Mordecai: An Honorable Man

RETIREDFAN1

Mordecai: An Honorable Man

Because of Paul’s late arrival on the scene, his apostleship was questioned at times. In Corinth, although the congregation had been established by Paul, it struggled with many sins. There were some among the Corinthians who weren’t too inclined to correct their problems or to pay heed to Paul’s rebukes. Paul warned that if he must, he would go there and display his full authority.

II Corinthians 13: 2 - 3

It was the Corinthians who needed to examine themselves in regards to whether sin was in their lives.

II Corinthians 13: 5

Paul needed no examination as to whether he was an apostle from them.

II Corinthians 13: 6

However, he did pray that the Corinthians would not sin.

II Corinthians 13: 7

He didn’t want them to avoid sin just because he said so. He wanted them to avoid sin because it was the honorable thing to do.

Paul could tolerate not having an opportunity to prove his apostleship if they remained out of sin. He wanted them to do the honorable thing. We don’t talk about honor that much in our society. Honor is something that is beautiful, good, excellent, advantageous, and noble.

A similar problem was erupting in Galatia.

Galatians 4: 17 - 18

Instead of doing what was noble and honorable, people were trying to get Christians to be followers of men and not of God. Christians need to be zealously honorable at all times, not just when someone is standing over them watching. It was Peter’s wish that all Christians would conduct themselves with honor, even while living in a world lacking in honor.

I Peter 2: 11 - 12

Doing this is definitely a struggle.

Romans 7: 18 - 19

Although it’s hard, we must fight the honorable fight of faith.
I Timothy 6: 12

We do this by making ourselves an example, or pattern, or honorable works.

Titus 2: 7 - 8

We have an example of a man of noble character found in the Old Testament. His name was Mordecai. Mordecai was a man of responsibility.

Esther 2: 7

He had taken in his cousin and raised her as his own daughter. There was no law that required him to do this. It was something that needed to be done, and Mordecai took the burden upon himself. He recognized that a man is responsible to provide for his own.

I Timothy 5: 8

Many people would look for ways that caused others to have to care for her. Or, as is becoming more common today, they would simply walk away from their responsibilities. This is why there are so many kids growing up in single parent homes today. Not much honor remains in our society.

These provisions for our own are not just financial provisions.

Ephesians 6: 4

Fathers are needed in kids lives to train them. This is a fact that our society is slowly beginning to realize once again.

Mordecai was a loyal man.

Esther 2: 21 - 23

Circumstances caused Mordecai to become aware of a plot to assassinate the king. Mordecai didn’t try to sweep it under the rug and act like he never heard it. He could have, had he let fear rule his actions. Mordecai didn’t do like many would do, and say he didn’t want to get involved. He did his duty. He reported it to Esther, who passed the information on to the king. Mordecai was a man who feared God and honored the emperor.

I Peter 2: 17

How much loyalty do we show to our Lord and King?

Matthew 6: 24

When sin surrounds us, do we timidly avoid it? Or should we do something about it? True Christians are willing to face persecution.

Matthew 5: 10 - 12

True Christians are loyal to the word of God.

Titus 1: 9

True Christians are loyal to their marriage.

Ephesians 5: 28

Mordecai was a man of discernment.

Esther 3: 1 - 5

We are not told why Mordecai refused to bow to Haman. There are cases in the Old Testament where people gave honor to other men.

Ruth 2: 10

I Samuel 20: 41

II Kings 1: 13

We can only speculate that Mordecai did not find Haman to be a man worthy of honor.

Psalm 15

Righteousness is not about accepting or tolerating everything. We need to discern between good and evil.

Hebrews 5: 13 - 14

We should be picky.

I Thessalonians 5: 21 - 22

Mordecai was a man of brotherly love.

Esther 4: 1 - 4

He was genuinely distressed over the fate of his people. This is a characteristic of true Christians as well.
John 13: 34 - 35

We all must have a common concern for our fellow Christians.

I John 4: 20 - 21

However, it doesn’t stop there. We must have this concern for all mankind in general. Our fellow men are in danger.
II Corinthians 5: 11

II Corinthians 5: 20

We should be striving to bring everyone to perfection.

Colossians 1: 28 - 29

We are to love everyone, not just other Christians.

Mordecai was a man who encouraged righteous action.

Esther 4: 13 - 14

He didn’t wallow in grief and self-pity like so many people tend to do. Instead, he took steps to save his people by encouraging Esther to take action. He spoke words of encouragement to Esther, just as we are to do for one another.

Ephesians 4: 29

He set the proper example for Esther, just as we are to do for the world.

I Timothy 4: 12

We all need to be people of noble character. We all need to let our light shine so the world sees our beautiful and honorable deeds and give glory to God.

Matthew 5: 16

We need to be seed on the honorable, noble ground and yield an abundant harvest.

Matthew 13: 23

Strive to be honorable, like Mordecai.