My Sin is Ever Before Me

RETIREDFAN1

My Sin Is Always Before Me

By: Jim Crews

God is Holy, but we always fall short. Sin is not a part of the nature of God.

I John 1: 5

In order to be in fellowship with God, we must also be without sin.

I John 1: 6 - 7

Notice, though, that God is not expecting perfection from us. He makes a provision for us when we sin that can cleanse us from that sin. He doesn’t expect perfection. He does expect us to walk in righteousness.

Sin is going to happen.

I John 1: 8 - 10

We have to be honest with ourselves and admit that we fail constantly. We are far from perfect. We also have to admit before God that we sin. Only by acknowledging that we are not holy can we be welcomed back.

Now this doesn’t give us an excuse to sin.

Romans 6: 1 - 2

I John 2: 1 - 6

John is encouraging us to avoid sin, but he also lets us know that when we do sin, it is not the end. We still have hope. Jesus paid for our sins and is our advocate before God. However, if we are going to make the claim that we know God, we must strive to keep His commandments.

Ezra was upset by the sins of his countrymen. Israel was sent into captivity because of their sins.

Ezra 9: 7

Most of their sins revolved around their worship of idols.

II Kings 17: 7 - 23

So what had the Israelites done as soon as they returned from captivity? They had married into families of idolaters.

Ezra 9: 10 - 14

This was too much to face.

Ezra 9: 6

However, this time, the Israelites along with Ezra agreed that they were wrong.

Ezra 10: 1 - 3

What was the answer to their sin? Be courageous and act.

Ezra 10: 4

David was a king who sincerely loved God. He committed adultery and tried to cover it up with murder. David pleaded with God to cleanse him, but he was continually haunted by what he had done.

Psalm 51: 1 - 3

Satan plays on our guilt. He chains us down until we want to give up. We can’t face our friends. We can’t face our family. We can’t face our loved ones at church. We can’t even face ourselves.

We judge ourselves harsher than anyone else, including God, and we declare that we aren’t worthy. David asked for both a clean heart and a renewed steadfast spirit.

Psalm 51: 10

He needed both forgiveness and confidence to go forward.

Psalm 51: 12

Only then would he be able to act. Then he could teach others.

Psalms 51: 13

Not only would David be restored, but he saw then that all sinners can change.

Behind all of this is the fact that guilt holds us back because we are afraid.

Have you ever wondered why, among all the deep and dark sins that God listed, that the cowardly are named first?

Revelation 21: 8

Cowardice sends more people to hell than any other sin. Cowardice keeps us from acting.

Joshua 1: 6 - 9

God, your family, your friends, your fellow Christians all love you.

Peter said love will cover a multitude of sins.

I Peter 4: 8

That covering is not hiding your sins while you remain in them. It is a complete burial of the past when you repent, so you can move forward.

Philippians 3: 12 - 14

Our shovels should be read to bury the past when any sinner comes back to us. God forgives. He expects us to be just as forgiving.