🏈 Alliance of American Football

23 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

From Adam Schefter: There’s an AAFL signing - CB Keith Reaser from Orlando to the Chiefs, per source. Deal includes $100k up front — $50K signing bonus, $25k workout bonus and $25k roster bonus, per source. 

Hey, I don't make the news as the BLACKBALLING! I personally think a few teams could use Gilbert in camp, whether as a backup (maybe the Cowboys)...maybe some of the teams now going run-shoot! Some of the WR's seemed to have some skills that would definitely be worth looking at, considering what some teams get from their #3 receiver. As this would say, I'm sure that a couple of Orlando's DB's could make the league's camps to be looked at.

My real question on it...the league minimum is $480,000...are we actually saying that it's a contract for $480,000 with the above bonuses??? I'm actually asking.

2 hours ago, topher805 said:

Because the NFL lost a lot of fringe guys and practice squad players to the AAF. This is the NFL telling those guys, "You left us. Sorry things didn't work out, but we have moved on."

It could be a really bad move for the NFL  if any of those players are still paying their NFL union dues, because that's going to cause a major rift if they did.  I doubt it, but it's possible.  The CBA is still good until the end of next year, but it could cause a rift.   If none of them are paying their dues, then it's a good move by the NFL in protecting their union players, and will show good will towards them.  I doubt if the NFL has any knowledge of who is or isn't paying though.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I personally think a few teams could use Gilbert in camp, whether as a backup (maybe the Cowboys)... Some of the WR's seemed to have some skills that would definitely be worth looking at, considering what some teams get from their #3 receiver. As this would say, I'm sure that a couple of Orlando's DB's could make the league's camps to be looked at.

I agree, Gilbert showed some moxie. He's worth at least a spot on the practice squad. Kid's got a fresh arm, at least. Same with various wideouts, and plenty of defensive talent. 

Despite the utter failure of the league in finance and marketing, the quality of play had plenty of bright spots. NFL brass would be fools to just cut off their noses to spite their faces. 

2 hours ago, AKA said:

I agree, Gilbert showed some moxie. He's worth at least a spot on the practice squad. Kid's got a fresh arm, at least. Same with various wideouts, and plenty of defensive talent. 

Despite the utter failure of the league in finance and marketing, the quality of play had plenty of bright spots. NFL brass would be fools to just cut off their noses to spite their faces. 

Cleveland just signed Gilbert. 

• Like 1

I am sorry, these leagues are going to keep failing until they figure it out...  The market isn't with already professional players IMHO... I see the market being in the 18-22 yr olds...  Offer $80-1mil salaries to young coming out of high school recruits to play in your league.  While in your league, they can either get drafted or age out by the age of 22.  It needs to be regional... I would say something like 16-20 teams with East, South, West, North, and maybe Central represented.  

To work financially, these teams would need real TV sponsorship... ESPN or any major network.  They would need Brand sponsorship...  NIKE, Adidas, UA etc.  They would need premium sponsorship like a car production company... I am thinking something high-end like Audi...  They would need premium bling sponsorship... Rolex etc....  Then they would need to cut the nuts off of the NCAA... meaning the perks of the NCAA... free food, housing, clothes, etc... they need to be able to offer everything the NCAA schools do plus some. 

Finally, the biggest piece, they will need several billionaires and influential people to buy into this.  I would go after network owners/presidents... Trump... people who know business...  get them with this model and we have a legit NFL minor league.

• Like 1

On 4/4/2019 at 3:32 PM, Stoney said:

Charlie Ebersol interview where he gushes over Tom Dundon and his “$250m” investment.

I wasn't about to watch a 30 minute interview.  It is telling in the first minute is telling.  I'm not sure if he's talking about the employees including players, but I doubt it.  If you go from 3 employees in the front office to 1,200 that tells me you're spending a lot of money on salaries for people that didn't really contribute to the leagues success.  I can see maybe 100, but over 500 was overkill.  

21 minutes ago, DaveTV1 said:

I wasn't about to watch a 30 minute interview.  It is telling in the first minute is telling.  I'm not sure if he's talking about the employees including players, but I doubt it.  If you go from 3 employees in the front office to 1,200 that tells me you're spending a lot of money on salaries for people that didn't really contribute to the leagues success.  I can see maybe 100, but over 500 was overkill.  

Ebersol seems like a kid who was in over his head.

• Thanks 1

30 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Ebersol seems like a kid who was in over his head.

I agree, but he went with a fast track business plan on a large scale.  That has doomed thousand of American businesses.  You have to start small, and then grow your brand.  He wanted to be like the NFL from the get go, and that is not feasible, especially when it comes to sports.  The NFL started off small, and it built it's niche into the  American psyche over years.  It wasn't until the 70's that the NFL truly took off, but one could say it really started  growing in the 60's.  That's why the AFL flourished.  It is similar to the ABA of the 70's.  That was a different time period though, when kids weren't treated like Kings at the college level of sports with their travel and sports facilities.