🐺 2019 Defending 6A (D-II) State Champion Longview Lobos

LoboFan07

9 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Not even close imo.

Now the real question would be, are we as good in 2018 and going into 2019 if we didn’t suffer the amount of injuries we did in 2017? A ton of underclassmen made their mark in 2017 because of those injuries and didn’t have to go through the growing pains you usually would in your first season. 

I do think we’re a completely different team in 2017 with a healthy Jessie Anderson. He was that one missing piece we needed imo. Yes he played vs Lufkin and Midway but he wasn’t himself after the injury. 2018 truly showed how special he was for us.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the kicker we had this year came up big a few times in the playoffs. Once against Tascosa to give us a double digit lead (which ended up being the difference) and once in the state championship game to pull us to within 5 (again, it ended up being the difference), which let us score a TD to take the lead the next drive. The 2016 and 2017 teams were missing a good kicker. 

However, I agree 100% on the Jessie Anderson mention. He was a BEAST of a RB. Very physical and off the top of my head, I can think of several clutch plays he made that kept our season going. He scored a TD against the fast, physical Westfield defense to break what was a 0-0 tie. He scored the game-winning TD vs West Brook, and also made a tackle that ended up being HUGE on a 2-point attempt that was going the other way. Plus, he was always clutch inside the 20. You knew he was a sure bet... He scored a few close TDs in the playoffs against Tascosa, West Brook, Vandegrift, and Rockwall. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, JohnnyFootball said:

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the kicker we had this year came up big a few times in the playoffs. Once against Tascosa to give us a double digit lead (which ended up being the difference) and once in the state championship game to pull us to within 5 (again, it ended up being the difference), which let us score a TD to take the lead the next drive. The 2016 and 2017 teams were missing a good kicker. 

Good point. JK Martin was money this season...  on field goals, extra points, kickoffs and punts. If we had "needed" him more often, he would've been All-State. Off the top of my head, I can only recall a couple missed kicks or shanked punts. Kid was solid. 

I like what I've seen out of the young kids competing for K/P next year, but Martin graduating leaves a huge hole in a vital role. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AKA said:

Good point. JK Martin was money this season...  on field goals, extra points, kickoffs and punts. If we had "needed" him more often, he would've been All-State. Off the top of my head, I can only recall a couple missed kicks or shanked punts. Kid was solid. 

I like what I've seen out of the young kids competing for K/P next year, but Martin graduating leaves a huge hole in a vital role. 

Yeah that was the thing. He didn't score all that many points- he didn't have to. But when we absolutely needed him, he was there. Consider our season ended many times of special teams miscues. 

2003- Miss FG to end regulation, lost in OT

2005- Missed FG

2006- Blocked FG

2009- Bad special teams miscues on kickoffs and such

2010- Blocked punt

2014- Missed FG

2015- Missed FG

2016- Missed FG

2017- Missed FG

Finally that one chink in our armor was closed. 

• Like 1

As long as Longview has used a FB, not one of them saw the usage that Jessie saw.

He did everything. 1,500+ total yards and 29 TDs from the FB position. And his blocking was...whew.

If he isn't injured in 2017, not only is Longview in better position for a title...but he'd be FBS bound instead of FCS bound.

And this should've been JK Martin's 2nd year as starter if you catch my drift. Best K/P we've had in a long time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ANTI said:

As long as Longview has used a FB, not one of them saw the usage that Jessie saw.

He did everything. 1,500+ total yards and 29 TDs from the FB position. And his blocking was...whew.

If he isn't injured in 2017, not only is Longview in better position for a title...but he'd be FBS bound instead of FCS bound.

And this should've been JK Martin's 2nd year as starter if you catch my drift. Best K/P we've had in a long time.

Who will replace jk as kicker

1 hour ago, JohnnyFootball said:

The 2016 and 2017 teams were missing a good kicker.

2016 was missing a lot more than a good kicker lol.

Agreed on 2017 though. The dude was overhyped to the 9th degree. Least we forget he nearly cost us the Lufkin game with his foot alone.

• Like 1

On 4/2/2019 at 11:42 AM, WolverBean said:

Who will replace jk as kicker

Spencer Powell, who backed up JK this year as a sophomore 

On 4/2/2019 at 8:49 AM, RandyJohnson said:

Anti...tell us about this transfer since you're teasing us...lol ??

We got nuttin lol

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

Whoa look at Haynes looks like grown since state!?  

If I see him listed at "6-2" again this Spring, I'm probably gonna lose it. Just ask @ANTI and @LoboFan07, I've been ranting about this since last year. 

Kid hasn't been 6-2 since his freshman season. 

• Like 2

Haynes should be listed at 6''4" 190 lbs in the fall.

He's all ready the #3 Rated Dual Threat QB "Nationally' by 247 Recruiting with a 4 Star ranking.

Look for him to get the coveted 5 Star rating during the Fall.

Keep it coming guys !

RJ

• Like 2

18 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

Not even close imo.

Now the real question would be, are we as good in 2018 and going into 2019 if we didn’t suffer the amount of injuries we did in 2017? A ton of underclassmen made their mark in 2017 because of those injuries and didn’t have to go through the growing pains you usually would in your first season. 

I do think we’re a completely different team in 2017 with a healthy Jessie Anderson. He was that one missing piece we needed imo. Yes he played vs Lufkin and Midway but he wasn’t himself after the injury. 2018 truly showed how special he was for us.

ok. I thought 2017 was pretty talented, especially if Anderson would have played. Plus yall had a very good TE and and WR and the DB with all those picks.  

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, JTFAN99 said:

ok. I thought 2017 was pretty talented, especially if Anderson would have played. Plus yall had a very good TE and and WR and the DB with all those picks.  

I'll break it down like this

QB

HK took snaps both years. Breaking records in 2018, finally being named starter in 2017 after Horn woke us up. Haynes was good in 2017 and a big reason why we went as far as we did that year with some very clutch throws in that playoff run. But 2018 version of Haynes was on a completely different level.

Winner: 2018

Backfield

It's always tough comparing Longview backfields since ya know...they're all usually good lol the styles may differ but the talent is always there. Long story short here...2017 had a good backfield but 2018 featured a healthy Jessie Anderson, a more experienced Keilyn Williams and a super sophomore who could take it to the house any play in Kaden Meredith...among others. 

WR

The 2018 version of Kamden Perry broke records what seemed like every week. Dude even holds the UIL 6A record for most receiving yards in a state game. That's insane. And don't let Perry's greatness cloud the stud that Kaden Kearbey was. The deep threat in Kyas Moore was icing on the cake. AC was a monster in 2017 and should've been developed as a WR the entire time....but edge goes to 2018. 2018 was so talented at WR, moving Jacob Johnson to DB didn't even hurt us, and he was a dang good WR in 2017 before his injury.

TE

2018 had more depth at TE without question. We rotated Peters, Braden and Randall at TE in 2018....all were good. They truly were. But Jaylin Brown was great and is the best TE in Lobo history statistically. For that...I'll give the edge to 2017.

Winner: 2017

OL

I really do respect what the 2017 line accomplished considering they were so injured....but Haynes didn't get his 1st sack in 2018 until Week 10 vs Mesquite lol

K/P

No long explanation needed here. Martin was way better than any kicker we've had in a while. 

Defense....as I said earlier both were good but thrived differently. If I had to choose...I'd take 2018's D-Line and LB's over 2017's. I'd also take 2018's safeties. CB really, really does come down to preference. Harmon and Carr (2017) were awesome coverage corners, while Rodgers and Buchanan (2018) were more physical corners. I'd give the edge to 2017 but barely.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 4/2/2019 at 3:40 PM, RandyJohnson said:

Haynes should be listed at 6''4" 190 lbs in the fall.

And I'm a big enough man to admit you were right about his frame last season. I was worried that he needed to put on weight to take a post-season pounding. But the kid's a scrapper.

6'4" 190 is a good size for a dual-threat passer with his skill set. 

On 4/3/2019 at 6:30 AM, LoboFan07 said:

That’ll happen in 2020 😂

Yes, give him all the carries!  :D 

On 4/3/2019 at 8:23 AM, ANTI said:

I'll break it down like this...

Good stuff.  👍

I'm still gonna wring my hands about the defense, but if you've seen any of my posts about the Sooners, you know I'm a shameless poor-mouther.  :D 

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, AKA said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but I couldn't help but notice... 

sg4ZdX.jpg

Yep.

BTW, that dude to the right of Coach King is an under the radar baller. Gonna be a problem on special teams for sure this coming year.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, ANTI said:

BTW, that dude to the right of Coach King is an under the radar baller. Gonna be a problem n special teams for sure this coming year.

Yessir.  Jayden "J.D." Williams (5-9 160lbs) senior QB/RB/WR/KR/PR/everything

• Like 2

9 hours ago, WolverBean said:

We need to use him more

We had a wealth of firepower this past year, on offense as well as special teams. J.D. would've started at 99 percent of schools in East Texas (at QB, RB, or WR!), but he still made a strong impression coming off the bench for us. 

I have it on good authority that he's going to have every opportunity to shine next year. I agree with Anti and LoboFan: he's gonna have a breakout season. 

• Like 2