Benefit of Ending Football?

mrclean69

On 4/12/2019 at 11:02 AM, mrclean69 said:

On this forum and others this topic comes up. Sometimes as a joke sometimes serious. Does there come a point that some schools should consider getting rid of football? Matt Stepp tweeted Somerville is on its 6th AD/HFC  in 6 years, and even asked the question. My question isn't about Somerville but this problem as a whole other places. Does there reach a point that the struggle of not just winning in football, but even being competitive and the constant turnover of coaches actually negatively affects kids enough to call it quits and focus elsewhere? 

Somerville coach changed his mind.  Somerville back open.

https://www.kbtx.com/content/sports/Warren-wont-be-taking-over-at-Somerville-after-all-510099521.html?utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter_kbtxsports

On 4/23/2019 at 1:22 PM, AlvinMack said:

There's no benefit of ending football...anywhere. Football is life.

I would’ve agreed with you until this year when we had to play burkeville. It was 32-0 in the first 54 seconds of the game. There’s no reason for them to drive two hours to have to play that game. 

1 hour ago, Lion1996 said:

I would’ve agreed with you until this year when we had to play burkeville. It was 32-0 in the first 54 seconds of the game. There’s no reason for them to drive two hours to have to play that game. 

Attn: Overton High School AD...  get Burkeville on the non-district schedule asap. 

• LOL! 1

14 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Never heard of Burkeville, so I went to the historical section. What the hell happened? They had the same coach for 30 straight seasons with 219 wins, 3 championship appearances, and 2 titles. After this guy retired or whatever happened it just went all to hell. Very interesting. 

I think it was Hurricane Humberto or maybe Ike that ran a lot of people out of town. They never returned.

10 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

How’d y’all score 4 times in 54 seconds. Even if you ran two kickoffs back. Had two 3 and outs on defense and either ran one or more punts back or ran a punt back once and scored on offense once I’d still would think all that would’ve taken longer than 54 seconds. 

It didn’t we returned the kickoff. Two fumble recoveries for tds on two plays if I remember right then a punt return. I think it was 61-0 with 3 or so minutes left in the first quarter when the kids were told not to score again started running out of bounds. I don’t think they had a tackle against the first string