NBA Players from East Texas

JTFAN99

East TX is known for the amount of NFL players it produces, but how many NBA players have come from East TX?  Off the top of my head, I can only think of 3. 

David Wesley (Longview High), Damion James (Nacogdoches High), Wesley Johnson (Corsicana)..If you count Corsicana as East TX.  John Tyler has had a few guys play on summer league NBA teams and in the NBA D-league. 

I know this may belong on the NBA forum..but I figured I could get more answers on this forum. 

While not necessarily "from" East Texas, there have been several NBA (and also D-League) players who have come through the ranks of places like Tyler Junior College!  Look at the following who played ball in Wagstaff:

David Benoit (Utah Jazz)

Trey Gilder (Memphis Grizzlies)

Sam Mack (Miami Heat)

Robert Pack (Denver Nuggets)

and of course,

Jimmy Butler (Chicago Bulls, Minnesota Timberwolves, and now Philadelphia 76ers

Ifeanyi Koggu (Played for the Washington Generals - the team that plays the Globetrotters) is from Tyler Lee!

Also, NUMEROUS others playing in D-League and Pro-ball in other countries all over the world.

2 hours ago, Greezychef said:

Teresa Weatherspoon 

WNBA

One of the greatest female basketball players to ever play the game. 

Pineland Texas.

And a class act all the way. Did she get into coaching? Would have made a great coach at any level. 

it's too bad that it took so long for the WNBA to get going...there really have been some amazing HS GIRLS basketball royalty...players from all over East Texas...I personally can just think of a tons from great teams from:

Spring Hill (Bonnie Moore, Linda Clark, Dianne Johnson

Longview (Angela Lawson)

Quitman (Jennifer Clark, Ashlea Atwood

Harmony

Gilmer (Sheri Yocum, Sheron Yocum, Stacy Smith, Terail Walker

Winnsboro (Stacy Stevens, Sara Hinkley, Sarah Mitchell, Amanda Kellar)

Avinger (Sherea Mathis, Renee Dunn

Canton (Christi Cox, Kellie Fitzgerald

Tatum (Kathy Norris, Chandra Shaw)

Karnack (Crystal Allen)

obviously this is just a small sampling of the superstars and HS heroes that many of the schools had...many good memories/achievements. feel free to add more to the list for schools or add some other schools...could even add some great highlight game memories for some these players or others. 

16 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

it's too bad that it took so long for the WNBA to get going...there really have been some amazing HS GIRLS basketball royalty...players from all over East Texas...I personally can just think of a tons from great teams from:

Spring Hill (Bonnie Moore, Linda Clark, Dianne Johnson

Longview (Angela Lawson)

Quitman (Jennifer Clark, Ashlea Atwood

Harmony

Gilmer (Sheri Yocum, Sheron Yocum, Stacy Smith, Terail Walker

Winnsboro (Stacy Stevens, Sara Hinkley, Sarah Mitchell, Amanda Kellar)

Avinger (Sherea Mathis, Renee Dunn

Canton (Christi Cox, Kellie Fitzgerald

Tatum (Kathy Norris, Chandra Shaw)

Karnack (Crystal Allen)

obviously this is just a small sampling of the superstars and HS heroes that many of the schools had...many good memories/achievements. feel free to add more to the list for schools or add some other schools...could even add some great highlight game memories for some these players or others. 

A'Quonesia Franklin from John Tyler also played in the WNBA

On 3/23/2019 at 7:53 PM, DieHardCubFan said:

While not necessarily "from" East Texas, there have been several NBA (and also D-League) players who have come through the ranks of places like Tyler Junior College!  Look at the following who played ball in Wagstaff:

David Benoit (Utah Jazz)

Trey Gilder (Memphis Grizzlies)

Sam Mack (Miami Heat)

Robert Pack (Denver Nuggets)

and of course,

Jimmy Butler (Chicago Bulls, Minnesota Timberwolves, and now Philadelphia 76ers

Ifeanyi Koggu (Played for the Washington Generals - the team that plays the Globetrotters) is from Tyler Lee!

Also, NUMEROUS others playing in D-League and Pro-ball in other countries all over the world.

Carl Herreha played at Jacksonville JC.

• 2 weeks later...

John Beasley from Linden-Kildare was a member of the 1960 State Champion LK Tigers, a 1st Team All-American and Two Time Southwest Conference Player of Year at Texas A&M, and a 3 time ABA All-Star and MVP of the 1969 ABA All-Star Game.

Had no idea Coach Sheri and Sheron played professional ball? Their mom was my 4th grade teacher, their sister was our 8th grade computer lab teacher, their dad was our junior principal and they both wound up coaching/teaching at Harmony.