2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

Friday's Red and White game should be a great community event for everyone to enjoy!  Lots of things going on.... even if you (*gasp*) don't like football (get to a doctor ASAP).

Event Line up
5:00 PM- Volleyball Spring Game (Maverick Gym)
5:00 PM Junior Varsity Red and White game (Maverick Stadium)
6:00 PM 8th Grade Combine
7:30 PM Varsity Red and White game (Raffle prizes will be held during this portion of the evening- do not have to be present to win).

Raffles tickets to raise money for the Legacy CampaignEveryone that pays the entry fee will be entered into the raffles for the prizes.  All proceeds will go to the new All-Sport athletic training facility.  $10 Adults and $5 for students

Prizes include:
55" HDTV TV
BBQ Grill donated by Lowe's
2 tickets to a Texas Rangers game-  behind home plate
2 tickets to a Texas A&M football game
2 Under Armour gift bags chock full of the newly designed Maverick apparel. 
Gift card from Brass Truck Boutique $50
3 Gift cards from Pic N Pay Texas Style Cooking
4 gift cards to Super 1 (Pinecrest only location; not Hwy 59 location)
Kirbie Lynne Photo Session
2 gift meals to Golden Chick (Marshall location only)
Half dozen of cupcakes from Sinfully Sweet Custom Cakes
2 Maverick Season Football tickets with M Loss Parking Pass
and more!

------------

Food trucks will include:
Volker Cafe featuring  beignets and waffle dogs ( https://www.volkercafe.com/ )
Sinfully Sweet Custom Cakes
Kona Ice slushes ( https://www.kona-ice.com/ )
Mega Bites Sliders Co. ( https://www.yelp.com/biz/mega-bites-sliders-co-marshall )
Stokers Down-home Cooking and BBQ 
Two Broke Girls Shaved Ice

------------

Like I said....a big night.  Should be a fun time for everyone.  And a chance to get a small glimpse of the 2019 football season.

See ya'll there.

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Heard from a reliable source that it sounds like Killeen Ellison is back in. 

The scrimmage will likely be in either Corsicana or Waxahachie.  Either that Friday or Saturday 23rd/24th  

Ellison was 4-6 last year.  Marshall dominated the scrimmage 28-7 IIRC. 

But the long road trip was what they were really looking for.  Paid off... because we ended up going to Houston and Frisco for playoff games. 

Still hearing a few things coming down the way. Shall see if they come to fruition. 

Thanks ‘Champ!

• Like 1

First time we’ve done all this. 

Credit Coach Griedl and his staff!!  These guys are busting their tails for the team for spring ball AND for the $5 million needed for the Legacy Campaign. 

The school board OKd the return of 7th grade football for 2020. But he is wanting it in time for 2019. 

Coach offered to raise $30K to make it happen for THIS fall. We will find out Monday if he did it.  I bet they did it.

They mean business.  

• Like 1

Legacy Campaign Update:

Project one is almost at its goal of $315,000.  $275,000 has been raised since it kicked off in March.  The remaining amount should be raised by the end of the month.

Project 2 will be next.  $2.5 Million will needed to turf Maverick Baseball field, Lady Mav softball field, and the two practice fields behind Maverick Stadium.

Project 3 will be final.  $1.5 Million for the covered field facility (pics are posted earlier in the thread.

Great job to the staff for getting the $315 in such a short amount of time.  

Keep it up!!!

---------------------
Recapping the new hires as we approach the end of the school year and enter a new season:

New Faces:
1.  Quinton Harlan was named DC.   Coming from 6A Waco Midway, where he was Co-DC. State finalist in 2017.

2.  Rob Phillips was named Strength and Conditioning for Mens and Ladies sports.  Coming from Northland Christian School in Houston.  Also worked at Tulane, U of Miami, Cleveland Browns

3.  Antse Woods was named Head Athletic Trainer; She is from Grapevine by way of Arlington Bowie and Lake Travis HS.

4. Brenton Whitaker was names OL coach.  From one of the Carrollton High schools.  Can't recall.  I think Hebron?  Maybe.  Maybe not.

Coaching Departures:
1.  Jerry Poth- Former DC.

2.  Aaron Babino- LB coach/ Associate AD.  He will be going to DeSoto.

3.  Coach Williams- Also going to DeSoto.

More to come?
1.  One of the areas's top track coaches could be headed to Marshall.  Stay tuned.

2.  One other hire appears to still be in the works.  But speculation and rumor is all I got.  But if it's true..... will be great news.

I'm sure I'm missing some new and departing staff.  I'll update as I get more info.

5 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

Legacy Campaign Update:

Project one is almost at its goal of $315,000.  $275,000 has been raised since it kicked off in March.  The remaining amount should be raised by the end of the month.

Project 2 will be next.  $2.5 Million will needed to turf Maverick Baseball field, Lady Mav softball field, and the two practice fields behind Maverick Stadium.

Project 3 will be final.  $1.5 Million for the covered field facility (pics are posted earlier in the thread.

Keep it up!!!

---------------------
Recapping the new hires as we approach the end of the school year and enter a new season:

New Faces:
1.  Quinton Harlan was named DC.   Coming from 6A Waco Midway, where he was Co-DC. State finalist in 2017.

2.  Rob Phillips was named Strength and Conditioning for Mens and Ladies sports.  Coming from Northland Christian School in Houston.  Also worked at Tulane, U of Miami, Cleveland Browns

3.  Antse Woods was named Head Athletic Trainer; She is from Grapevine by way of Arlington Bowie and Lake Travis HS.

4. Brenton Whitaker was names OL coach.  From one of the Carrollton High schools.  Can't recall.  I think Hebron?  Maybe.  Maybe not.

Coaching Departures:

More to come?
1.  One of the areas's top track coaches could be headed to Marshall.  Stay tuned.

2.  One other hire appears to still be in the works.  But speculation and rumor is all I got.  But if it's true..... will be great news.

I'm sure I'm missing some new and departing staff.  I'll update as I get more info.

You are losing both athletic trainers.  Marshall already hired the head for next year, will still need an assistant 

18 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

Legacy Campaign Update:

Keep it up!!!

---------------------

New Faces:

Coaching Departures:

More to come?

Great things happening in Mavs Nation.  Reading threads like this fires me up for the season. A lot of hard and dedicated work seems to be going on. Congrats 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cujo2016 said:

Great things happening in Mavs Nation.  Reading threads like this fires me up for the season. A lot of hard and dedicated work seems to be going on. Congrats 

Lots of excitement in town.   Just a continuation  of what Coach Harper started. 

Mavchamp I hope this is just a bad rumor that the 8th grade group selected to play the combine Friday night is made up of players that haven't been showing up for practice or 7 on 7 games. Doesn't sound to fair to the ones putting in the work. I hope and pray this is what it was to me just rumor. I really would hate to see Marshall slide back into a who you are and not based on your grades, work ethic, and attitude. A mind set such as this sours lots of good kids from even playing sports. All to often schools get caught up in a winning is everything mode when the bottom line is building good work ethics, grades, and students with strong moral fiber. I debated on even bring this up because rumors of this nature really saddened me. Again I pray this is only rumor.

According to the OC...... the MJHS 7 on 7 league  has been averaging about 150 kids. 

Sounds like they are showing up to me.  I haven’t heard anything to the.contrary. 

I’ll be looking for scoops tonight though. 

A few thoughts from the game:

Positives:  

1.  Developing depth at the QB position was a top priority.  JJ Green will be JJ. But if/when he’s out due to injury or a comfy lead.... we need someone to come out and move the ball.   We struggled with that last season. The offense would grind to a halt without JJ.  Burris looked strong tonight. Have to be thrilled with his progression.  

2. Our WR corps was a highlight in 2015. And again last season.  But they may even be better in 2019.  So many targets to pick from.  So much speed.  And they will get it if it’s anywhere near them. 

3.  Mav running game has been sketch the last couple of years. No big top notch RBs to hand the game to when running the clock is a priority (See Huntsville last season).  But we saw some strong runs tonight. Several break always with great speed. 

4,  Defense was outstanding most of the night. Lots of tackles for loss. Rushed the QB. Hard hits.... and caused some turnovers.  Not a bad night considering some key players that were out tonight for injuries. 

5.  The crowd.  Wowzers.  Most I’ve ever seen at a red and white scrimmage in 20 years.  More than some teams I saw last season for a real game.   Mav Nation seems fired up   Lots of excitement.  

6.  Participation numbers.  The numbers for the varsity and JV scrimmages were unreal.  But the number of MJHS players was insane.   Dunno where all those kids came from.   Just an explosion in participation from the JH.  

7.  First glimpse of some of the work UA, BSNSports, and Waterboy graphics is working on looks fantastic.  They just started this week and will have lots more coming over the summer.   These upgrades are exciting and great to see.  

Negatives:

1.  Turnovers.  A couple of turnovers by the RBs were troublesome.  And.... as per the norm it seems for the last couple of years..... the exchange from center to QB and/or QB handoff was more adventurous than it should be.  Gotta shire that up. 

2.  Defense struggled on some of their tackling that lead to some big gains. Can’t arm tackle. Will burn you every time. 

3.  No kicking tonight.  Was disappointed not having the kickers in the game. PAT’s and field goals were always an adventure last season.  Dunno if that’s improved or not. Hope so.  Such an important part of the game. Was hoping to see some work. 

4.  Something has GOT to be done about the lighting.  It’s tooooo dark on the field and in the stands when the sun goes down.  

5.  I didn’t win the Ranger tickets, Aggie football package, or the 55” screen TV.  Clearly it was rigged. Lmao. 

6. Hopefully either the community, MISD, a private donor.... or money from the sky can come renovate the restrooms.   Take care of this and we really got a top notch facility with the new press box, scoreboard, new turf, etc. 

Overall.  A great night for the program and the community.  Tons of positive things going on. But always some things to keep working on. 

7 on 7 league and SQTs are next. 

We will participate in the Tyler SQT and the Frisco tourney. Maybe a third.  Hate that the Lufkin SQT didn’t make. 

More updates later. 

Go Mavs go! 

• Like 1

FJust like last summer with the new press box at Maverick Stadium..... MISD will be voting on more repairs and upgrades at Monday’s meeting. 

1.  Resurface the track at Maverick Stadium  

2.  Resurface the 6 courts at the MHS Tennis Center.  

3.  Renovation and expansion of the weight rooms at Maverick Gym.  This money was raised by the Legacy Program, which will complete project 1 of the program.  

4.  Return of MJHS 7th grade football for THIS fall.  

School board will vote on all 4 proposals Monday evening.  

Total for all 4 projects is about $500K