Former Baylor DE found not guilty

MrBuddyGarrity

Former Baylor DE Shawn Oakman found not guilty in sexual assault trial https://t.co/sISRr6gEqy

Ex-Baylor LB Shawn Oakman Found Not Guilty of Rape; Details on Deleted Text Messages Recovered From Accuser & Witnesses Contradicting Her Story That Led to His Acquittal (Pics-Vids) https://t.co/2usLfk2HYT https://t.co/vs5FEWBgL7

I actually have a lot of Baylor friends who knew the girl and Oakman. They told me that she voluntarily went home with him because they had been "talking" (aka dating). I'm not surprised by this. She didn't tell the whole truth.

As far as the other cases, it might be a different story. But when I heard this story this morning I wasn't shocked at all. It's very similar to the Rodney Anderson case. 

Gotta admit, I haven't been following the Baylor stuff too close, but can someone help me out with something... 

What exactly has been proven to be true, with regard to allegations against Baylor players/coaches? 

How many players/coaches have actually been fired and/or had charges filed against them?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

Couldn't he come back and accuse her of defamation?

I hope he can, but it wont be anywhere near the amount of money he would've gotten in the NFL, I really hope he gets a shot at least in the AAF. This guy has missed out on millions of dollars IMO. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, MrBuddyGarrity said:

I hope he can, but it wont be anywhere near the amount of money he would've gotten in the NFL, I really hope he gets a shot at least in the AAF. This guy has missed out on millions of dollars IMO. 

That's why I think there should be consequences for false accusers. His character has been challenged and his reputation has completely taken a step back.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

thing is, not only has he missed out on the 2 plus years of hundreds of thousands if not millions of dollars in the NFL, but he just had to pay and will be paying a lawyer about a hundred thousand for this legal defense probably.

and as far as I know, two players...the orininal two are the only ones to be convicted of anything from Baylor football...everything else was just accusation and university bandwagon lawsuits because it's harder at this point to convict or turn something back on an victim/accuser/wrongful accuser/ex-girlfriend/fan/stalker whatever many of these people are/were. that was a harsh comment, but I too get tired of the guy losing a career over these things and later just a "oh, our bad", when that doesn't fix anything. this young man will not make it back to the NFL, he's a "rapist" forever in the Waco community and around the US, and in the NFL world...because as we know, the accusation is on the front page in BOLD and the exhoneration or not guilty verdict will be on the back page in 1 inch by 1 inch square, in the bottom corner.

This is exactly what I was talking about. The Baylor mess has blown way out of proportion. There has never been a rape problem at Baylor. There is a problem of society believing women when they have learned they can get away with this type of accusation without any evidence or facts or consequences for lying. 

Everyone that jumped on the let’s hate these young men, art briles, and Baylor bandwagon are just as much of the problem as the women who accuse them. Let the law do their job and quit assuming women are telling the truth. Because it doesn’t take a rocket scientist to see that the majority of these cases are women fabricating it. Especially in a college atmosphere where alcohol/drugs run amuck and immature behavior is the norm. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, topher805 said:

Does this vindicate Art Briles at all?

I think it should. Baylor has now became a massive witch-hunt for the most part that ruined the careers of one of college footballs better coaches, as well as derailed a Baylor program that was on the rise into becoming a serious perennial contender in the big 12. Not to mention all the players hurt by this, the accused and the ones just caught in the crossfire due to sanctions and the cleaning house of the staff/team. 

7 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

So you guys are saying he just took advantage of a drunk girl?  Hopefully you guys aren’t okay with that...

Hopefully you understand that when people go to parties, often both sides are drunk and do things. Your argument is the absolute weakest argument I’ve ever heard when it comes to this debate. It is such a foolish double standard to think it’s okay for a girl to sleep with a guy and then claim “oh I didn’t mean to I was drunk” a few days later simply because she isn’t happy with the outcome. There needs to be much stricter distinctions between forceably taking someone sexually, and irresponsible college girl getting her feelings hurt and being able to ruin a young mans life with a complete bs claim...

• Like 3

10 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Couldn't he come back and accuse her of defamation?

Super hard to prove. She "can" still sue him and the university in a civil matter if she chooses. Has 2 years from the charged date.

But I'm with Wet on what he said in his last post. If a guy rapes a girl/woman he should be thrown under the jail. But there's too much of this #metoo movement going on on consensual stuff IMO.

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Hopefully you understand that when people go to parties, often both sides are drunk and do things. Your argument is the absolute weakest argument I’ve ever heard when it comes to this debate. It is such a foolish double standard to think it’s okay for a girl to sleep with a guy and then claim “oh I didn’t mean to I was drunk” a few days later simply because she isn’t happy with the outcome. There needs to be much stricter distinctions between forceably taking someone sexually, and irresponsible college girl getting her feelings hurt and being able to ruin a young mans life with a complete bs claim...

Yes I understand that, but a girl being drunk isn’t an invitation to have sex with her.

the problem with your story was she was at the hospital hours after the incident..... not days later.

if a young man doesn’t want his life ruined, don’t allow yourself to be in situations like Oakman put himself in.  In a room alone with a drunk girl.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Yes I understand that, but a girl being drunk isn’t an invitation to have sex with her.

the problem with your story was she was at the hospital hours after the incident..... not days later.

if a young man doesn’t want his life ruined, don’t allow yourself to be in situations like Oakman put himself in.  In a room alone with a drunk girl.

Now we are getting into a debate over levels of tolerance. Do young men need to start doing breathalyzers on women to make sure they are under the legal limit before sleeping with them?

there isn’t any proof that this was anything more than a girl under her own free will leaving a party with a young man and things happened then she left. There is no evidence that supports she was “too drunk” to make a conscious decision. How can anyone determine that before having relations? I’m not talking about a guy sleeping with a drunk and unconscious girl. I see what you’re saying with that. But that is not remotely close to what this was. So at what point do we start putting even the tiniest bit of responsibility on the girl? Like I said, do men need to start having consent forms filled out and witnessed by a third party signature, while also doing a breathalyzer and background check to confirm age while we are at it? Would that please you? 

18 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Now we are getting into a debate over levels of tolerance. Do young men need to start doing breathalyzers on women to make sure they are under the legal limit before sleeping with them?

there isn’t any proof that this was anything more than a girl under her own free will leaving a party with a young man and things happened then she left. There is no evidence that supports she was “too drunk” to make a conscious decision. How can anyone determine that before having relations? I’m not talking about a guy sleeping with a drunk and unconscious girl. I see what you’re saying with that. But that is not remotely close to what this was. So at what point do we start putting even the tiniest bit of responsibility on the girl? Like I said, do men need to start having consent forms filled out and witnessed by a third party signature, while also doing a breathalyzer and background check to confirm age while we are at it? Would that please you? 

How do you determine it before you have relations???  Think with your smart head, not the dumb one

{{{first prosecution witness, Waco police Officer Danny Pilgrim, testified that he was the first officer to arrive at Providence Health Center in response to the report of a sexual assault.

“I found the victim, her friends and a nurse in the family room. She was upset, red-faced, crying and visibly shaking,” Pilgrim said.}}}

she was upset she had consensual sex???  

Db you clearly want this to be a rape. A jury of 12 people who know infinitely more details about the case than you do, found him innocent of all of charges. I know that’s not enough for you because you just love the chance to hate on Baylor or anything not Texas for that matter, but if a jury found him innocent after reviewing all the details, I trust that more than your opinion over what might have happened. Sorry. 

• Like 1

I just feel like had this situation happened at Texas and this was someone like Malik jefferson, you would be acting completely different about the situation. But because it’s baylor, you actually WANT this to be true. You want it to be a true rape so bad you are discrediting a completely unbiased jury’s decision. And this decision wasn’t made lightly. When it comes to sexual cases or abuse cases involving a mans word vs a woman’s, it is weighted heavily in the favor of the women in the eyes of public opinion and the prosecution. If they convinced 12 people that he didn’t rape this girl, it must have been extremely compelling evidence. 

But by all means, continue to be upset that the truth came out and a young women in fact wasn’t raped. 

6 hours ago, WETSU said:

I just feel like had this situation happened at Texas and this was someone like Malik jefferson, you would be acting completely different about the situation. But because it’s baylor, you actually WANT this to be true. You want it to be a true rape so bad you are discrediting a completely unbiased jury’s decision. And this decision wasn’t made lightly. When it comes to sexual cases or abuse cases involving a mans word vs a woman’s, it is weighted heavily in the favor of the women in the eyes of public opinion and the prosecution. If they convinced 12 people that he didn’t rape this girl, it must have been extremely compelling evidence. 

But by all means, continue to be upset that the truth came out and a young women in fact wasn’t raped. 

Longhorn fan here.......I root against the Aggies 95+% of the time........But I believe you are pretty much spot on regarding this incident and this thread. 

7 hours ago, WETSU said:

Db you clearly want this to be a rape. A jury of 12 people who know infinitely more details about the case than you do, found him innocent of all of charges. I know that’s not enough for you because you just love the chance to hate on Baylor or anything not Texas for that matter, but if a jury found him innocent after reviewing all the details, I trust that more than your opinion over what might have happened. Sorry. 

It smells to foul to be innocent.  That’s all.  The girl was in the hospital hours after it occurred.  That doesn’t spell remorse to me.  Bruising (photos of the proof)  on back of her neck is consistent with her story.  

Heres my thoughts.  I have a daughter.  My job is to teach her to net get herself in a situation where she’s not comfortable, where somebody can take advantage of her, where her consent can be called into question by a boy, friends or even a jury.  I have a son.  My job is to teach him to respect women and their innocence, what “being a man” really means, and to not get himself in a situation where fingers can be pointed at him in situations like this.  Sounds to me like neither Oakman or this girl got those lessons.  

I do think the girl ultimately told Oakman no.  The pics and examiner showed it to be an assault.  Lawyers have ways of twisting the truth.  I also feel there may have been bias in the jury if they were all from Waco.  The whole situation stinks too much

theres never been a jury to get it wrong before?

• Like 1