🐺 2019 Defending 6A (D-II) State Champion Longview Lobos

LoboFan07

6 hours ago, BulldogBacker12 said:

I know you can’t replace Kamden Perry, but who is in line to be the number 1 receiver this year?

#21 Kaden Kearbey. I'll have to look up his numbers but he put up good numbers last year as complimentary WR to Perry. Actually don't think he dropped a pass last year.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, ANTI said:

#21 Kaden Kearbey. I'll have to look up his numbers but he put up good numbers last year as complimentary WR to Perry. Actually don't think he dropped a pass last year.

Kaden and Kyas were both clutch in the State Championship game. While not as absolutely amazing as Kamden, they catch just about anything that's in their vicinity...  and Haynes can get it in their vicinity.  ;) 

Tbh, I don't think we have any dropoff in the passing game, or the running game for that matter...  the x-factor is defense. As goes the defense, so goes the Lobos. 

3 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

God I love that helmet. Wish we would have a throwback to it for a game or season.

I'm thinking in 2037 we wear totally throwback uniforms in honor of the 1937 team.   :woot:

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AKA said:

Kaden and Kyas were both clutch in the State Championship game. While not as absolutely amazing as Kamden, they catch just about anything that's in their vicinity...  and Haynes can get it in their vicinity.  ;) 

Tbh, I don't think we have any dropoff in the passing game, or the running game for that matter...  the x-factor is defense. As goes the defense, so goes the Lobos. 

Kaden, Kyas, 2021 Cedric Hopkins...Braden and Pencheon at TE...a 3 year starter at QB. The passing game may just be better in 2019.

I already anticipate the play action being deadly with Meredith at RB.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ANTI said:

Kaden, Kyas, 2021 Cedric Hopkins...Braden and Pencheon at TE...a 3 year starter at QB. The passing game may just be better in 2019.

You're definitely reaching RIGHT NOW with the passing being better than last year. We also have a LOT of question marks on defense being hit hard by senior graduation. I mean, you don't replace or plug in another Lister at Safety or another Perry at wide receiver.

I am truly optimistic about Kyas Moore though with him stepping up big time in the playoffs last year. He was unequivocally the X-factor for us in the State Title game. Now, if Jaxon Smith transfers to Longview between now and the end of May 2019 then, I could definitely see your point.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, ANTI said:

Meredith looks like he's put on about 20+ pounds over the Winter (the good kind of pounds) but hasn't lost a step. I cannot wait to see what he does with 20 carries a game. Kid is scary good.

8 hours ago, Quick said:

I am truly optimistic about Kyas Moore though with him stepping up big time in the playoffs last year...

I don't know what Kaden Kearby and Kyas Moore have been doing in offseason but they both looked faster yesterday, especially Kearbey. That kid can fly! A legit 6A deep threat.

8 hours ago, Quick said:

We also have a LOT of question marks on defense being hit hard by senior graduation. I mean, you don't replace or plug in another Lister at Safety... 

Yeah, I'm with you on this point. Gonna be a defensive skeptic 'til we get a couple games into the season. Jephaniah Lister was (arguably) one of the best defensive players to ever wear a Lobo jersey.

Not saying the young guys can't/won't step up, but I'm gonna hold off on being hype 'til I see them in game action. 

• Like 1

What are all these big time question marks that peeps keep referring to on defense?

Goram-Welch and Beltran are two big time players returning on the D-Line. We do have locate one more starter on the line + depth graduates...but that won't be a problem.

LB is one of the most experienced areas returning on the team. Tyshawn Taylor was amazing last year as a JR and could've been defensive MVP in that state game. Laqualon Hale was district newcomer of the year last year as a sophomore. Cedric Smith, the transfer that we got from Cedar Hill last year, wasn't a starter...but was good in rotation and a big problem in kickoff coverage. Kybo Jackson-Jamerson also saw a ton of time last year as a sophomore and has the ceiling to be the best player on this defense. Robert Pierce started at that OLB/SS position and he was the best defender on our defense last year. Truly an INT magnet and I actually expect him to move into Lister's spot in the secondary.

Then in the secondary...Dakirin Buchanan brings his 6'1 physical frame back to the CB position. Colleges have been in contact. That leaves two safety positions and the other CB position to fill. But I already mentioned Pierce possibly taking over Lister's position. Tyree Hale and Ty Abney are two 2021 players that peeps need to become familiar with soon.

Not to mention we gained a transfer on this side of the ball who was all district, and I believe all state at another ETX school that won 10+ games last year.

Lister was amazing...one of the best to wear a Lobo uniform. But as a unit...don't be surprised if the defense is pretty dang good in 2019.

We'll be fine lol

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, ANTI said:

What are all these big time question marks that peeps keep referring to on defense?

Not questioning that talent is there. Shoot, I bet we've got 2s and 3s who are better than a lot of teams first-stringers. I'm just waiting to see how it all comes together. 

Offense is easy because we can probably out-talent 99 percent of Class 6A on offense...  but the D is the key. 

If the kids play up to their ability and we scheme well, your prophecy will certainly hold true.  👍

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Goram-Welch and Beltran are two big time players returning on the D-Line. We do have locate one more starter on the line + depth graduates...but that won't be a problem.

Beltran Beltran Beltran, oh man...  that kid is much bigger and stronger and faster than last year. Looks like a D-I prospect now.

If o-lines try to double-team Goram-Welch, Beltran is gonna feast

• Like 1

Lobo Fans...this is probably a crazy question, but do you think (minus the injuries and qb situation) 2017 team was better than this team....at least from a talent standpoint? Because they probably should have won state too.

36 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

Lobo Fans...this is probably a crazy question, but do you think (minus the injuries and qb situation) 2017 team was better than this team....at least from a talent standpoint? Because they probably should have won state too.

No.

While I agree 2017 should've won a ship...that team was not better than 2018 both offensively and on special teams.

The defenses come down to personal peferences. 

If you want a defense that bent, but came up with turnovers after turnovers...You'd probably favor 2017's defense.

If you want a defense that was more about physicality, getting stops and coming up big when it mattered...You'd probably favor 2018's defense.

Both were good defenses. But thrived differently.

2019 is gonna sort of be a mixture of the two.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

Not even close imo.

Now the real question would be, are we as good in 2018 and going into 2019 if we didn’t suffer the amount of injuries we did in 2017? A ton of underclassmen made their mark in 2017 because of those injuries and didn’t have to go through the growing pains you usually would in your first season. 

I do think we’re a completely different team in 2017 with a healthy Jessie Anderson. He was that one missing piece we needed imo. Yes he played vs Lufkin and Midway but he wasn’t himself after the injury. 2018 truly showed how special he was for us.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ANTI said:

While I agree 2017 should've won a ship...that team was not better than 2018 both offensively and on special teams.

The defenses come down to personal peferences. 

7 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Now the real question would be, are we as good in 2018 and going into 2019 if we didn’t suffer the amount of injuries we did in 2017? A ton of underclassmen made their mark in 2017 because of those injuries and didn’t have to go through the growing pains you usually would in your first season. 

I do think we’re a completely different team in 2017 with a healthy Jessie Anderson. He was that one missing piece we needed imo. Yes he played vs Lufkin and Midway but he wasn’t himself after the injury. 2018 truly showed how special he was for us.

Co-sign.

As high as I am on Kaden at RB1, I'm really gonna miss Jessie. That kid is gold. 

IF the Lobos can AVERAGE anything resembling last year's offensive production (50 pts and 520 ypg) then we'll be a force throughout. Yeah... that's a tall order for sure but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

The key is staying healthy which will determine how far we go. IF #10 and #35 are good to go THEN we'll be just fine !!

Anti...tell us about this transfer since you're teasing us...lol ??

RJ

• Like 2