Kyler Murray chooses Football

Stoney

Should Kyler choose baseball or football?

Baseball

Which sport is he better at? 

Football

I watched Kyler on the baseball field at OU, and while he is a good athlete, I didn't think for one second that he was the best player on the field. His speed is what got him that #9 pick. If you ask me, he's better at football. When choosing baseball or football it's a safe bet to go the baseball route, but I think it would have taken him a long time to find success in baseball.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

I watched Kyler on the baseball field at OU, and while he is a good athlete, I didn't think for one second that he was the best player on the field. His speed is what got him that #9 pick. If you ask me, he's better at football. When choosing baseball or football it's a safe bet to go the baseball route, but I think it would have taken him a long time to find success in baseball.

This. Very much this.

I was never crazy about him as a baseball player. He was good in high school, sure, and he had one decent hitting season at OU...  but outside of his speed and his arm strength, at the plate he was a "project" at best.

Do I think he could turn out to be a solid pro if he devoted himself to it 100 percent? Of course! But it's now obvious that football was his first love all along, and baseball was just something to do during the long boring months of spring and summer. 

Riley thinks Kyler gets drafted in top five picks

Dispel what you think you know about Murray—unless, of course, you’ve scouted him thoroughly or saw every game Oklahoma played last season. Because a sub-5-10 quarterback who runs the 40-yard dash in less than 4.4 seconds, ran the ball 140 times last fall and has quickness in Tyreek Hill’s league would naturally be a scrambling, throw-on-the-run type of player, right?

“What percentage of the time,” I asked Oklahoma coach and Murray mentor Lincoln Riley the other day, “would you guess Kyler threw from the pocket this year?”

Riley thought for a few seconds.

“Eighty-five percent?” Riley said. “Ninety, maybe.”

. . .

No wonder so many GMs and scouts and friends in the pro coaching business swear by Riley. He had Michael Vick on his hands and coached him like he was Carson Wentz. Riley got Murray ready for the next level, but that’s not why he coached Murray, and called plays for him, the way he did. Riley never got tempted to turn Murray into Lamar Jackson despite Murray’s 4.39-second time in the 40,  and Riley never had to call plays differently for Murray’s sightlines with a monstrous offensive line in front of him (6-5, 6-4, 6-5, 6-5 and 6-4 from left to right). Duke’s Daniel Jones, a fellow first-round prospect, is 6-5 and had 12 passes batted down last season. Missouri’s Drew Lock, 6-4, had eight. Murray had five.

So for the past two seasons, Riley has coached short quarterbacks into Heisman winners who became premier NFL prospects. (Baker Mayfield, at 6-foot 5/8, is 2 3/4 inches taller than Murray.) Riley said he called the same game for both players.

Phoning from Oklahoma the other day, Riley said: “Throughout all the years with both Baker and Kyler, I can’t ever remember there being a time where we said, We want to run this play, or use this scheme, or protect this way but we can’t do it because these guys are 5-10 or 6-foot instead of 6-4. It never really entered into the equation. I don’t think their pro coaches are going to think about it either.

Riley watched the draft process last year culminate in Mayfield going number one. He watched the success Mayfield had as the dominant presence in helping the Browns from 0-16 to 7-8-1. He thinks Murray will have the same impact on his NFL team.

“I will be shocked,” Riley said, “if five players get their name called on draft day before Kyler.”

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

My only concern with Kyler is how he recovers from his first big hit in a real NFL game, I haven't seen him ever take a big hit (HS or College), there are LBs just as fast as he is so we'll see if he can avoid major contact here at the next level. 

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I see this claim a lot, and it always seems a bit simplistic...   

First off, there are plenty of 6'5" 240lb pocket passers who've been knocked out of the game, and plenty of lithe under 6-foot wideouts or halfbacks who played long careers with minimal injuries. 

Again, I'm not saying that being bigger and heavier does not provide an advantage, but I don't agree that it's a foregone conclusion that Kyler will be knocked out of the game the moment he takes a "real" hit (whatever the hell that means), simply because of his size. Did Barry Sanders ever take a "real" hit? Did Darren Sproles? Did Doug Flutie?  

I don't care if you're Ben Roethlisberger, Philip RIvers, or Russell Wilson: anyone and everyone who plays in the NFL can get injured by a "real" hit. Ain't none of 'em made of steel. 

4 minutes ago, AKA said:

I don't necessarily disagree with you, but I see this claim a lot, and it always seems a bit simplistic...   

First off, there are plenty of 6'5" 240lb pocket passers who've been knocked out of the game, and plenty of lithe under 6-foot wideouts or halfbacks who played long careers with minimal injuries. 

Again, I'm not saying that being bigger and heavier does not provide an advantage, but I don't agree that it's a foregone conclusion that Kyler will be knocked out of the game the moment he takes a "real" hit (whatever the hell that means), simply because of his size. Did Barry Sanders ever take a "real" hit? Did Darren Sproles? Did Doug Flutie?  

I don't care if you're Ben Roethlisberger, Philip RIvers, or Russell Wilson: anyone and everyone who plays in the NFL can get injured by a "real" hit. Ain't none of 'em made of steel. 

Not saying he'll get knocked out, I haven't seen him get popped hard since I've been watching him (soph at Allen) he avoids major contact really good so far as a ball player. 

This what I mean by big hit: 

2 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

My only concern with Kyler is how he recovers from his first big hit in a real NFL game, I haven't seen him ever take a big hit (HS or College), there are LBs just as fast as he is so we'll see if he can avoid major contact here at the next level. 

When that happens, if he ever loses his speed advantage he's finished ...

• 2 weeks later...

Kyler Murray is heavier than Russell Wilson was at his combine, and his hands are the same size as Matt Ryan, Andy Dalton, Mitch Trubisky, Lamar Jackson, Robert Griffin, and Sam Bradford. 

So...   yeah.  

• Thanks 1

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 10:38 AM, AKA said:

Kyler Murray is heavier than Russell Wilson was at his combine, and his hands are the same size as Matt Ryan, Andy Dalton, Mitch Trubisky, Lamar Jackson, Robert Griffin, and Sam Bradford. 

So...   yeah.  

I seriously doubt he is 5' 10" .... maybe in 1" cleats standing on concrete on his tip toes ....

Edited by KirtFalcon
Yo Mama

On 3/2/2019 at 6:28 PM, KirtFalcon said:

I can't believe Murray skipped the entire combine ... if he wasn't going to participate he shouldn't have been there walking around ...

He'll throw and run and jump during his pro day at OU.

Nothing to gain from participating at the Combine other than getting his official height out there...  which resulted in his draft position receiving a significant boost. 

It was the right call. 

12 minutes ago, AKA said:

He'll throw and run and jump during his pro day at OU.

Nothing to gain from participating at the Combine other than getting his official height out there...  which resulted in his draft position receiving a significant boost. 

It was the right call. 

"official height" ... :rofl: Does anyone really believe he's 5'10"? .... :woot:

2 minutes ago, AKA said:

The NFL does. It doesn't matter what you or I believe. 

The NFL has a vested interested in   s t r e t c h I n g   his height .... :rofl: They, along with anyone that has been around him, knows he's lot closer to 5'8" .... 

Edited by KirtFalcon
  • LOL! 1

1 minute ago, KirtFalcon said:

The NFL has a vested interested in   s t r e t c h I n g   his height .... :rofl: They, along with anyone that has been around him, knows he's lot closer to 5'8" .... 

Ah, yes...  of course. 

15 hours ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

From BSO: The Anonymous Sources Are Back: Charley Casserly Says Teams Told Him Kyler Murray Had The Worst QB Combine of All-Time (Video) https://t.co/JKzqiyUA72 https://t.co/0aPozbDmEy

Im not understanding this at all. I'd like to know Casserly's sources. 

Meh...  I can see Murray not being a great interview. He often comes across as reticent and reserved in personality, and that's to friendly reporters. I can understand why a few GMs might not be impressed. Doesn't bother me. 

That said...  they ain't drafting him to hold press conferences. They'd be drafting him to score touchdowns. And my scouting report says he's pretty good at doing that. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AKA said:

Meh...  I can see Murray not being a great interview. He often comes across as reticent and reserved in personality, and that's to friendly reporters. I can understand why a few GMs might not be impressed. Doesn't bother me. 

That said...  they ain't drafting him to hold press conferences. They'd be drafting him to score touchdowns. And my scouting report says he's pretty good at doing that. 

Saw this on the Twitter: 

Lead his high school team to 3 straight state championship, at the highest classification in Texas. Father is a QB trainer and Guru. Drafted by a MLB team. Lead O.U. to conference championship. Very accurate. Low interception rate.

Something is not right… but in the end, the tape doesn’t lie.

Again, I get it. I understand that NFL guys expect a certain level of charisma and chutzpa in these interviews and chalk talk sessions. 

But something smells about this.

Reminds me of Marino back in '83 and the rumors that he was a cokehead with a bum knee. Granted, he did have a bum knee, but the rest of him worked fine enough. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AKA said:

Saw this on the Twitter: 

Again, I get it. I understand that NFL guys expect a certain level of charisma and chutzpa in these interviews and chalk talk sessions. 

But something smells about this.

Reminds me of Marino back in '83 and the rumors that he was a cokehead with a bum knee. Granted, he did have a bum knee, but the rest of him worked fine enough. 

I'll believe Kyler's coaches, teammates and family over some guy or guys interviewing Kyler for 15-20mins. 

• Thanks 1

17 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

I'll believe Kyler's coaches, teammates and family over some guy or guys interviewing Kyler for 15-20mins. 

You're obviously biased.

Anything that reflect poorly on Kyler or Oklahoma is obviously true.

Anything that reflects positively on Kyler or Oklahoma is obviously a deep state conspiracy involving the NFL, ESPN, and Trump's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.  

10 minutes ago, AKA said:

You're obviously biased.

Anything that reflect poorly on Kyler or Oklahoma is obviously true.

Anything that reflects positively on Kyler or Oklahoma is obviously a deep state conspiracy involving the NFL, ESPN, and Trump's father's brother's nephew's cousin's former roommate.  

I wouldn't draft Kyler #1 because (1) If I am Arizona, I don't need him.  (2) Too many question marks right now.  (3) I feel like the value to trade the #1 pick is greater than any player in this draft... Especially if you are Arizona...  Trade it for 2 1st rounders, a 2nd and a late... you surely can't screw up all 4 picks you would get for that... but you can get fired for picking a QB like Murray and it not working out...

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

I wouldn't draft Kyler #1 because (1) If I am Arizona, I don't need him.  (2) Too many question marks right now.  (3) I feel like the value to trade the #1 pick is greater than any player in this draft... Especially if you are Arizona...  Trade it for 2 1st rounders, a 2nd and a late... you surely can't screw up all 4 picks you would get for that... but you can get fired for picking a QB like Murray and it not working out...

I agree with all of the above, and think he's a better fit at Miami with the 13th pick.