🐺 2019 Defending 6A (D-II) State Champion Longview Lobos

LoboFan07

I'm concerned defensively especially with a depleted secondary, for the most part. West Monroe is going to be the closest matchup we'll get in comparison to Galena Park North Shore as a barometer on where we're at collectively as a team.

That is in no way, shape, form or fashion a knock on Lufkin nor John Tyler either. But, this West Monroe team is the real deal. As I mentioned a few months ago, I LOVE Kyas Moore as a supplemental receiver to Kearby but AGAIN, make no mistake. As spectacular as they are in their own rights, they are in no way Kamden Perry. You're talking about currently a Lobo Legend. And, the same thing goes for Jephaniah Lister on the defense. You don't just plug in another legend like that. 

There's an old adage that says, "You're not half as bad as you think you are and you're not half as good as you think you are." We going to get everyone's absolute best every Friday night. I mean, you can expect for all teams to pretty much "empty their tanks" on us from the time the first whistle blows until the last.

And, JV time and situational, sporadic playing time does NOT equate to FULL-TIME VARSITY STARTER time! I know a couple of y'all like to believe that but, it doesn't. It helps but, it is NOT the same as seeing varying nuances of the opposition head to head and play to play ON THE FIELD. Jaxson Smith from Rockwall unfortunately will expose our young and inexperienced defensive backs a few times to prove my point. I hope like hell I am dead wrong, though. But, I prefer to be a Realist too.

• Like 1

On 5/20/2019 at 8:17 AM, AKA said:

We've got a board meeting tonight, so I'm not sure if I'm going to be able to go...  I'm counting on @Quick and @ANTI to provide a detailed breakdown.

Between their contrasting optimism (Anti) and pessimism (Quick) I'm expecting a pretty fair analysis.  :D  

You come to me for not only optimism, but accuracy. lol

Checkout 6A thread for my thoughts, you know I'm usually more in depth over there with lineups and everything.

I have not a single concern about this squad. I said months ago that the D had a chance to be even better than 2018s D. Sure looks like it so far.

There are two areas to watch going into summer and even predistrict: OL and CB2. Again, not areas of concern by any stretch for me, but worth watching. I'd bet that we won't have a solid starting 5 upfront, or solid starter at CB2 until Rockwall comes to town.

Btw, Spencer Powell won't be JK Martin but he'll be decent in his own way.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ANTI said:

You come to me for not only optimism, but accuracy. lol

Checkout 6A thread for my thoughts, you know I'm usually more in depth over there with lineups and everything.

I have not a single concern about this squad. I said months ago that the D had a chance to be even better than 2018s D. Sure looks like it so far.

There are two areas to watch going into summer and even predistrict: OL and CB2. Again, not areas of concern by any stretch for me, but worth watching. I'd bet that we won't have a solid starting 5 upfront, or solid starter at CB2 until Rockwall comes to town.

Btw, Spencer Powell won't be JK Martin but he'll be decent in his own way.

So, you have absolutely NO concerns at all is what you're saying? I just want to make sure I'm clear on that?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Quick said:

I'm concerned defensively especially with a depleted secondary, for the most part. West Monroe is going to be the closest matchup we'll get in comparison to Galena Park North Shore as a barometer on where we're at collectively as a team.

West Monroe is not even close to North Shore's level...and even so, we have absolutely zero chance of playing any team this season that is similar to them.

They're in a completely different league and completely different class than us and anyone we will even think of having to face. No reason to even put your mind to them.

Do I think the Rebs are our best non-district game? Absolutely. Maybe even our best competition in general in the regular season, but meh.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Quick said:

So, you have absolutely NO concerns at all is what you're saying? I just want to make sure I'm clear on that?

Like I told you prior to last season and the year before, this group is good. One of the reasons that I was able to predict "good things to happen" 2017-2019 years ago is because I've followed this group fairly closely since their 7th grade years.

I have not a single concern with this potential starting lineup. Injuries, particularly at the QB position, are the only thing that could possibly derail this squad.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

West Monroe is not even close to North Shore's level...and even so, we have absolutely zero chance of playing any team this season that is similar to them.

They're in a completely different league and completely different class than us and anyone we will even think of having to face. No reason to even put your mind to them.

Do I think the Rebs are our best non-district game? Absolutely. Maybe even our best competition in general in the regular season, but meh.

I think you're grossly underestimating and damn near dismissing this West Monroe team. There ain't but a handful of teams out of the entire state of Louisiana that I will give credit to and West Monroe is ALWAYS one of them. Not giving credit to Evangel because they are always finding creative ways to circumvent the system even until this day. Zachary and Acadiana would be the other ones who aren't KNOWN for blatantly recruiting 4 & 5 star players around the state.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

Like I told you prior to last season and the year before, this group is good. One of the reasons that I was able to predict "good things to happen" 2017-2019 years ago is because I've followed this group fairly closely since their 7th grade years.

I have not a single concern with this potential starting lineup. Injuries, particularly at the QB position, are the only thing that could possibly derail this squad.

Dude, I have film from Lister and a surplus of other Lobos from the 7th grade as well. I definitely salute you and your efforts, towards covering up and coming athletes. I for one, did NOT see Haynes King making the transition that he did and I will wholeheartedly admit that. I have to take everything you say with a grain of salt because you come at it totally as a hype man and only in an absolute frame of mind without taking in variables that could turn a season around for an uptick or decline. 

Speaking of Haynes King, God forbids an injury happens to him how prepared is the next man up? Who is he? What's his work ethic? Can he command a huddle much less a team? Can he grasp a complex playbook and pick up on blitzes, when to audible, how to watch the playclock, recognize stunts, know who his blocker or blockers are on his blind side? Is he elusive or a mere pocket passer? Are you confidant at JD Williams height that he can step in and lead like King? Have you seen enough of a potential backup in action to warrant such confidence? 

Now, I just asked you a bunch of questions and that's ONLY about the quarterback. Now, imagine those same questions to a lesser degree about your heavy-hit secondary positions due to graduation. These are ALL legitimate concerns for anyone watching  any amount of football to have regardless of what team you are associated with, pull for or classification. But, to unequivocally state that you have NO concerns at all is a concern within itself. It's okay to optimistic but, be reserved at the same time. I promise you, it ain't a crime.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Quick said:

I think you're grossly underestimating and damn near dismissing this West Monroe team. There ain't but a handful of teams out of the entire state of Louisiana that I will give credit to and West Monroe is ALWAYS one of them. Not giving credit to Evangel because they are always finding creative ways to circumvent the system even until this day. Zachary and Acadiana would be the other ones who aren't KNOWN for blatantly recruiting 4 & 5 star players around the state.

I think you’re underestimating how good North Shore is. 

West Monroe is a very solid opponent and program. There’s no one doubting that. I full well just said they’re by far the best non district team we’ll face all year. Probably the best we’ll face in the first 12 weeks with all that Rockwall and Horn lost. 

They’re still no where near the level of the Mustangs. 

That said, I don’t think they’re the West Monroe that was there when Shows was their head coach. But we’ll see come September I guess.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Quick said:

Now, I just asked you a bunch of questions and that's ONLY about the quarterback. Now, imagine those same questions to a lesser degree about your heavy-hit secondary positions due to graduation. These are ALL legitimate concerns for anyone watching  any amount of football to have regardless of what team you are associated with, pull for or classification. But, to unequivocally state that you have NO concerns at all is a concern within itself. It's okay to optimistic but, be reserved at the same time. I promise you, it ain't a crime.

Why are you so worried about the secondary? Serious question.

Dakirin Buchanan  (CB1) and Robert Pierce (S) were two of the best defenders in 6A last season. The other S postition, AKA Lister's spot, features Shannon Jackson who moved from RB to S. I'll admit that I was worried about the move at 1st because offense and defense have two totally different mentalities but after watching him progress and adjust this spring (like Lister had to when he moved from RB to S)...Shannon Jackson is a playmaker. And even if he doesn't work out in the long run, he'll just move back as depth at RB and Tyree Hale, also a talented JR, will get his chance to shine. 

I'll give you CB2 as I like Abney a little more than Webb but you're talking as if the secondary as a whole is bad lol

• Like 1

I don't know why all the worrying.  I am very excited about this year.  Do not say green glasses or anything like that.  We just went 16-0, State Champs and return a very, very talented core nucleus on offense and defense.  On a year when we went 9-2 or 10-2 this group would be generating excitement.  We have experienced players at every position, who had 19 weeks of practice last year, 4 this spring, and 18 weeks the year before, 22 including spring ball.  Longview has a tremendous program.  John King is an elite coach on any level. 3 State Championship appearances, 2 semi-finals, 2 quarter finals, and 15 playoffs in 15 seasons.  Not worried at all.  Just going to enjoy the ride and support my LOBOS!!!!

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, 85lobooldschool said:

I don't know why all the worrying.  I am very excited about this year.  Do not say green glasses or anything like that.  We just went 16-0, State Champs and return a very, very talented core nucleus on offense and defense.  On a year when we went 9-2 or 10-2 this group would be generating excitement.  We have experienced players at every position, who had 19 weeks of practice last year, 4 this spring, and 18 weeks the year before, 22 including spring ball.  Longview has a tremendous program.  John King is an elite coach on any level. 3 State Championship appearances, 2 semi-finals, 2 quarter finals, and 15 playoffs in 15 seasons.  Not worried at all.  Just going to enjoy the ride and support my LOBOS!!!!

Yessir.

To add to the secondary comments, we were literally in a worst situation going into 2018 than this year.

Peeps forget that we loss 4 SRs from that 2017 secondary including Carr and Harmon. But I never panicked because I knew what upcoming players like Dakirin Buchanan and Robert Pierce were capable of. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

To add to the secondary comments, we were literally in a worst situation going into 2018 than this year. 

FWIW, I feel much better about our defense this year than last year, specifically the secondary. 

No, you don't replace a Jephaniah Lister. Ever. Not this year or any year. Young man is one of the best overall football players in Lobo history...

But that doesn't mean that the secondary as a unit will be unable to reload. 

Robert Pierce and Dakirin Buchanan both came up big in numerous clutch situations last year. Both have practiced solid thus far. 

Ty Abney, Tyree Hale, Patrick Webb, Shannon Jackson, etc. have all had days where one of them looked stronger than the others, so I won't even hazard a guess as to who starts Week 1, but they're already starting to come together as a unit and it's just now the end of Spring practice. By the time two-a-days are done they're gonna be mustard. 

Just as a couple of others have noted this program has now reached a level whereby a "rebuild" isn't even a thought. 

The Lobos are coming off of their greatest season EVER and bring back 30 Lettermen with 4 Offensive and 5 Defensive starters leading the way off the Championship winning 16-0 2018 season. Adding to that is a 10-0 JV team that will blend into new varsity roles.

Furthermore, Longview will be the "odds on favorite" to repeat & defend the D-II Class 6A Title ! That's the deal ! The proverbial "target" is squarely on the backs of the Green, White and Gold !

Obviously, the schedule and the 2019 edition's health will all be keys to the success (or failure) for this upcoming season. If the Lobos can get through the non-district slate unscathed as well as undefeated then...look out !!

Longview "averaged" almost 50 ppg. coupled with 520 yards offensively per contest last season and a bend but don't break defense. They'll be very good again on both sides perhaps even better defensively...imo ! 

This 2019 season should be another entertaining and interesting ride. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, RandyJohnson said:

Just as a couple of others have noted this program has now reached a level whereby a "rebuild" isn't even a thought. 

The Lobos are coming off of their greatest season EVER and bring back 30 Lettermen with 4 Offensive and 5 Defensive starters leading the way off the Championship winning 16-0 2018 season. Adding to that is a 10-0 JV team that will blend into new varsity roles.

Furthermore, Longview will be the "odds on favorite" to repeat & defend the D-II Class 6A Title ! That's the deal ! The proverbial "target" is squarely on the backs of the Green, White and Gold !

Obviously, the schedule and the 2019 edition's health will all be keys to the success (or failure) for this upcoming season. If the Lobos can get through the non-district slate unscathed as well as undefeated then...look out !!

Longview "averaged" almost 50 ppg. coupled with 520 yards offensively per contest last season and a bend but don't break defense. They'll be very good again on both sides perhaps even better defensively...imo ! 

This 2019 season should be another entertaining and interesting ride. 

It is because of Haynes. If he was a senior last year then the conversation would be different around the team.

• Like 1
  • Stinks 4

No,  John King is a great coach.  We've had 2 total returning starters and went 10-0 in the regular season.  Longview has kids that will be role players their junior season and get a D-I scholarship their senior season.  Travion Howard is a perfect example.  I think we have reached that point all schools want to get to,  where you have good numbers every year and have the ability to have underclassmen contribute and grow every season.  That being said, a player of Haynes' caliber graduating would effect any program.  

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 85lobooldschool said:

No,  John King is a great coach.  We've had 2 total returning starters and went 10-0 in the regular season.  Longview has kids that will be role players their junior season and get a D-I scholarship their senior season.  Travion Howard is a perfect example.  I think we have reached that point all schools want to get to,  where you have good numbers every year and have the ability to have underclassmen contribute and grow every season.  That being said, a player of Haynes' caliber graduating would effect any program.  

I was talking about the "state championship" expectations part.

2 hours ago, Valhalla said:

It is because of Haynes. If he was a senior last year then the conversation would be different around the team.

BUT Haynes wasn't a Sr last year !!

So the conversation IS that HK will be leading this team !

I know exactly what you're alluding to Valhalla and the fact of the matter is that HK will STILL be an 18 year old playing during HIS Senior season and AFTER he graduates early in December !

Besides, while any team would miss a QB of his talent, the Lobos could depend on a JD Williams as he's a "baller" and would be the starting QB at just about every other high school around East Texas.

Longview has skill talent... actually an embarrassment of riches...littered all over the field !

They'll be just fine... even if HK misses some time...God forbid !!

23 minutes ago, TheFootballFan said:

Yawn.... what an irrelevant discussion!!! Lol ... geez.... come on guys! How about who’s going to be the player nobody’s talking about but maybe a star in the making? Or player who might have a huge impact?!! 

SS Kybo Jackson-Jamerson (6'2 200) on defense. Talked about him months ago, had @jbabi86 raving in about him during the spring game. #3. Cedric Smith (6'1 195) LB who came from Cedar Hill may not start ahead of Taylor and Hale but while in rotation, his presence will be felt on the field.

On offense, I could nominate a few honestly. JD Williams, Keith Halton, CJ Hopkins, Austin Pencheon, Tavion Sterling (moved over from defense to offense) are all under the radar players/secret weapons worthy of discussion.

I'll take it a little more deep....sophomore RB Isailynn Taylor (5'10 170). He didn't have the strongest spring game...I know. But this dude is another one of those talented Judson product RBs in the making. Had a strong spring as a whole... Fast, fast back. He definitely has a shot at RB2 in the fall.

JD, Robert Pierce and Shannon Jackson will be a problem on special teams.