🐺 2019 Defending 6A (D-II) State Champion Longview Lobos

LoboFan07

2 minutes ago, WolverBean said:

So sounds like starting qb battle between Tutt and Grant in the future 

I'd give Grant the edge, due to experience and overall athleticism. Tutt really impressed me last night though. I look forward to both of them continuing to work hard and improve. 

More than this, the defense. Holy #### we got some young hitters coming up. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pack007 said:

So, Lv mostly get their talent from Judson and Foster? Well i mean....the best guys or D1 prospects come from those two schools 

I can't even remember the last time Forest Park had a solid team. I mean there's some talent there, obviously, but more often than not it's those two.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AKA said:

I'd give Grant the edge, due to experience and overall athleticism. Tutt really impressed me last night though. I look forward to both of them continuing to work hard and improve. 

It’s hilarious that we have this problem with major QB talent having been so bad or inconsistent for so long...we had a few sprinkled over the last 30 years but nothing like now

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, kingwolf said:

It’s hilarious that we have this problem with major QB talent having been so bad or inconsistent for so long...we had a few sprinkled over the last 30 years but nothing like now

Part of it is likely due to King showing a commitment to throwing the ball. 

Not too many talented QBs want to come to a program just to hand it off 40 times a game. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, AKA said:

Part of it is likely due to King showing a commitment to throwing the ball. 

Not too many talented QBs want to come to a program just to hand it off 40 times a game. 

Was the missing link we have had everything else. 2015 attempted to throw late in  playoff game and couldn't  when we were running down their throat that final drive

6 hours ago, Pack007 said:

So, Lv mostly get their talent from Judson and Foster? Well i mean....the best guys or D1 prospects come from those two schools 

For the MOST part, yes. Especially QBs. The Haynes King's, Bivins Caraway's, Aaron Johnson's, Dez Chumley's all either went to Judson or Foster. I can't remember the last good Forest Park QB we had. 

But Forest Park still puts out dudes. Mainly athletic skill position players.

Kybo Jackson-Jamerson on our current defense was an Eagle. Kaden Kearbey. Dakirin Buchanan.

Former players like Eric Hawkins, DT Jackson, Ant Wiley, Thomas Jones, Braylynn Anthony, Tylan Miller etc. 

• Thanks 2

6 hours ago, AKA said:

Yes, Foster front 7 in 8th is ridiculous. So is Judson's. And keep in mind the 9th grade has a good defense already. 

I would also give Grant the edge. But Tutt is so damn good yall. You gotta go see him play....makes throws on the run you don't typically see from a middle schooler. I also don't talk about him much but Campbell Williams at Foster...its a shame he had to come up in the Tutt/Grant era. Tall QB who is a great baseball player.

You know what's crazy? Grant's dad had similar situation back on those 2003 and 2004 teams. Quincy Grant was starter, but we had a backup those years that would have started at most places by the name of Carlin Freeman. Freeman did get to start alot of 2003 as sophomore and 2004 as JR because of Grant's knee issues. I was thinking about that earlier today. 

Btw, gotta post pone that small write up on upcoming talent. May still get it out late tonight or tomorrow. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ANTI said:

You know what's crazy? Grant's dad had similar situation back on those 2003 and 2004 teams. Quincy Grant was starter, but we had a backup those years that would have started at most places by the name of Carlin Freeman. Freeman did get to start alot of 2003 as sophomore and 2004 as JR because of Grant's knee issues. I was thinking about that earlier today. 

I felt for Quincy, he just couldn't stay healthy.

But you're right. Carlin took the reins with two games to play against Lee in 2003. Lee was ranked 4th in the state that week. But they made the plays, and the defense came up big on the final play to win it, 22-21. Granted, he got shut out the next week vs Lp, and then of course the original bi-district loss to South Garland where neither team could do much. That would've been a big game to have had Malcolm Kelly playing, but believe he was out due to grades. We had a lot of injury issues that season.

Quincy got 2.5 games into that 04 season before he re-injured himself vs Lake Highlands. 

Would've be interesting to see how King managed Quincy and Carlin through out the year if he had stayed healthy.

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, ANTI said:

Yes, Foster front 7 in 8th is ridiculous. So is Judson's. And keep in mind the 9th grade has a good defense already. 

Since we have all the time in the world this week, and because you saw them against Rockwall, what was the big issue against the Jackets' 9th grade squad? Was it the short fields or is Rockwall's offense that solid?

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, LoboFan07 said:

Since we have all the time in the world this week, and because you saw them against Rockwall, what was the big issue against the Jackets' 9th grade squad? Was it the short fields or is Rockwall's offense that solid?

Short fields mainly. But, will say they struggled a bit stopping the run. 

I like the DL and secondary in that group. LB's...eh. But the LB's in 8th are solid.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, ANTI said:

Short fields mainly. But, will say they struggled a bit stopping the run. 

I like the DL and secondary in that group. LB's...eh. But the LB's in 8th are solid.

That was the problem against Lufkin. They couldn’t stop us on the edge running the ball. Bad playcalling and us trying to throw so much (plus very good lobo defense too) was the reason we didn’t score. Running backs for Lufkin when they got it, played well though..

But lobos do have a good size dline on the 9th grade team and then you add in a tall safety. He didn’t make many tackles, but you couldn’t throw at all his way. Good group for both schools coming up imo, especially defensively..

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...