No Rasslin' Forum? Imagine My Dismay! :O

88YoePride

Wrasslin' hasn't been good to me since I was a kid, and figured out it was fake.  I do still like to watch old Mid South Wrasslin clips though.  I remember most of the matches from 1971-1985.  That's because it came on at 3 pm and Midnight on Saturday on Channel 3 out of Shreveport, and also on Sunday at 5 pm.  Then we had World Class Wrasslin' (Von Erich's, Freebirds, Ice Man King Parsons, Great Kabuki, Gary Hart, Jimmy Gavin, etc..) on Channel 6 out of Texarkana at  10 am on Saturday morning.  I preferred Tri-State/Mid South over WCW, because they promoted more feuds than just Freebirds/Von Erichs.  Tag Teams were  always changing in Mid South.  Today just as with boxing I couldn't tell you who the Heavy Weight Champion is.  I knew all of the Boxing heavy weight champions until Lennox Lewis.  I can't even remember hearing about any pay per view matches.  I hear more for lower levels and UFC matches.  

On 4/2/2019 at 4:53 PM, DaveTV1 said:

Wrasslin' hasn't been good to me since I was a kid, and figured out it was fake.  I do still like to watch old Mid South Wrasslin clips though.  I remember most of the matches from 1971-1985.  That's because it came on at 3 pm and Midnight on Saturday on Channel 3 out of Shreveport, and also on Sunday at 5 pm.  Then we had World Class Wrasslin' (Von Erich's, Freebirds, Ice Man King Parsons, Great Kabuki, Gary Hart, Jimmy Gavin, etc..) on Channel 6 out of Texarkana at  10 am on Saturday morning.  I preferred Tri-State/Mid South over WCW, because they promoted more feuds than just Freebirds/Von Erichs.  Tag Teams were  always changing in Mid South.  Today just as with boxing I couldn't tell you who the Heavy Weight Champion is.  I knew all of the Boxing heavy weight champions until Lennox Lewis.  I can't even remember hearing about any pay per view matches.  I hear more for lower levels and UFC matches.  

You need to subscribe to WWE network for a month....a lot of Mid-South, WCCW,  etc shows from the 80's are in their archives. It's kind of interesting. (my son has a subscription and I've perused their old shows occasionally)

• Like 1

11 hours ago, threejs said:

You need to subscribe to WWE network for a month....a lot of Mid-South, WCCW,  etc shows from the 80's are in their archives. It's kind of interesting. (my son has a subscription and I've perused their old shows occasionally)

There's a lot of them on YouTube.  I watch those rasslin' matches when I'm feeling nostalgic.  Especially the years when DiBiase, JYD, Mr. Wrestling II, "Hacksaw" Jim Duggan, The Midnight Express, The Rock and Roll Express, Kamala the Ugandan Warrior, Ernie Ladd, Paul Orndorff, Jake "the Snake" Roberts, "Hacksaw" Butch Reed, Terry Taylor, Col. Christopher Buckley  "Yellow Belly" Robley the III, "Dirty" Dick Murdoch, Mr. Olympia, Hercules Hernandez, Grizzly Smith, Dr. X, "Bruiser" Bob Sweetan, and  I could go on and on .   I  thought it was great as a kid.   

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

You all should check out Chikara Pro, also. It's an Indie promotion out of Pennsylvania. They all seem to be cruiser weights or so, but the wrestling is a mix of luchador and Japanese-style. Though they do sometimes incorporate humor into some of their matches (i.e. pausing/rewinding a match, during the match, with a remote control). Though some of you may recognize a couple of names that wrestle there (though I don't know if they do any more) like Tommy Dreamer and Tatanka.

Here's a match example. "Lightning" Mike Quackenbush & Jigsaw vs The Young Bucks:

• 3 months later...

Just going to comment before I head over to "Boxing/MMA" (I never got notifications for any of these comments): I never really thought rasslin' was real. Your first real fight will teach you that. But I used to watch Houston wrestling with my dad (Paul Boesch, Junkyard Dog, etc) then WCCW (the Von Erichs and Freebirds, Bruiser Brody, Gentleman Chris Adams, etc) and even UWF. So when our oldest was little, I turned him onto it. He instantly became an Undertaker fan. I only ever got to take him to a couple live events, but one was for his eighth birthday, at Reliant Stadium. WrestleMania 25. So we were there for the legendary Undertaker/Shawn Michaels match. 

Yeah, it's not real. But do not make the mistake of thinking these guys aren't athletes, or that what they do isn't difficult or doesn't require talent. 

So yeah, the main thing is the characters and the storylines. It really is kind of like a soap opera for guys. It's just a question of the writing and direction, and the performances!