College Admissions Cheating Scam

FBI special agent says 300 FBI, IRS agents participated in arrests in alleged college cheating scam, named "Operation Varsity Blues"; 38 individuals have been taken into custody so far. https://t.co/eg24f7pl1z https://t.co/iL4lZ6t5CC

This is a wild story here. Updates to this should be coming after the presser. Some coaches were involved. 

*EDIT: The massive college admissions scandal has a direct IMG Academy link https://t.co/ZtUfvZPW15 via @usatodayhss

Edited by MrBuddyGarrity
Added link

I keep hearing about the celebrities involved with Lori Laughlin and Felicity Huffman.  What I would like to know is the kids grades at these schools.  I read one of Lori's daughters is already making a career outside of college.  I can't really say this is a big deal though if they have the grades, but I've read most of the money went to one individual who paid SAT/ACT monitors to give them great scores.  Growing up I know two individuals that I went to school with that were kicked out after the first semester for poor G.P.A.'s. One of them was a very good friend of mine that I knew was extremely smart.  They simply got out from underneath their parents watchful eye, and decided to party all of the time instead of study.  If they're on the Deans List, then I don't really have a problem with it.  This could be just as bad as letting in kids with poor grades that are on the cutting edge simply based on race or if they're illegal.  Set a bar for performance, and oust those that can't handle the curriculum regardless of who they are.  This was wrong in my opinion, but we'll see how the case against Harvard turns out.  https://www.nytimes.com/2018/08/30/us/politics/asian-students-affirmative-action-harvard.html .  In this thread I do see that all students should be treated equally based on race, but if they can't handle their college courses, expel them.  

All the coaches and athletic administrators named & arrested so far are - with amount they took, reported

Michael Center - (University of Texas) Head Men's Tennis Coach ($100,000)

Gordon Ernst - (Georgetown, now at Rhode Island) Head Men's & Women's Tennis Coach ($2.7 million)

William Ferguson - (Wake Forest) Head Coach Women's Volleyball ($100,000)

Donna Heinel - (USC) Sr. Assoc Athletic Director ($1.3 million)

Laura Janke - (USC) Assistant Coach Women's Soccer (looks like $175,000)

Ali Khosroshahin - (USC) Head Coach Women's Soccer (looks like $175,000)

Jovan Vavic - (USC) Head Coach Water Polo ($250,000)

Rudolph Meredith - (Yale) Head Coach Women's Soccer ($400,000)

Jorge Salcedo - (UCLA) Head Coach Men's Soccer ($200,000)

John Vandemoer - (Stanford) Head Coach Sailing ($770,000)

~ What's worse on some of these...I have known Center for many years (15, good guy) and his salary was $232,000/year. I imagine some of these coaches took less than a years pay and and will now go to jail, never coach again, pay out legal fees/fines, and cause their families financial problems potentially...permanently.  

• Like 1

I heard the Mossimo/Laughlin girls withdrew from college today.  I would still like to see their scores to see how well they were doing.  I think this happens more often than we think, at even a higher level.  I will say up to and including Senators, Representative in both D.C. and the States representation as well to use influence for young men and women to enter the Service Academies.  While that is rich privilege, it's not white privilege only.  

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Let me tell you, the LAST thing my parents would do is pay hundreds of thousands of dollars for me to go to school. Lol!!

I think that's the rest of us as well.  Heck, I didn't even go, but I sure wanted to.  I don't see why the one daughter was attending, because of her makeup line.  Now they've shut down the production of it.  She would have been better off without the scandal.  Now all she has is YouTube followers, and I'm sure some of them have stopped watching.  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lori-loughlin-daughter-olivia-jade-giannulli-sephora-boycott_l_5c8a6034e4b0450ddae80616

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Stoney said:

@DaveTV1 I would guess Aunt Becky’s kids weren’t high GPA students since they couldn’t figure out how to fill out the college applications instead choosing to pay extra for that little perk.

That's why I would like to see their transcripts.  I heard Joe Montana was mixed up in this too, but on a lower level.  My gut feeling is they didn't know anything about this, and their parents did it on their own.  https://sports.yahoo.com/joe-montana-denies-any-illegal-behavior-after-being-linked-to-college-admissions-scandal-012210561.html  .  His two sons were busts as college quarterbacks in the late 2000's and early 2011's.  Nate kept getting busted for underage drinking at Notre Dame and DUI at Montana.  It makes me wonder if it was for his two youngest daughters, because the article doesn't mention it.  

7 hours ago, DTrump said:

I seen a meme that said "they need to revert back to getting their kids in the old fashion way. You know, like on Forrest Gump". 😂😂😂

“Your mama sure does care about your schoolin’ son.”

• LOL! 2

On 3/15/2019 at 6:56 PM, DaveTV1 said:

I think that's the rest of us as well.  Heck, I didn't even go, but I sure wanted to.  I don't see why the one daughter was attending, because of her makeup line.  Now they've shut down the production of it.  She would have been better off without the scandal.  Now all she has is YouTube followers, and I'm sure some of them have stopped watching.  https://www.huffpost.com/entry/lori-loughlin-daughter-olivia-jade-giannulli-sephora-boycott_l_5c8a6034e4b0450ddae80616

She already makes millions off of YouTube and sponsors. Young people these days can make a lot of $$ off of YouTube, especially when your pre-famous like she was. Just gives the young person a launching pad in to the industry. She didn't need to attend college.

I don't pay for my college son's school (only food, etc) because of my experience of when I succeeded it was when I started taking care of my own "college way". 

My final year of HS I made terrible decisions and everything started crashing & burning (my world view). The athletic scholarship I had "went away" and I ended up at a university I didn't want to be at on my parent's dime because I was supposed to go to school, of course. I didn't know how to study or have any drive really...had never "had to". Those first couple years were nothing but horrendous. A waste of thousands of my parents $$ and really went a long ways to making me feel dumber than I had ever felt...you know, I had always felt I could flip the switch and pass anytime and all of a sudden it wasn't that way (as I said, I didn't know how to take good notes or study...listen well). I took a year off. I went back and still struggled but ground out a associates and didn't feel I was worth a hoot...was broken from everything that had happened (in my mind). Got married, went to work, had a kid, freaked out that this was not "my life" and went back to school on my dime with focus, fear, and intention finally. I blew through with 3.8 while working 2 & 3 jobs - I was blessed with fairly good jobs but still. The Lord did open an amazing opportunity there at the end that I never should have been able to get (college coaching) and that was always what I had dreamed of as a kid watching my dad coach. I looked back and realized that I just was being "groomed in a different way". 

• Like 6

50 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I don't pay for my college son's school (only food, etc) because of my experience of when I succeeded it was when I started taking care of my own "college way". 

My final year of HS I made terrible decisions and everything started crashing & burning (my world view). The athletic scholarship I had "went away" and I ended up at a university I didn't want to be at on my parent's dime because I was supposed to go to school, of course. I didn't know how to study or have any drive really...had never "had to". Those first couple years were nothing but horrendous. A waste of thousands of my parents $$ and really went a long ways to making me feel dumber than I had ever felt...you know, I had always felt I could flip the switch and pass anytime and all of a sudden it wasn't that way (as I said, I didn't know how to take good notes or study...listen well). I took a year off. I went back and still struggled but ground out a associates and didn't feel I was worth a hoot...was broken from everything that had happened (in my mind). Got married, went to work, had a kid, freaked out that this was not "my life" and went back to school on my dime with focus, fear, and intention finally. I blew through with 3.8 while working 2 & 3 jobs - I was blessed with fairly good jobs but still. The Lord did open an amazing opportunity there at the end that I never should have been able to get (college coaching) and that was always what I had dreamed of as a kid watching my dad coach. I looked back and realized that I just was being "groomed in a different way". 

Great testimony friend👏 Not everyone has the same path, but everything happens for a reason.

3 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Similar story for me.  It was hard to focus in college until I had to make it work... I could go off on this subject but I’ll just leave it that simple 

• Like 2

10 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

She already makes millions off of YouTube and sponsors. Young people these days can make a lot of $$ off of YouTube, especially when your pre-famous like she was. Just gives the young person a launching pad in to the industry. She didn't need to attend college.

I'd really like to know how much she makes from YouTube, because I know of several artists who complain about them paying pennies.  These aren't average bands either, but big name bands that have a huge following still.  One of them is going into the RRHOF this year.  I can see maybe the Sephora or whatever it is, but they just pulled the plug on that as I mentioned.  

14 hours ago, DaveTV1 said:

I'd really like to know how much she makes from YouTube, because I know of several artists who complain about them paying pennies.  These aren't average bands either, but big name bands that have a huge following still.  One of them is going into the RRHOF this year.  I can see maybe the Sephora or whatever it is, but they just pulled the plug on that as I mentioned.  

I just looked it up and her net worth is about $500,000. For 18 years old, that's a lot of money. I'm not sure how much of that comes from YouTube, but I think there's "YouTubers" who make millions from doing that as a profession.