If you had a choice to move the State basketball tournament

mrballin936

• Coach Rab changed the title to If you had a choice to move the State basketball tournament

San Antonio is a basketball town..... clearly by the fact of the spurs and the number of NCAA tourneys that have been there.

BUT.... the Alamodome makes absolutely no sense.

Put the basketball tourney on a rotation of 

ATT Center- San Antonio
Toyota Center- Houston
AAC- Dallas

Austin was a great site the one time I attended....but SXSW isn't going anywhere...and neither is the tourney... so their co-habitation doesn't seem likely.

Seems like all three NBA teams would love to lock up the tourney once every three years..... JMHO though.

• Like 1

I think we are close to seeing the boys and girls tournaments being at different venues. Wouldn't surprise me to see the girls head to one of the "smaller" venues in DFW (Dr. Pepper Arena or the new Dickies Arena in Fort Worth). If that happens, the boys has a better chance of getting in an NBA arena. Hard for an NBA team to justify giving up back to back 3 day weekends which could equate to 4 home games. 

15 hours ago, Mavchamp said:

San Antonio is a basketball town..... clearly by the fact of the spurs and the number of NCAA tourneys that have been there.

BUT.... the Alamodome makes absolutely no sense.

Put the basketball tourney on a rotation of 

ATT Center- San Antonio
Toyota Center- Houston
AAC- Dallas

Austin was a great site the one time I attended....but SXSW isn't going anywhere...and neither is the tourney... so their co-habitation doesn't seem likely.

Seems like all three NBA teams would love to lock up the tourney once every three years..... JMHO though.

Alamodome is only option for State Tournament in San Antonio. The San Antonio Rodeo takes up most of the month of February (It was the 6th through the 23rd this year), putting the Spurs on the road for the month. That means the Spurs spend a little extra time at home when they return, basically shutting down AT&T to outsiders.

I loved it in Austin, but SXSW has become too big of an event. It really leaves just a rotation of SA/Houston/Dallas as the only other option. The Ferrell Center in Waco is too small. Reed Arena in CS might be able to hold everyone for the boys tournament, but not sure if there is enough hotel availability for everyone that attends. 

Can''t move it back to Austin because of SXSW and the hotel situation is awful.

UIL will most likely never give Houston a championship ever again because of what Houston did the last time they hosted a state championship.

San Antonio is perfect other than the fact its a poor place to watch a game. Everything else is great.

The best option would be for the girls to waive Title IX and either have their tournament at UTA or Baylor and the guys go to American Airlines. Only issue is the UIL does not want to host the state tournaments at 2 different venues. 

It is more than let's pick a gym in the middle of Texas. There is a lot that goes on in the decision they make. 

2 hours ago, topher805 said:

Alamodome is only option for State Tournament in San Antonio. The San Antonio Rodeo takes up most of the month of February (It was the 6th through the 23rd this year), putting the Spurs on the road for the month. That means the Spurs spend a little extra time at home when they return, basically shutting down AT&T to outsiders.

I loved it in Austin, but SXSW has become too big of an event. It really leaves just a rotation of SA/Houston/Dallas as the only other option. The Ferrell Center in Waco is too small. Reed Arena in CS might be able to hold everyone for the boys tournament, but not sure if there is enough hotel availability for everyone that attends. 

College station would have plenty enough hotel availability... Franklin hold baseball tournaments at the ranch sometimes 60+ teams in one weekend... We have even held a 110 team tournament... Bryan college station has been building hotels left and right since we've opened the park

30 minutes ago, lionpride08 said:

College station would have plenty enough hotel availability... Franklin hold baseball tournaments at the ranch sometimes 60+ teams in one weekend... We have even held a 110 team tournament... Bryan college station has been building hotels left and right since we've opened the park

If CS can hold the crowd, then I have absolutely no problem with it being there. Pretty central still, and the arena isn't bad. It is smaller than the Erwin Center by about 4-5,000 seats, but I think it would be big enough for 6A. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, DevelopQB said:

Dallas or Houston would be great.   

Yeah, for East Texas folks. But it wouldn't be any different than the football state championship games.

Austin would probably be better for everyone. 

I think they like it being in San Antonio...Alamodome isn't perfect but I dont think the Mavericks or Rockets are super fired up about giving up back to back weekend home dates...no chance on AT&T Center with the Spurs and their February rodeo trip....

It's either gonna stay at the Alamodome or it moves to Dickies I think...and I think the UIL won't want to move their two biggest championship events to DFW... so my guess it stays...

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...