2019 Marshall Maverick Thread

Mavchamp

1 hour ago, Mavchamp said:

Coach Griedl named Quinton Harlan as his defensive coordinator. He was approved by the school board last night. 

Coach Harlan comes from Waco Midway where he served as the Co-DC and defensive tackles coach for the Panthers. 

He was part of the staff that lead Midway to the 6A Div II state title game in 2017. 

Welcome coach Harlan!! 

Wow, that's a huge get for Marshall!

No disrespect intended, but what's the connection to Griedl? Did they coach together somewhere? 

4.5 weeks until spring ball for April/May with Red and White game capping it off  

Then 7 on 7 league/SQTs in June/July

Then it’s on!  Scrimmage Vs Killeen Ellison and kickoff Vs Tyler Lee.

As deep as their oceans are and as big as the fish are where they went.... they still trying to fish in our tiny little pond.

I hope karma takes a big bite out of that tail when the time is right 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

As deep as their oceans are and as big as the fish are where they went.... they still trying to fish in our tiny little pond.

I hope karma takes a big bite out of that tail when the time is right 

Lol, what kinda lunatic would leave Marshall for DeSoto right now?

The Mavericks have a legit shot at building something special right now. DeSoto is a train wreck dumpster fire. 

It was officially announced about the documentary film.  The production crew was in town last week grabbing footage. 

Hopefully the team will give them a great December run to make it more exciting.  #fingerscrossed

https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/sports/marshall-football-to-be-filmed-for-documentary/article_a097d220-4cd9-11e9-90d3-c79c84780493.html

-----------------------

Looks like 6A Killeen Ellison and Marshall won't be facing off in a scrimmage again this season.  The team is looking for a new opponent.  The Mavs travelled to Waco ISD Stadium last season to play Ellison before their kickoff game Vs. Tyler Lee.  Mavs won the scrimmage last August 28-0.

Interested to see if they try to make it another long road trip again.  They wanted that experience prior to the season.  Or if they would look a little more regionally.  Maybe snag an East Texas 5A/6A that has an open date. 

47 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

It was officially announced about the documentary film.  The production crew was in town last week grabbing footage. 

Hopefully the team will give them a great December run to make it more exciting.  #fingerscrossed

https://www.marshallnewsmessenger.com/sports/marshall-football-to-be-filmed-for-documentary/article_a097d220-4cd9-11e9-90d3-c79c84780493.html

-----------------------

Looks like 6A Killeen Ellison and Marshall won't be facing off in a scrimmage again this season.  The team is looking for a new opponent.  The Mavs travelled to Waco ISD Stadium last season to play Ellison before their kickoff game Vs. Tyler Lee.  Mavs won the scrimmage last August 28-0.

Interested to see if they try to make it another long road trip again.  They wanted that experience prior to the season.  Or if they would look a little more regionally.  Maybe snag an East Texas 5A/6A that has an open date. 

Waco ISD stadium is very accommodating for schools.  We (mineral wells) played there last season and will again in 2019.   That may not be an ideal spot for Mav fans to travel to for a scrimmage, but I loved it for our game.  

I didn’t go to Waco for the scrimmage. But from what I heard it was a fantastic trip all the way around. 

Waco ISD stadium is top notch.  It gave the team a chance to take a long road trip before the season (came in Handy with that game in Houston). 

Even though they were 6A.... I don’t think killeen Ellison was a top quality opponent, but they served a good purpose. 

Only complaint I heard was a 2 Pm-ish kickoff in late August.  I’m sure it was brutal. 

Not sure why we aren’t facing Ellison again.  Hope we can pick up a strong scrimmage before hosting Tyler Lee. 

32 minutes ago, Mavchamp said:

I didn’t go to Waco for the scrimmage. But from what I heard it was a fantastic trip all the way around. 

Waco ISD stadium is top notch.  It gave the team a chance to take a long road trip before the season (came in Handy with that game in Houston). 

Even though they were 6A.... I don’t think killeen Ellison was a top quality opponent, but they served a good purpose. 

Only complaint I heard was a 2 Pm-ish kickoff in late August.  I’m sure it was brutal. 

Not sure why we aren’t facing Ellison again.  Hope we can pick up a strong scrimmage before hosting Tyler Lee. 

Best bet may be a 4A school since they can have 2...

11 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Best bet may be a 4A school since they can have 2...

We had a great scrimmage series vs PG in 2016 and 2017. They punched us in the mouth pretty good. 

1 hour ago, 6922 said:

It will be a good year to follow the Mavs for the documentary. Mavs gonna be Goooooooooooood 

On paper yes.  Gotta translate it onto the field. 

We’ve had seasons with high expectations in the past that fell flat.  It’s crushing  

And other seasons that expectations were lesser that were great surprises. 

Honestly.....a lot of the hype has been generated by outside media. 

The city is just excited about a young coach that truly seems invested in community and less concerned with a resumé and public grandstanding. (Yeah... I said it). 

But yeah.... last years success at the varsity level coupled with a JV and two junior high district titles has folks excited not just about 2019..... but that the program is getting to where they can be consistent good. 

Time will tell. 

• Like 1

On 3/19/2019 at 2:17 PM, Mavchamp said:

Coach Griedl named Quinton Harlan as his defensive coordinator. He was approved by the school board last night. 

Coach Harlan comes from Waco Midway where he served as the Co-DC and defensive tackles coach for the Panthers. 

He was part of the staff that lead Midway to the 6A Div II state title game in 2017. 

Welcome coach Harlan!! 

Son of former Jacksonville HC Spike Harlan.

That’s about $160,000 raised in six weeks.

Great job by the community in supporting our program.  And a big thanks to those hustling for the donations.  

More to come!