🐺 2019 Defending 6A (D-II) State Champion Longview Lobos

LoboFan07

3 hours ago, ANTI said:

Parker Cox 3 year starter at C.

Tovar started at LG the final two games of the season, but suffered injury in spring ball.

So replacing 4. But we reload as usual.

Longview's 2022 class alone has 3 on the OL who will probably play FBS ball.

LT/C Connor Cox 6'1 245 (brother of Parker), G/T JaTavian Bush (6'0 290) and G Deqwaylan Reed (6'1 330).

But yeah, very elite OL Longview had in 2018. 3 of them were 3 year varsity vets, 2 year starters. Another was 2 year starter. Then you had Cox at C who was a returning starter from his sophomore year. Easily the most experienced JK era line ever.

JT always produce Div 1 DBs and Longview always find those guys up front.  Could be some minor growing pains early, but I'm sure they will be fine by district. 

JT is pretty much in same spot as Longview on O-line, with center as the only returning starter. I think they have another lineman with varsity experience, but its going to be a some growing pains early for Cujo. I think there is 6 returning starters on Def and a couple of transfers on def with college offers. The game this yr should be a closer contest...I hope...lol. 

1 hour ago, AKA said:

For real though...  what's the story on that t-shirt? 

64485160-C1AB-4BEC-8460-2907D612A37C.jpeg

Coach King had posted this on Twitter yesterday. Some folks on there said it was from the 1975 Semi-final loss? 

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Coach King had posted this on Twitter yesterday. Some folks on there said it was from the 1975 Semi-final loss? 

Yep.

The photo was taken falling the 10-9 loss to Odessa Permian in the State Semi-Finals out in Lubbock ending the 1975 season, Longview's best since the 1947 team.

Not sure on the story of the shirt overall, someone that was alive during the run would have to comment on that. But the photo is definitely from Tech's Stadium out in Lubbock.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Not sure on the story of the shirt overall, someone that was alive during the run would have to comment on that. But the photo is definitely from Tech's Stadium out in Lubbock.

Would you mind putting out the word on social media, LoboFan?

Ordinarily I'd do it from the district account, but I don't want to offend anyone due to "bad language."     :D 

Real talk: I'd love to know where that shirt came from, who the kid is who's wearing, and what it means. Frankly, I think it's time to bring it back. 

1 hour ago, NODAYSOFFTX said:

Looking good!. Man it would be really cool if y’all had a big wolf standing up inflatable or a rocking L inflatable. But looking good! 

I know right but guess the generic helmet is cheaper.  We country folk 😅

To think we almost lost coach King to Henderson, 

Rewind back to 2006, after King's first two seasons as head coach. He was offered the same position at Henderson High School--and a $30,000 raise.

“For a young football coach,” King said. “$30,000 was like three million.”

The coach tried to explain the situation to his son the best he could on the way to daycare. Father and son were driving by the stadium. Haynes looked over at the stadium and began crying.

“He said ‘I don’t want to go to Henderson. I want to be a Lobo’,” King said. “That was all it took. I called up Coach Collins and told him I staying.”

• Like 2

I remember walking the halls the day that the rumor was out that King was headed to Henderson. I couldn't imagine, at the time, what was going through his head. The pressure to coach at Longview is a lot. We have high expectations every year. We expect to compete every single season.

We simply, do not like to lose. It's not in our culture.

Whether that was something or not, I don't know. He's certainly made up for that $30,000 raise with the salary he's getting now. And, at the end of the day, he did something no one else has been able to do since the 30s. 

We both lucked out at the end of it, thankfully.

What a run it's been. Hopefully will continue for some time yet. Haynes going to A&M I think helps us tbh, with it being not that far of a drive to go see his boy play. 

• Like 2

On 7/22/2019 at 8:58 AM, Stoney said:

And for the record...the way this young man is holding his hand in the air is the correct way during our school song.....js 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/22/2019 at 8:58 AM, Stoney said:

A little history about this pic...

#44 is and was probably one of the most fearless Lobo DB/ST players that has ever graced the field for Longview High !!

That's, the one and only, Johnny Fuller...

Fuller had many big plays from his CB position for the 1975 State Semi-Finalist squad. He also was the Punt Returner and all he did was score on  long runs where the Lobos would set up their vaunted "Wall" blocking assignment. Long time Lobo fans know exactly what I'm talking about...too !

Fuller was probably only about 5'8" 150 lbs. but he was so highly respected by his Longview coaches and teammates that he was named the "1975 Lobo Fighting Heart Award Winner" that's big time at Longview High School.

He was beloved by Lobo Nation, even before that moniker ever existed !

R.J.

• Thanks 2

On 7/26/2019 at 7:10 AM, RandyJohnson said:

A little history about this pic...

#44 is and was probably one of the most fearless Lobo DB/ST players that has ever graced the field for Longview High !!

That's, the one and only, Johnny Fuller...

Fuller had many big plays from his CB position for the 1975 State Semi-Finalist squad. He also was the Punt Returner and all he did was score on  long runs where the Lobos would set up their vaunted "Wall" blocking assignment. Long time Lobo fans know exactly what I'm talking about...too !

Fuller was probably only about 5'7" 150 lbs. but he was so highly respected by his Longview coaches and teammates that he was named the "1975 Lobo Fighting Heart Award Winner" that's big time at Longview High School.

He was beloved by Lobo Nation, even before that moniker ever existed !

Thanks for this history and context RJ, do you happen to know who's wearing the "Lobos are hell" shirt? I really want to track him down...