7on7 Soft Shell Helmet Requirement

MattStepp

Expect an announcement this week from the State 7on7 board regarding making 5-star rated soft shell helmets a requirement for SQT play starting in 2020....the helmets will be strongly suggested for SQT play in 2019 and will be required for the 2019 State Tournament

• Like 1

5 hours ago, randomuser said:

Another way to take money!! I wonder what the UIL’s kickback off these helmets are, because you know they’re gonna make money.

7on7 is not a UIL thing. I get it you don’t like them, but this seems like a safety issue. Heaven for bid we protect kids. What started off as a non contact game has slowly changed to more contact from overagressive players. I think this is a good thing.

1 hour ago, bluesky said:

Do away with 7 on 7 all together.  Worse thing to ever happen to HS football.

You must not be a fan of throwing the ball. You kinda have to in order to gain high level of success in todays football.

This had to happen....a kid almost died last year...no insurance company was going to insure any tournaments without this requirement...yes it will cost more, BUT this equipment is a UIL exception and the schools not the kids can purchase these soft shells and they can be used in off-season etc.

As for 7-on-7 being the worst thing to happen to HS Football, I 1000% disagree...playing 7-on-7 with your teammates in the summer is very helpful...

1 hour ago, lion70 said:

When you don't have  lineman you don't have football!

There are linemen challenges throughout the off season.  No one complains about that. 

7 on 7 allows QBs a d WRs to get reps and work on timing during the summer. 

Seems to me that’s a better choice than playing Fortnight all summer. 

10 hours ago, lion70 said:

When you don't have  lineman you don't have football!

Oh Lion, your comprehension skills fail you again. I never said it was football, I said it was the best thing to happen to HS football.

As in, the opportunity for QB's and WR's to work on the passing game in a structured environment, with competition attached to it,  has greatly improved the quality of High School passing games; therefore, benefiting the High School game as a whole.

3 minutes ago, lion70 said:

I agree with you . I remember some on here bragging about championships won like it was the same as a State championship in December.

It is obviously nothing even close to winning a State Championship in December.

However, what it does is improves the quality of the product on the field for every team that plays in a league and plays in SQT's.

Just ask Pleasant Grove. I'm pretty sure they would not be near as good throwing the ball or defending the pass if it weren't for 7 on 7. 

And like MavChamp said, its a whole lot better than the kids sitting on their butt's playing Fortnite all the time.

21 minutes ago, lion70 said:

I agree with you . I remember some on here bragging about championships won like it was the same as a State championship in December.

I dont have a problem w/anyone bragging about winning a state 7-on-7 title...why shouldn't a group of kids or fans be proud of success?? No it's not as important as winning a title in December but teams that do well in 7-on-7 often have that success translate to Friday night....College Station, Midlothian Heritage and Gunter were all pretty good when the pads came on last year

Just now, lion70 said:

Just saying it's not truly a game that's matters. I wouldn't be excited if Hendo won 7 on 7 because its not the same. Not saying not important through but hardly establishing a parade either.

It's all perspective.....Henderson doesn't participate so your view is common with those fans/coaches whose teams don't play much...to this crowd for some reason, anyone who is happy or proud of any success another school has in 7-on-7 is all of a sudden "making too big a deal of it" 

The reality is those that play and participate typically keep it in perspective and and are just happy with the success...the very, very small crowd that does blow things out of proportion is probably the same crowd that keeps scores at scrimmages and thinks those results mean something...so take it with a grain of salt....and there's nothing wrong with being competitive and wanting to win at everything..checkers, football, hoops, 7-on-7...etc...there's zero guarantee of success on Friday night even if you are the best 7-on-7 team the world has ever seen...however there is a very distinct correlation to success in 7-on-7 State Tournament and success on Friday night....

• Like 2

7 on 7, to me, is a stupid game of tag.

Too many times ,in too many sports, kids are expected to play during the summer.

You wanna know why kids are burnt out and quit sports.

Its the schools fault for pushing kids to perform during the summer instead of having time to be a kid.

Good grief...... weights, 7 on 7, summer baseball, summer basketball, summer track, summer volleyball, travel this and select that.......DANG

Let the kids have time to rest up. Go fishing, have a vacation, a little break in the action. All work and no play makes Jack(Jill) a dull boy(girl).

Summer time for high school kids should be just that, summer time , not school time.

Just my opinion 

• Thanks 1
  • Stinks 1

19 minutes ago, CaliforniaCornDodger said:

7 on 7, to me, is a stupid game of tag.

Too many times ,in too many sports, kids are expected to play during the summer.

You wanna know why kids are burnt out and quit sports.

Its the schools fault for pushing kids to perform during the summer instead of having time to be a kid.

Good grief...... weights, 7 on 7, summer baseball, summer basketball, summer track, summer volleyball, travel this and select that.......DANG

Let the kids have time to rest up. Go fishing, have a vacation, a little break in the action. All work and no play makes Jack(Jill) a dull boy(girl).

Summer time for high school kids should be just that, summer time , not school time.

Just my opinion 

You are most definitely entitled to your opinion.

But, my childhood consisted of playing baseball every day during the summer, regardless of whether it was organized or not, going to Boys Club and playing basketball pick up games for as long as my legs would allow me too. And if there had been such a thing as 7 on 7, then we would have been doing that also.

These are GAMES, they are fun. Playing a game all summer is not punishment. And lifting weights is just common sense, you have to be strong to compete or you get beat.

My summers consisted of balancing summer basketball and summer baseball in the evenings; going and lifting and running in the mornings and the nights I didnt have a game I had a summer job...some of the most fun times of my life....

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, MattStepp said:

My summers consisted of balancing summer basketball and summer baseball in the evenings; going and lifting and running in the mornings and the nights I didnt have a game I had a summer job...some of the most fun times of my life....

Amen Brotha, that was what being a kid to me was.

Could have cared less about some meaningless trip somewhere, our vacation was a trip to wherever the All-Stars were playing that weekend.

23 hours ago, MattStepp said:

I thought that's what everybody did ... and bale hay on the weekends.

Burnout never occurs when it's what kids really want and love to do.

Burnout is when someone in charge forgets to ASK the kids what they want to do - and instead tells them what they want do.

It's the constantly forced choreography that burns kids out ... not the unabridged play time.

We weren't being groomed for a scholarship at age 8 or 9 like they are now.  OUR game was bigger than that ... it was a love for the game itself and the often informal competition where we learned skills through discovery instead of through intensively progressive operational drill time.  Life is NOT a drill.

My "parental coaches" had one rule and only one rule - be home by the time the street lights come on.  And I thank God all the time for who they were.

• Thanks 1

Back when I was growing up, even before age 10, I was allowed to be a "free range" human here in this little East Texas town. Basically, I could go anywhere I could walk or ride a bike as long as I was home in time for dinner.

The fact that there are such things as "play dates" now makes me glad I grew up in the unstructured era in which I did.

Of course, I won't be alive all that much longer compared to the youth of today, but I really don't envy the period of history they will have to live through either.