Benefit of Ending Football?

mrclean69

On this forum and others this topic comes up. Sometimes as a joke sometimes serious. Does there come a point that some schools should consider getting rid of football? Matt Stepp tweeted Somerville is on its 6th AD/HFC  in 6 years, and even asked the question. My question isn't about Somerville but this problem as a whole other places. Does there reach a point that the struggle of not just winning in football, but even being competitive and the constant turnover of coaches actually negatively affects kids enough to call it quits and focus elsewhere? 

6 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

On this forum and others this topic comes up. Sometimes as a joke sometimes serious. Does there come a point that some schools should consider getting rid of football? Matt Stepp tweeted Somerville is on its 6th AD/HFC  in 6 years, and even asked the question. My question isn't about Somerville but this problem as a whole other places. Does there reach a point that the struggle of not just winning in football, but even being competitive and the constant turnover of coaches actually negatively affects kids enough to call it quits and focus elsewhere? 

Absolutely, it is a waste of tax payers money in many locations to continue a losing football program.  Think of the money that could be saved.  Just turn your town in to a basketball school.  

• Thumbs Down 1
  • Stinks 2

37 minutes ago, TK4AD said:

Absolutely, it is a waste of tax payers money in many locations to continue a losing football program.  Think of the money that could be saved.  Just turn your town in to a basketball school.  

So football is beneficial to the kids only if you win? Interesting concept.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

12 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

In that case I can think of entire school districts who need CPS called on them. 

26 minutes ago, ctown81 said:

The right question is.... Is football always beneficial? When does keeping a program just to have a program actually negatively impact the kids and community? or does it ever? 

11 minutes ago, ronnyham said:

As long as kids are working hard, learning about dealing with ups and downs, being a part of a brotherhood then I would think its still beneficial

This. Absolutely agree.

There's also just the issue of how it'll affect the Cheerleading, Drill Team, and Marching Band programs if football isn't a thing at the school. All 3 of these programs benefit significantly from just simply having a football program.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TK4AD said:

They would still lose in basketball, so that would not help either. 

3 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

That fella is from QC so you gotta see his point. Plus he’s crazy about the girls basketball coach and wants her as the AD. Her play calling is a thing of beauty. His words. Not mine. 

Man don't be hating on her.  You are just jealous because your school isn't as progressive as QC is going to be.  I mean think about the publicity QC could get with that hire! 

• Stinks 1

39 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

The right question is.... Is football always beneficial? When does keeping a program just to have a program actually negatively impact the kids and community? or does it ever? 

Replace football and insert public education and now we understand the rise in private, home and charter schools.

• Like 1

Just now, mightyeagle said:

Well if you do away with football,then do away with all sports or maybe

they need a new school board,let the kids play and the coaches coach.

No,no,no!

The school board members have power and prestige, would rather lose the way they have always done it  then support a winner, and to much pride to just quit. 

If they quit they would have to admit that thier Grandpa was wrong too. They got to much pride for that. ;)

• Like 1

Sometimes the people at the top of school district need to put their own personal agendas aside, hire someone that will to come in a build a program. Give that person full support to do what is necessary to get the program going. There is no better teacher of life then sports especially the game of football.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, TK4AD said:

This isn't the 1950's.  I mean a lady ran for president last election and won the popular vote.  It's coming and QC might as well be on the forefront of progressivism!!

Why doesn’t she just coach football too? Good representation for them 

• LOL! 1

2 minutes ago, supermaroon said:

At first I thought you were obsessed with her for some weird reason, but this is has gone to far this it is definitely a joke.

No joke, I'm just a forward thinking individual.  I don't believe in the sexist views people have placed on coaches.  A woman can coach just as well as a man.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/09/28/meet-four-women-changing-the-face-of-nfl-coaching.html

• Stinks 1

2 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

That fella is from QC so you gotta see his point. Plus he’s crazy about the girls basketball coach and wants her as the AD. Her play calling is a thing of beauty. His words. Not mine. 

2 hours ago, JV_COACH said:

They would still lose in basketball, so that would not help either. 

We know what QC is there's a thread very alive right now about that place. I believe QC became competitive in guys basketball the past few years. Made the guy head football and basketball,  weren't happy with football results fired him. Looked at max preps out of curiosity and their basketball program declined and didn't make playoffs for the first time in a few years. Is football helping or hurting the kids there? Is Mount Pleasant Chapel Hill getting the benefit of teamwork, hard work, competitiveness, ups and downs etc. without football? Yes.