🐺 2019 Defending 6A (D-II) State Champion Longview Lobos

LoboFan07

1 hour ago, AKA said:

Thanks for this history and context RJ, do you happen to know who's wearing the "Lobos are hell" shirt? I really want to track him down... 

Not without any certainty.

However, I have an idea who would know. 

PM me and I'll send you that person's name...ok ?

R.J.

• Like 1

On 7/26/2019 at 7:10 AM, RandyJohnson said:

A little history about this pic...

#44 is and was probably one of the most fearless Lobo DB/ST players that has ever graced the field for Longview High !!

That's, the one and only, Johnny Fuller...

Fuller had many big plays from his CB position for the 1975 State Semi-Finalist squad. He also was the Punt Returner and all he did was score on  long runs where the Lobos would set up their vaunted "Wall" blocking assignment. Long time Lobo fans know exactly what I'm talking about...too !

Fuller was probably only about 5'8" 150 lbs. but he was so highly respected by his Longview coaches and teammates that he was named the "1975 Lobo Fighting Heart Award Winner" that's big time at Longview High School.

He was beloved by Lobo Nation, even before that moniker ever existed !

R.J.

Good post Randy! To add a bit.....we were ahead 9-3 mid 4th qtr and Fuller returned a punt and tore up his knee. Permian got the ball back and  on the first play, they threw deep to the receiver that Fuller had been covering all night. It was caught and the receiver was tackled at about the 2. On 3rd down they punched it in and kicked the extra point to win 10-9. The picture doesn't show it but Fuller was barely able to stand. The school song was playing when the picture was taken. Fuller went on to play at Kilgore JC. It was rumored that he had been recruited by Arkansas until his knee injury.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Oldetexfan said:

Good post Randy! To add a bit.....we were ahead 9-3 mid 4th qtr and Fuller returned a punt and tore up his knee. Permian got the ball back and  on the first play, they threw deep to the receiver that Fuller had been covering all night. It was caught and the receiver was tackled at about the 2. On 3rd down they punched it in and kicked the extra point to win 10-9. The picture doesn't show it but Fuller was barely able to stand. The school song was playing when the picture was taken. Fuller went on to play at Kilgore JC. It was rumored that he had been recruited by Arkansas until his knee injury.

Oldetexfan...

That's absolutely terrific information...sir ! I was listening to "Red Russell" do the call of that game (I think that was his name) and it was a very tough one to handle as we all had hoped the Lobos would make it to the State Title game.

I remember Mark Bolton, the Lobo kicker missed an extra point earlier in the game. Of course, had the game ended in a tie,  Longview would've more than likely advanced because of penetrations but alas the season ended ! In those days there was no OT AND only one team made the playoffs from each District.

As I recall, Odessa Permian (aka Mojo) faced off against Port Neches-Groves the next week at Texas Stadium for the Championship !  Ahhh...what could've been ?

Hey...if you could tell us whom the other two were pictured with Johnny then that would be awesome... ESPECIALLY the young man in that T-shirt. (LOBOS ARE HELL), that's if you know OR can find out ??

Thanks in advance...

I'll hang up and listen ! 

R. J.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

Oldetexfan...

That's absolutely terrific information...sir ! I was listening to "Red Russell" do the call of that game (I think that was his name) and it was a very tough one to handle that one as we all had hoped the Lobos would make it to the State Title game.

I remember Mark Bolton, the Lobo kicker missed an extra point earlier in the game. Of course, had the game ended in a tie,  Longview would've more than likely advanced because of penetrations but alas the season ended !

As I recall, Odessa Permian (aka Mojo) faced off against Port Neches-Groves the next week at Texas Stadium for the Championship !  Ahhh...what could've been ?

Hey...if you could tell us whom the other two were pictured with Johnny then that would be awesome... ESPECIALLY the young man in that T-shirt. (LOBOS ARE HELL), that's if you know OR can find out ??

Thanks in advance...

R. J.

Randy

Number 32 is Bobby Hunt I believe. At one time I knew who the other guy was but I forgot. I do have a couple of people that may be able to help. And yes it was Red Russell doing the game. He did 2 more seasons after that.

I will reach out to some people and see what I can find out, 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Oldetexfan said:

I was just told that his name was Doug Gibbs. Several people had those shirts. Ken Weitzel said that Hardy Johnson made them at his sporting goods store.

Thank you very much... Oldetexfan !

I do remember Longview Athletic Supply and Mr. Johnson when his store was on Highway 80 near Alpine Road ! He also employed several Lobos of that day in his store.

I know in later years, he located to his final building across from LeTourneau University on South Green Street.

Thanks again & get back with me either here in a PM or from my message on your Facebook timeline ! 

Your assistance is greatly appreciated !!

R.J.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

Oldetexfan...

That's absolutely terrific information...sir ! I was listening to "Red Russell" do the call of that game (I think that was his name) and it was a very tough one to handle as we all had hoped the Lobos would make it to the State Title game.

I remember Mark Bolton, the Lobo kicker missed an extra point earlier in the game. Of course, had the game ended in a tie,  Longview would've more than likely advanced because of penetrations but alas the season ended ! In those days there was no OT AND only one team made the playoffs from each District.

As I recall, Odessa Permian (aka Mojo) faced off against Port Neches-Groves the next week at Texas Stadium for the Championship ! Ahhh...what could've been ?

Thanks in advance...

R. J.

PNG beat Permian 20-10 in the Final.

Longview did have the penetration edge, 2-1. But they managed only 4 first downs all day that game against Mojo. Their defense did a number on Longview. Besides the missed PAT, Longview had 3 turnovers that day. Also had a penalty that negated a pass play that would’ve put the Lobos at the Permian 1 in the 2nd Quarter....that drive ended with zero points.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

Thank you very much... Oldetexfan !

I do remember Longview Athletic Supply and Mr. Johnson when his store was on Highway 80 near Alpine Road ! He also employed several Lobos of that day in his store.

I know in later years, he located to his final building across from LeTourneau University on South Green Street.

Thanks again & get back with me either here in a PM or from my message on your Facebook timeline ! 

Your assistance is greatly appreciated !!

R.J.

Randy

I got your post and will call you later today.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/26/2019 at 1:09 PM, ANTI said:

New turf, new tunnel and sneak peak at new unis

That's a nice photo shoot in downtown Kilgore !

WIll be looking forward to checking out the Longview News -Journal "Zone 2019" football preview in August !

R.J.

• Like 1

As I do when I get bored, I look up records. So decided to see what the largest win totals for a three year span in Lobo history is.

Three year spans with 30 or more wins...
1935-1937: 31 wins
1973-1975: 30 wins
1975-1976: 32 wins
1975-1977: 32 wins
1995-1997: 30 wins
2004-2006: 31 wins
2005-2007: 31 wins
2006-2008: 34 wins
2007-2009: 39 wins
2008-2010: 37 wins
2009-2011: 35 wins
2010-2012: 30 wins
2011-2013: 31 wins
2013-2015: 31 wins
2015-2017: 32 wins
2016-2018: 37 wins

I looked this up because so far for the 2017-2019 three year spans, we're sitting at 29 wins. School records is 39 wins in a three year span so going into 2019, 10 wins will tie and 11 will set the school record for wins in a three year span.

• Like 3

LoboFan07...

That's an interesting historical perspective into Longview Lobo football for sure ! Eighty five years of kicking opposition tail is really unmatched especially as it pertains to other East Texas schools that have been opponents !

Quite frankly, there's no comparison between Longview and everyone else that the Lobos have faced especially in District play for any other long-time period  Really, only Lufkin can be counted as a true "recent" rival and that essentially dates back to the last two decades. In the decades preceeding the 21st century it was John Tyler and to a lesser extent...Marshall, before the '70's & '80's when the Lobos ran off 19 straight wins (1969-1988) before the Dennis Parker "bump in the road era"...but I digress ! 

As usual, your research is unequaled in this category. Good job on this viewpoint !

I'm thinking Longview's all-time win total is somewhere in the middle 720's (726 or thereabouts) and that win percentage has to be upwards of 67%... that's without me looking this up. If you're bored perhaps you can let us know how the Lobos have faired in this way ??

R.J.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, LoboFan07 said:

As I do when I get bored, I look up records. So decided to see what the largest win totals for a three year span in Lobo history is.

Three year spans with 30 or more wins...
1935-1937: 31 wins
1973-1975: 30 wins
1975-1976: 32 wins
1975-1977: 32 wins
1995-1997: 30 wins
2004-2006: 31 wins
2005-2007: 31 wins
2006-2008: 34 wins
2007-2009: 39 wins
2008-2010: 37 wins
2009-2011: 35 wins
2010-2012: 30 wins
2011-2013: 31 wins
2013-2015: 31 wins
2015-2017: 32 wins
2016-2018: 37 wins

I looked this up because so far for the 2017-2019 three year spans, we're sitting at 29 wins. School records is 39 wins in a three year span so going into 2019, 10 wins will tie and 11 will set the school record for wins in a three year span.

11 of the 16 in JK's era. Damn.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

11 of the 16 in JK's era. Damn.

The winning foundation was "LAID" long before he was the Head Coach.

Much to his credit though he "installed" the forward PASS at Longview during his days as the Offensive Coordinator under Pat Collins era and has further improved upon it !

Longview was known as a stout defensive program for years & years really before (ie."Mean Green")

R.J.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RandyJohnson said:

I'm thinking Longview's all-time win total is somewhere in the middle 720's (726 or thereabouts) and that win percentage has to be upwards of 67%... that's without me looking this up. If you're bored perhaps you can let us know how the Lobos have faired in this way ??

R.J.

729-345-52.

65% overall on the winning percentage. 

I had found about 7 or 8 games through my research that weren’t previously recorded. Most were losses, but also found a good amount of losses that ended up being forfeit wins. 

Everything is updated now though, and corrected. :) minus a couple that I haven’t been able to officially, officially confirm.

• Thanks 2

5 minutes ago, RandyJohnson said:

The winning 

foundationwas "LAID" long before he was the Head Coach.

Much to his credit though he "installed" the forward PASS at Longview during the his days as the Offensive Coordinator under Pat Collins era !

R.J.

No doubt the foundation was set before King arrived, but he’s taking it a step forward. More so than any coach in our history. We’ve never experienced winning like this consistently. No doubt we’re a winning program, and should be for quite a while. But King’s journey has taken us to unseen levels of winning that Bero and Cox could only maintain at spurts. 

You don’t see these Longview teams ever struggle with a 1-9 squad, which happened a handful of times during those two coaches runs. 

Foundation was set, but King has taken it to a new level and is by far the greatest coach this program has ever had.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

30 minutes ago, RandyJohnson said:

The winning foundation was "LAID" long before he was the Head Coach.

Yes of course. Longview is top 8 in all time wins for a reason. But as 07 said, we've never experienced winning like this consistently and that's facts. And outside of Talley, all of the Lobo records are held by players JK coached. And lets not forget Vondrell wasnt far off Talley's numbers and that's with him having to share carries with Chris Ivory.

You dont just get that from tradition or laid foundations, you get that because you earned it.

Greatest coach in Lobo history.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

729-345-52.

65% overall on the winning percentage. 

I had found about 7 or 8 games through my research that weren’t previously recorded. Most were losses, but also found a good amount of losses that ended up being forfeit wins. 

Everything is updated now though, and corrected. :) minus a couple that I haven’t been able to officially, officially confirm.

LoboFan07...

Those 729 wins puts Longview inside the State's Top 10 in All-Time Wins of Every Single High School that plays Football in the State of Texas...at #8 !!

Furthermore, the Lobos now Rank #'3 in All-Time Wins of All Current 6A teams that play in the State of Texas !

Only Temple and Plano have more wins currently & they're tired with 766 wins in Texas High School history.

It's only a matter of time, in Longview's current trajectory before the Lobos pass the likes of Plano at the very least !

That's good stuff LoboFan07 and ANTI before we see it done !

R.J.

ps...ANTI, we were constructing our posts at almost the same time...lol !!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

And to think people were calling for King to be fired years back, if got their way 2018 may not happened?

And to think Henderson almost wooed King away...   

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

Just notice King has 40 playoff wins next closes is bero with only 9 yep his the goat no question

King Field at Lobo Stadium has a nice RING to it.  

• Like 2

Mentioned that during the playoff run last year when he hit the four times more than anyone else mark. 

A lot of the older fans always mentioned the four playoff teams as an excuse for that etc but at the end of the day, we’ve had just as many battles with top teams that the 70s and 80s teams dealt with. King has had his faults but finally they got it done. Even if it meant coming from behind in the final half to do it, just as we did in our original title game.

• Like 1