⚾️ Rangers 2019 Thread ⚾️

This past weekends series goes to show just how far Texas has to go to catch up with Houston in the long term. Houston starting pitching did a great job navigating the Texas lineup. I think you can finally start to see the lack of pitching production starting to have an effect on the offense. Offense feels like they've got to jump out to an early lead to help their pitchers get comfortable, so they seem to be pressing just a bit. And a great team like Houston feasts on that approach. Houston lineup was able to produce some runs to let their starters settle in and just go to work.

The Rangers just keep hanging around. Look like the season is about to fall apart in Houston, and they follow that up by winning 2 series in a row. I don't think Daniels and company will blow the plan up by any means, BUT you have to wonder if there are discussions about what another good front-line starter would do for this team.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, TxFight said:

The Rangers just keep hanging around. Look like the season is about to fall apart in Houston, and they follow that up by winning 2 series in a row. I don't think Daniels and company will blow the plan up by any means, BUT you have to wonder if there are discussions about what another good front-line starter would do for this team.

I agree. I hope they at least try to get 1-2 quality-starts type pitchers. Dont have to blow everything up or break the bank or farm system to get 1 stud, name-famous pitcher. Get 1-2 guys (or more) that can come in and CONSISTENTLY give you 6 quality innings. Then build on that with everything else they have on hand. 

But, I understand that's easier said than done. 

15 hours ago, TTman7 said:

I agree. I hope they at least try to get 1-2 quality-starts type pitchers. Dont have to blow everything up or break the bank or farm system to get 1 stud, name-famous pitcher. Get 1-2 guys (or more) that can come in and CONSISTENTLY give you 6 quality innings. Then build on that with everything else they have on hand. 

But, I understand that's easier said than done. 

I really think what we'll see happen is they make a move at a team who is completely out of the race (Orioles, Royals, Tigers, Marlins, Blue Jays) and try to poach one of their starters who still has some team control beyond this year. Maybe someone like Bundy from the Orioles, Matt Boyd or Daniel Norris from the Tigers, or a big reach on Stroman or Sanchez from the Jays. 

On 5/21/2019 at 2:40 PM, thegreatbambino said:

Need a starter or 2 to give them consistent innings.

Minor- Great

Lynn- Serviceable

Jurado and Sampson - Can give you about 5 innings

Miller, Smyly, Volquez- not good

Using an opener followed by Sampson has worked pretty well so far.

• Like 1

Went to the game Wednesday afternoon. Probably my last game at The Ballpark. It was a great game. The crowd was great. Sampson looked good. He sitting around 91 but locating. I would’ve liked to see another inning out of him but Jurado looked great. The seats were great and it’s sad that it took me this long to find such great seats. It also affirmed that Globe Life Park is still a great place to take in a game. It holds a special place in my heart, saw my very first game there in 1994 as a youngster, I think the Rangers beat the Tigers. A Rangers win was a good way to say goodbye. 

F9F105F0-506A-4BBF-8597-3EC8C864EDEC.jpeg

3 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

View image on Twitter

I have no words...

I hear ya!! I dont care for it either. 

But if they keep playing better with them that way, then so be it lol. 

Pence has done his most, if not all season. His aren't as extreme as Odor's though. 

48 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

I hear ya!! I dont care for it either. 

But if they keep playing better with them that way, then so be it lol. 

Pence has done his most, if not all season. His aren't as extreme as Odor's though. 

Pence rocks it because his style of play matches. He's a scrapper and does everything so funky haha

Odor on the other hand... I guess he's gotta try everything he can to get the BA up lol

4 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

Pence rocks it because his style of play matches. He's a scrapper and does everything so funky haha

Pence has turned out to be a great signing by the Rangers. Production and locker room presence. I just hope he can keep up the on-field production for the whole season. 

tenor (1).gif

• Like 1

18 hours ago, TTman7 said:

Pence has turned out to be a great signing by the Rangers. Production and locker room presence. I just hope he can keep up the on-field production for the whole season. 

tenor (1).gif

Always been a fan of Pence. He plays the game the right way. He's fun to watch.

• Like 1

It was pretty much etched in stone that the Rangers would be one of the worst teams in the MLB this year.  Why the heck happened?!?  The pitching is atrocious for the most part but the offense seems to step up every game.  This is amazing to me

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

It was pretty much etched in stone that the Rangers would be one of the worst teams in the MLB this year.  Why the heck happened?!?  The pitching is atrocious for the most part but the offense seems to step up every game.  This is amazing to me

Yea, I'm optimistically surprised too. They are doing ALOT better than I thought they would....but still a lot of season to go. 

Almost at the halfway point, they are 6 games over .500 at 39-33. 

I wouldn't call the pitching "atrocious". It's been ALOT better than I and most expected. Minor & Lynn have been pretty good imo. Jurado & Sampson have produced more that not imo. Thankfully Woodward removed Smyly from the rotation. The bullpen has been better than expected (however, I'm disappointed in Leclerc's regression). 

There are alot of young players on this team. And most of them are producing.  I'm optimistic about the Ranger's future. 

I'm still unsure on my opinion if they should be buyers before the trade deadline. If they do make trades, hopefully they make smart choices. This team could be special with the right moves.