UPDATE: Spring Hill hires Jonny Louvier

dillonpanthers

11 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

so things were tons worse before this 4 year period...11-29? I don't know -- seems Spring Hill was tougher, more consistent...in that they could at least compete for a .500 record 

You look at the last 2 seasons and SH has probably 6 or 7 games where the lose by 6 or less to some pretty dang good traditional football programs. You are talking about two years in a row where they lose to Gilmer by less than 3 points. A one point loss to Gladewater, over-time losses and a bunch of close games. Under Mercer, SH went into every game thinking they had a chance to win. He changed the culture and mindset and expectations in SH. Don't be a hater.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, sackem said:

I hear tell he is holding out for free meals at the Original David Beard's Catfish Kings.

I guess you haven't heard...the original David Beard's Catfish Village in Ore City closed down a couple of months ago. I'm still in mourning. 😥

• Sad 1

1 hour ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

so things were tons worse before this 4 year period...11-29? I don't know -- seems Spring Hill was tougher, more consistent...in that they could at least compete for a .500 record 

SH went from no chance to very good chance of winning every game the past few years with the exception of the GW game this year. 

Mercer is very involved with sub-varsity/ jr high, and all of those teams have made Drastic improvements also.  

Some people don't remember how Bad it was before him and can't see past records.  

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Yes, there was a time when the likes of White Oak, Sabine, Mineola, Gladewater, Tatum and smaller schools or similiar sized ones were our district opponents.  And yes, we did consistently compete and win at that level.   

Then our small growth and the UIL's classification cuts (2008ish to 2014ish) threw us into a district with the likes of Carthage, Kilgore, Henderson, Gilmer and Chapel Hill for a few years. In that time,  we absolutely couldn't compete at any level JH, JV or Varsity and the program went south in a hurry.    Coaches left every 1 or 2 years because there was such a bad attitude, lack of interest or support and some kids were moving away to play football elsewhere.

Mercer came in and has slowly erased all that negativity.  We had kids moving in now to play for him instead of out because we didn't stand a fighting chance.  He has us competing and the kids have a chance to win most weeks as opposed to "let's see if we can keep this loss under 30 points this week." 

• Like 3

All Spring Hill needs to drop down is for a private high school with an attractive football program to be located near them. Then a lot more of the relatively wealthy families in those neighborhoods would be happy to send their children to the new private school and ratchet down the SHISD enrollment in a hurry.

26 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Does Spring Hill accept transfer students?

Do not. As AKA stated above, it's been brought up, but rejected every time. I think accepting transfers would be a good thing because we are not losing enrollment anyway. Boys basketball will be district champs. Boys track are currently back to back district champs. Baseball will be really good this year. Tennis is good as well. Football just isn't there yet, and not sure if it ever will be. Girls program is almost non existent now, but that [gripe] is for another day! We will see what happens...

• Like 1

You are what you are size wise....#### it up and get better!spring hill is good in other sports... will never probably ever be a football school! 

The kids there who are real good football players are most likely going across town. Already know of some. Just how it is in towns like Longview.

5 hours ago, SHillBuckeye said:

Do not. As AKA stated above, it's been brought up, but rejected every time. I think accepting transfers would be a good thing because we are not losing enrollment anyway. Boys basketball will be district champs. Boys track are currently back to back district champs. Baseball will be really good this year. Tennis is good as well. Football just isn't there yet, and not sure if it ever will be. Girls program is almost non existent now, but that [gripe] is for another day! We will see what happens...

you never know. I never thought I would see pg have the success they're having. I figured we'd be a spring sport school but that has changed. pg has opened the gates on enrollment and with them being the hot school in town i only expect that success to keep going. 

• Like 1

I don’t buy that SH can’t win in football. Mercer came in and chanced the climate. Whoever gets the job is getting a good nucleus. I think all 5 offensive linemen return. White will be a 4 year starter at QB. 3 of the top 4 receivers are back. This years sophomores went 8-2 as freshmen. The incoming freshmen were undefeated. The tools are there.  I think people will be surprised at some of the names applying for the job. I talked to a former coach whose son plays there and heard that he said he has been either called are texted by several folks about the job. I should be pretty interesting the next couple of weeks.  

• Like 1

On 1/31/2019 at 4:40 PM, lion70 said:

Kinda wish Spring Hill would go like Gladewater & Atlanta and play 3a ball. They wouldn't be Champs or anything but definitely have respectability.

I would like to stay in 4a.

We can compete in division 2

On 2/1/2019 at 6:40 PM, TheFootballFan said:

Please,... the only reason you were 5-5 was a transfer from John Tyler.... tell me why you really think ???

That's WRONG.

Stoker did help keep the district games very close.

The 5 SH won in 2017 were blow outs that MR. Stoker was not needed in.

• Confused 1

• Mr. P changed the title to UPDATE: Spring Hill hires Jonny Louvier