I'd been let go, or that I'd been fired. None of that's true," said Mercer. "I'm doing this on my own accord. There are some other opportunities that have presented themselves that I think are best for my family."

Mercer, who was hired to replace Mark Sartain in April of 2015, assumed the position after working several years as the offensive coordinator at Class 6A Plano West.

Mercer came to town with an impressive resume built on his offensive prowess. The Plano West offense, under his tutelage, averaged better than 45 points and 430 yards per game in 2014.

Spring Hill was looking for stability within its athletic program, having gone through three head football coaches over a five-year stretch. Mercer was able to stabilize and infuse new-found enthusiasm with his proclamation to “Build The Hill”, thus making that a community-wide battle cry.

"I think we have definitely increased the validity of our program," Mercer said. "Somebody said to me the other day Spring Hill used to be everybody's homecoming because they wanted to start out with a win. But, they said nobody really thinks that way anymore. The outside perception has changed, and the inside perception has changed because they believe in themselves more. I believe they think they can play with just about anyone."

Mercer, who finished with a four-year record of 11-29, was never able to get the Panthers in the playoffs. His best chance came in 2017 when Spring Hill, which opened the season with five straight victories, went into the regular-season finale at Atlanta with a chance to snap a decade-long playoff drought.

The Panthers came up short that evening, 56-49, and finished the year on a five-game losing streak. Spring Hill failed to win a district game its last three seasons and finished 1-18 in district over Mercer’s four seasons. His lone district win, a 30-27 decision over Tatum in 2015, avoided a winless season for the Panthers and gave Mercer his first victory as a head coach.

During Mercer’s tenure the Panthers had the difficult task of competing in a district loaded with gridiron heavyweights like Pittsburg, Gladewater, Gilmer and reining two-time state finalist and 2017 state champion Pleasant Grove.

The Panthers were 2-8 overall and 0-4 in district play this past season. Spring Hill lost its first two games of the season, defeated arch-rival White Oak and Rusk, and then ended the year with six straight losses.

"We're going to post this position immediately and try to move just as quickly as we can," Townsend said. "We're not going to go too fast. We want to make sure we get the best person and the right person for the position. Coach Mercer is an outstanding individual and very conscientious. I never saw him do anything but the right thing, and he always put kids first."

• Like 1

I hope they try to go local. As a former Buckeye, I’ve seen 1st hand the success East Texas guys have had here in East Texas.  Surrett, Taylor, Frazier, Russell, Lane. All East Texas boys. I hope for SH sake they don’t go with DFW coaches. East Texas kids are a lot different than DFW kids. Takes one to know one. Just my 2 cents. 

• Like 3

21 hours ago, Acewell said:

I have been in Spring Hill for 15 years and attended all football games etc.  Coach Mercer is a very good leader, mentor, and coach.  I don't think anyone out there could have done more than he did.  

I couldn't agree more.   He did a phenomenal job given what he came in to 4 years ago.   He flipped the attitude, expectations and culture of a community (that had been very deflated) in the 4 years he was here.  The "Build the Hill" attitude he rallied around worked well.   I'm not sure everyone remembers just how bad it was before he arrived. 

Wins and losses do not measure the amount of success he achieved with our programs.   I wish him well and believe it's a sad day for SH that he "chose" to leave.   Too bad our administrative leadership wasn't able to work out a better situation to keep him here if that were a possibility.

• Like 4

38 minutes ago, Dawgman said:

I just spoke with The Kerry Strong (actually got his autograph too!) but he said unless the booster club is willing to put the same size video board in the gym, he will have to decline the lucrative offer. 

Yea, I too have talked to The Legend Kerry Strong. Every time we shake hands, I refuse to wash that hand for days, lol. 

Seems there could be some competition for his services. Ore City, it seems, wants him really bad. In addition to a very lucrative HC/AD salary & benefit package...They've also offered him very enticing perks to include: free Sonic meals during the duration of his contract, free beard oil/balm for life, 13-inch black&white TV and VCR for his coaches office, AND a free boat-landing pass down at Lake O' da Pines. :mower:

• LOL! 2

16 hours ago, TTman7 said:

Yea, I too have talked to The Legend Kerry Strong. Every time we shake hands, I refuse to wash that hand for days, lol. 

Seems there could be some competition for his services. Ore City, it seems, wants him really bad. In addition to a very lucrative HC/AD salary & benefit package...They've also offered him very enticing perks to include: free Sonic meals during the duration of his contract, free beard oil/balm for life, 13-inch black&white TV and VCR for his coaches office, AND a free boat-landing pass down at Lake O' da Pines. :mower:

dang men.  much as i dont wont to loose him he need o gone on and take that deel.  look like oar sty is relly going after him.  dang men

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Spring Hill hires Jonny Louvier