๐Ÿˆ Alliance of American Football

2 hours ago, topher805 said:

The NFL seems to be taking notes from the AAF...Matter of time before they become a minor league and players will have an option to go there instead of college...

53 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

AAF majority owner could fold league without support from NFLPA. https://t.co/3DrbHUj1vp https://t.co/MY8WxloHKC

The @TheAAF's chairman says league could fold if the @NFLPA won't let it use @NFL playersย 

https://t.co/dkWZxIgsnP https://t.co/4YZSzwkMF4

If the NFL was smart they'd buy the AAF lock, stock, and barrel to use as a stateside development league. It's low overhead with the salary structure and smaller base of operations. You can also use it to leverage better tv deals.ย 

Frankly, I don't know why the NFL isn't already doing this. I guess they're still sore from the NFL Europe experiment. But this is a better business model.ย 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, AKA said:

If the NFL was smart they'd buy the AAF lock, stock, and barrel to use as a stateside development league. It's low overhead with the salary structure and smaller base of operations. You can also use it to leverage better tv deals.ย 

Frankly, I don't know why the NFL isn't already doing this. I guess they're still sore from the NFL Europe experiment. But this is a better business model.ย 

I think they are waiting to see how this really pans out. It jumped out strong, but they want to see how it fares through the season and into next year. They already moved their championship from Vegas to the Star in Dallas.ย 

• Like 1

Pro Football Talk-ย All @TheAAF football operations will be suspended in the next few hours, per source with knowledge of situation. League is not folding, yet. But it's heading that way.

Albert Brewer-ย 

Perception inside the AAF is that Hurricanes owner Tom Dundon bought a majority stake in the league simply for the gambling app being developed.

ย 

Source: "Dundon got the technology he wanted and he's now minus one rather large headache."

I hate to see it go. ย I really enjoyed watching the highlights. ย The thing is, they were in small market cities. ย At least with the XFL they are in larger markets. ย The only one I would say is a small market is L.A. only because they don't care about football. ย While the Rams did rank 10th in the NFL last year the Chargers ranked 32, and they were a solid team last year. ย True they are in a cracker box stadium, but L.A. is more of a college football, NBA, and MLB city. ย Birmingham is really a small city. ย Many have moved to Homewood, Vestavia Hills, Hoover, Bessemer, and Center Point. ย It is a football state, but even going to see Barons or UAB games was cheap and easy ticket. ย At least the XFL will have somewhat of a talent pool to draw on. ย 

^ Vinceโ€™s money should give the XFL a chance for a season or two. The public has shown they will tune in to a league with a bad TV contract. Handle those two situations and you should have a decent foundation. If you can get that NFL tie in your golden. If not, would anybody be shocked to see the NFL come out with a minor league themselves?

Seeing stuff on Twitter about players having to pay their own way on flights home. One reporter has even apologized that he was lied to by a high up source over the financial stability of the league.ย 

I think it was Spurrier said one of the main purposes of this league was to get players shots at the NFL. I also liked the idea of the AAF-XFL title game.ย 

Y'all are rightย about the franchise placements, but I bet money was a big part of that. A - Major markets with NFLย teams didn't want the competition, I'm sure, even in the offseason, for whatever reason. I also bet there were... tax abatement-type deals. B - Interesting about markets like Birmingham. Huge hs football turf. Curious AAF wasn't doing better there.ย 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

I think it was Spurrier said one of the main purposes of this league was to get players shots at the NFL. I also liked the idea of the AAF-XFL title game.ย 

Y'all are rightย about the franchise placements, but I bet money was a big part of that. A - Major markets with NFLย teams didn't want the competition, I'm sure, even in the offseason, for whatever reason. I also bet there were... tax abatement-type deals. B - Interesting about markets like Birmingham. Huge hs football turf. Curious AAF wasn't doing better there.ย 

I have a friend from there that was a huge fan, and attended every home game. ย The problem is the stadiums location. ย Just like Rickwood Field it's not in one of the best neighborhoods. ย It's similar to the Fair Park area in Dallas. ย They haven't played an Iron Bowl there in 21 years, and there's a reason for it. ย Another thing that hurt them there is Auburn making a run for the National Championship in basketball. ย While that only affects about 39% of the fans in Alabama, it may have been why some of the Auburn fans didn't make some of the home games. ย Another big reason is lack of television coverage. ย Had it been on National TV it might have made it, being on a third tier cable network didn't help. ย 

• Like 3

15 hours ago, 88YoePride said:

I had a sneaking suspicion when they let a franchise owner personally invest the money to keep the thing going. Something just felt sketchy...

https://www.cbssports.com/aaf/news/aaf-2019-what-went-wrong-and-what-happens-next-following-leagues-sudden-shutdown/amp/

So yep, I just read the article you linked...and I too had enjoyed the AAF to an extent.

How the heck could they make ANY AGREEMENT with ANY businessman...and I would say this towards any of us for any deal we are going into in life, but the AAF gave this joker the say-so 100% that the league had to be based on "what he had in mind for the league"...therefore he has decided to now within 2 months shut the doors.

How could they not have talked about what HE HAD IN MIND FOR THE LEAGUE prior to agreeing to take him on as a majority owner...shouldn't call him that though...they need to call him #MASTER

Worst parts: PROMISED 3 to 4 YEARS OF WORK

(1) employees (asst coaches - these people quit other places & were hoping to use this to parlay NFL jobs)

(2) higher administrative people w/ each team - they would be legit business folks...last paycheck end of this week and insurance stops end of April.

ย 

Again coming from the sports world and between college coaching gigs...I nearly took a job working with the Rangers...obviously different situation, but could you imagine a family depending on that. Freakin' blows my mind!!!

ย 

• Like 1

When Dundon (AAF owner) says that a new financial source may become available soon to restructure the league for a possible season 2...

he has sent out interns to place 500 credit card "skimmers" at ATM's and large gas stations like Buccee's/Love's, etc to swipe money to "infuse" his pockets and create a nest-egg "for the League's 1/2 season"

17 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

From the AAF:ย Effective immediately, all AAF players are authorized to sign with NFL Clubs.

ย 

ย 

How those guys land on their feet rather it's NFL or other pro ball leagues.ย 

SUPPOSEDLY...there is an email that has been floated out "there" directly from "NFL Administrative Upper Level", advising that teams DO NOT sign any AAF players which is bizarre to say the least, if a team saw talent in these on air tryouts then let them sign someone. May God bless them!

12 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

SUPPOSEDLY...there is an email that has been floated out "there" directly from "NFL Administrative Upper Level", advising that teams DO NOT sign any AAF players which is bizarre to say the least, if a team saw talent in these on air tryouts then let them sign someone. May God bless them!

That doesn't make any sense...ย  why "embargo" the players? The only rationale for boycotting AAFL players would be to put the leagueย out of business. A bit late for that...

13 minutes ago, AKA said:

That doesn't make any sense...ย  why "embargo" the players? The only rationale for boycotting AAFL players would be to put the leagueย out of business. A bit late for that...

Because the NFL lost a lot of fringe guys and practice squad players to the AAF. This is the NFL tellingย those guys, "You left us. Sorry things didn't work out, but we have moved on."

2 minutes ago, topher805 said:

Because the NFL lost a lot of fringe guys and practice squad players to the AAF. This is the NFL tellingย those guys, "You left us. Sorry things didn't work out, but we have moved on."

I can see individual coaches and/or GMs maybe feeling that way, but to blackball a couple hundred players over them trying to raise their athletic profile is just retarded.ย 

• Like 1