🐺 2019 Defending 6A (D-II) State Champion Longview Lobos

LoboFan07

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

SS Kybo Jackson-Jamerson (6'2 200) on defense. Talked about him months ago, had @jbabi86 raving in about him during the spring game. #3. Cedric Smith (6'1 195) LB who came from Cedar Hill may not start ahead of Taylor and Hale but while in rotation, his presence will be felt on the field.

Guess the secrets out now lol

• Like 1

On 5/21/2019 at 8:59 PM, LoboFan07 said:

West Monroe is not even close to North Shore's level...and even so, we have absolutely zero chance of playing any team this season that is similar to them.

They're in a completely different league and completely different class than us and anyone we will even think of having to face. No reason to even put your mind to them.

Do I think the Rebs are our best non-district game? Absolutely. Maybe even our best competition in general in the regular season, but meh.

I want you to elaborate on (IN YOUR WORDS) a different league. I take it you think we'd get donkey stomped by North Shore? If so, why?

5 hours ago, Quick said:

I want you to elaborate on (IN YOUR WORDS) a different league. I take it you think we'd get donkey stomped by North Shore? If so, why?

North Shore returns literally everybody off a team fresh off dominating every single team they faced last season, apart from one, including Katy and Lake Travis.

They’re the best team in Texas, and itd be hard to convince me they’re not the best high school team in the country.

West Monroe is a solid program, but 5A in Louisiana is not 6A Division I. Especially for a team who didn’t even win State in 5A LA last year. 

Do I think North Shore completely donkey stomps us? No. But I do believe they’re 14/17 points better than us. 

What makes you believe West Monroe is on  their level?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, ANTI said:

I'll take it a little more deep....sophomore RB Isailynn Taylor (5'10 170). He didn't have the strongest spring game...I know. But this dude is another one of those talented Judson product RBs in the making. Had a strong spring as a whole... Fast, fast back. He definitely has a shot at RB2 in the fall.

I was just about to mention him...  kid was on the verge of breaking it several times. The thing I like those most about him isn't his speed, but how he'll lower his head for more yardage when hemmed in. Kinda reminds me of Jessie in that way.

By the time he's a senior he should be an imposing physical presence in the backfield.  

vZTBTHZ.jpg

15 hours ago, TheFootballFan said:

How about who’s going to be the player nobody’s talking about but maybe a star in the making? Or player who might have a huge impact?!! 

A young player to watch is linebacker Devean Isaac (5-10 205 Soph.). Yeah, he'll probably spend most of the season on JV, but the kid has a nose for the ball, and loves contact. Really like his motor and his big play potential. I bet he gets varsity reps before the regular season is out. 

fwezsKI.jpg

Another JV kid who I think could come on by the end of the season is cornerback Dylan Davis (5-9 155 Junior). He's a bit underweight, but he's got dawg in him and plays physical.

vnC3iuw.jpg

Most of y'all are probably well aware of Drew Beltran (6-0 240 Senior), and I've mentioned him here a few times, but I want to say again that I think he can have a really big year. With all the focus on Sawyer "the golden god" Goram-Welch, Beltran's gonna feast. Kid has gained at least 25 pounds since December, and has had a great off-season in the weight room. Opposing o-lines can't double-team both of 'em. 

8Jg3UHc.jpg

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

North Shore returns literally everybody off a team fresh off dominating every single tweak they faced last season, apart from one, including Katy and Lake Travis.

They’re the best team in Texas, and itd be hard to convince me they’re not the best high school team in the country.

West Monroe is a solid program, but 5A in Louisiana is not 6A Division I. Especially for a team who didn’t even win State in 5A LA last year. 

Do I think North Shore completely donkey stomps us? No. But I do believe they’re 14/17 points better than us. 

What makes you believe West Monroe is on my their level?

Well, in regards to the relation to the 5A La. Classification vs the 6A Tx. Classification is apples to oranges because Louisiana doesn't have these plethora of behemoth enrollment schools with 4,000 plus students or the astronomical 7,000 students like Allen in which a 6A Classification had to be added. West Monroe, if I'm not mistaken has a larger enrollment than Longview.

I'm with you on SOME of your sentiments about North Shore. I too, think they are the best team in Texas. As a matter of fact, I think they are hands down the best in the country especially with what they have coming back. That why it irks me that this poll came out here recently with North Shore as the No.2 ranked team in the state of Texas behind Allen - clear and utter D/FW bias in my opinion.

Where we disagree on is this. I think THIS Lobo team CAN knock off North Shore and I know the schedules have been finalized but JUST THIS ONCE, I wish young Haynes King would go to his Dad and say, "Dad, call coach Kay at North Shore and get this game done THIS YEAR even if it means breaking the contract for a team already on schedule this year and making it up to them next year." I personally am sick and tired of the country and the state talking "Sugar Honey Ice Tea" about our boys as if we don't belong on the field and would get blown out by North Shore. 

We CAN play with them and beat them but we'd have to play a near perfect game. They are NOT out of our league. This isn't Pine Tree vs North Shore. I just want John King to get it done no matter what. I don't CARE about what or who's on schedule right now. I WANT THIS GAME DONE - PERIOD. I just am too busy in the oilfield and refineries and quite frankly don't have enough pull to get it done. 

This would automatically be the Game of the Year NATIONWIDE. Since when did we start shying away from the best competition!?? We didn't get to where we are at as a program by scheduling Pine Tree and Hallsville. We got to where we're at by scheduling the Midland Lee's, Evangel's, John Curtis', Abilene's, Allen's and West Monroe's of the world. Guess what? We've beaten all of the aforementioned. We have a definitive chance of making a statement and shutting a lot of people up if John King would get this done somehow. This wouldn't be the first time we've pulled out of a contract for a couple of reasons.

-Sorry for the Short Novel. Y'all know how I am.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Quick said:

Well, in regards to the relation to the 5A La. Classification vs the 6A Tx. Classification is apples to oranges because Louisiana doesn't have these plethora of behemoth enrollment schools with 4,000 plus students or the astronomical 7,000 students like Allen in which a 6A Classification had to be added. West Monroe, if I'm not mistaken has a larger enrollment than Longview.

I'm with you on SOME of your sentiments about North Shore. I too, think they are the best team in Texas. As a matter of fact, I think they are hands down the best in the country especially with what they have coming back. That why it irks me that this poll came out here recently with North Shore as the No.2 ranked team in the state of Texas behind Allen - clear and utter D/FW bias in my opinion.

Where we disagree on is this. I think THIS Lobo team CAN knock off North Shore and I know the schedules have been finalized but JUST THIS ONCE, I wish young Haynes King would go to his Dad and say, "Dad, call coach Kay at North Shore and get this game done THIS YEAR even if it means breaking the contract for a team already on schedule this year and making it up to them next year." I personally am sick and tired of the country and the state talking "Sugar Honey Ice Tea" about our boys as if we don't belong on the field and would get blown out by North Shore. 

We CAN play with them and beat them but we'd have to play a near perfect game. They are NOT out of our league. This isn't Pine Tree vs North Shore. I just want John King to get it done no matter what. I don't CARE about what or who's on schedule right now. I WANT THIS GAME DONE - PERIOD. I just am too busy in the oilfield and refineries and quite frankly don't have enough pull to get it done. 

This would automatically be the Game of the Year NATIONWIDE. Since when did we start shying away from the best competition!?? We didn't get to where we are at as a program by scheduling Pine Tree and Hallsville. We got to where we're at by scheduling the Midland Lee's, Evangel's, John Curtis', Abilene's, Allen's and West Monroe's of the world. Guess what? We've beaten all of the aforementioned. We have a definitive chance of making a statement and shutting a lot of people up if John King would get this done somehow. This wouldn't be the first time we've pulled out of a contract for a couple of reasons.

-Sorry for the Short Novel. Y'all know how I am.

Image result for i like your style dude

• LOL! 2

1 hour ago, AKA said:

By the time he's a senior he should be an imposing physical presence in the backfield.
vZTBTHZ.jpg
A young player to watch is linebacker Devean Isaac (5-10 205 Soph.). Yeah, he'll probably spend most of the season on JV, but the kid has a nose for the ball, and loves contact. Really like his motor and his big play potential. I bet he gets varsity reps before the regular season is out. 
fwezsKI.jpg

Crazy to bring up a couple of 2022 athletes like Taylor and Isaac...folks are probably wondering "if they're so good, why was the freshmen team so inconsistent"?

One thing I've always said about that class is that I don't think their inconsistency was a talent issue, more so chemistry issue. Just didn't play well together as freshmen. I've always said they had individual talent though. Taylor is a problem at RB. I've talked about Isaac on the other board...he has a high motor. Also a Judson product.

That class also has a mean OL, 3 in particular: LT/OL Conner Cox (6'1 245), G DeQwaylen Reed (6'1 330) and Jatavian Bush (6'0 290). Don't be surprised if at least one of these players end up starting on the OL this year in the long run. Victor Bush at TE (6'0 180).

There are even a pair of QBs in that class, who do need a little work, but can definitely develop into something. Isaiah Harris (5'11 215) and Rodney Moore (5'11 225). They already have the physical frames as you can see, but if their arms become more consistent, underrated WRs Dekalon Taylor and Quincee Lafeyette will also get more exposure. At this point, I like Moore a little more.

Other than Isaac on defense, you have a pair of two DE's in that class who are honestly pretty good and like Isaac, could've been on varsity if not for DL and LB depth: DE's Jesse Fairchild (6'1 205) and DK Stanford (6'0 200). Also like two in the secondary: S D'marius Hunter (5'10 165) and CB Demetri Wallace (5'10 165).

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, ANTI said:

That class also has a mean OL, 3 in particular: LT/OL Conner Cox (6'1 245), G DeQwaylen Reed (6'1 330) and Jatavian Bush (6'0 290). Don't be surprised if at least one of these players end up starting on the OL this year in the long run. Victor Bush at TE (6'0 180).

Yes to all three, and the younger Cox boy is really starting to impress me. I think he has far more natural talent than his older brother. If he puts in the work, he'll develop into a solid college prospect. 

44 minutes ago, ANTI said:

There are even a pair of QBs in that class, who do need a little work, but can definitely develop into something. Isaiah Harris (5'11 215) and Rodney Moore (5'11 225). They already have the physical frames as you can see

One of them needs to be groomed into a linebacker IMO, but I haven't watched enough of them to know which one at this point. I prefer Harris's mobility over Moore's arm right now but, again, I haven't seen enough to really choose one over the other. 

23 minutes ago, AKA said:

One of them needs to be groomed into a linebacker IMO, but I haven't watched enough of them to know which one at this point. I prefer Harris's mobility over Moore's arm right now but, again, I haven't seen enough to really choose one over the other. 

Well Harris is technically "the QB of the class" and I thought highly of him coming out of Forest Park. His arm wasn't quite as strong as I thought it'd be once he hit HS but as you said, he has the mobility. If his arm develops, watch out. Moore somewhat has the arm which is why I sort of like him a little more right now. If one of them were to move to LB, it'd probably be Moore though. He has history at DE/LB dating back to Judson.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Quick said:

Since when did we start shying away from the best competition!?? We didn't get to where we are at as a program by scheduling Pine Tree and Hallsville. We got to where we're at by scheduling the Midland Lee's, Evangel's, John Curtis', Abilene's, Allen's and West Monroe's of the world. Guess what? We've beaten all of the aforementioned. We have a definitive chance of making a statement and shutting a lot of people up if John King would get this done somehow. This wouldn't be the first time we've pulled out of a contract for a couple of reasons.

1) I don’t think we’re shying away from anyone. We’ve tried and tried and tried to schedule teams but can’t get anyone to lock down.

2) You have to have two teams agree. We might want it, but North Shore has absolutely zero reason to be leaving the Houston area to find competition. They have Katy and Westfield in their schedule and that’s good enough for them. No reason what so ever to come to Nac or Longview or anywhere when they don’t have to drive but 10 miles to face a team that is quality competition.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

2) You have to have two teams agree. We might want it, but North Shore has absolutely zero reason to be leaving the Houston area to find competition. They have Katy and Westfield in their schedule and that’s good enough for them. No reason what so ever to come to Nac or Longview or anywhere when they don’t have to drive but 10 miles to face a team that is quality competition.

And to be blunt, what could North Shore possibly stand to gain? 

There's little chance they beat Longview in an absolute blowout, so how does it benefit North Shore to let some "small town" squad stay on the field with them? Whether it's just for a half or (shudder to think!) if the game goes down to the wire? 

Or even (dare I say it?) what if by some chance Longview manages to win...  you've just put a helluva blemish on your rep, letting some podunk team from B.F.E. take you down a peg. Y'all remember reading "Of Mice and Men" in middle school? About how Curley would go around picking fights with bigger guys?

"S'pose Curley jumps a big guy an' licks him. Ever'body says what a game guy Curley is. And s'pose he does the same thing and gets licked. Then ever'body says the big guy oughtta pick on somebody his own size, and maybe they gang up on the big guy..."

I'm not suggesting North Shore is ducking teams like Longview, but if I was them I wouldn't want any part of the Lobos either. 

• Like 1

I think it’s pretty obvious that King will have the field named after him once we’re done with this era. He deserves it, holding every coaching record you could possibly dream of and more than tripling the second place guy in playoff wins. 

And just to confirm, as Hayden said in his spring wrap up article, no SQT 7 on 7 for Longview this year...including Tyler.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LoboFan07 said:

I think it’s pretty obvious that King will have the field named after him once we’re done with this era. He deserves it, holding every coaching record you could possibly dream of and more than tripling the second place guy in playoff wins. 

And just to confirm, as Hayden said in his spring wrap up article, no SQT 7 on 7 for Longview this year...including Tyler.

No 7on7 why!?

4 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

No 7on7 why!?

Assume that it's because the Elite 11 competition is the same day/weekend as the state tournament in College Station, so Haynes wouldn't be able to be apart of it for sure.

No doubt, maybe they couldn't find a coach either?

2 hours ago, WolverBean said:

No 7on7 why!?

No SQT's, but will still have 7 on 7 league. So the reps will still be plenty.

Think there were a few factors that honestly make sense.

1. Haynes summer weekend schedules with camps and schools is probably hectic, not to mention Elite 11 is same day as state 7 on 7 tourney. No way he could make both and Elite 11 is a little more important.

2. UIL passed a new rule where coaches can get more 1 on 1 sport specific training time with athletes starting this summer. Hayden touched up on it a bit in his article. This is for the entire summer, use to just be for 6 weeks. https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.chron.com/neighborhood/cyfair/sports/amp/NW-Houston-schools-expect-benefits-from-UIL-rule-13348924.php

Reading twitter, I've noticed several teams opting out of 7 on 7 to focus more on this. Lower risk of injury and you can't beat actual coaching time compared to parent 7 on 7 coaching.

• Like 3