Schools that would benefit from consolidation?

mTex

An occasional idea brought up when discussing schools that struggle with most or all of their programs is suggesting they should consolidate with another nearby school.

What schools do you think would benefit from this and who do you think wouldn't but gets brought up a lot? I always hear people talk (or joke) about combining QC and Atl all the time, but I personally think as far as athletics go, it would just basically be the Atlanta football team now playing in probably 4AD1, wouldn't be good. No other sports would probably benefit that much from consolidation either.

8 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

LOL...I was typing mine as I saw you had posted. Beat me to it darn it, lol. 

If you just add up what the enrollment would be:

OC: 270ish

Harleton: 225ish

Diana: 315ish

Thats about 810 in the high school.

It would be a very good baseball school lol.

Football would be okay. 

Basktball would be terrible still.

3 hours ago, Valhalla said:

Ore City, Diana, and Harleton

Keep the elementary and middle school campuses. Make one big 9-12 high school.

3 hours ago, TTman7 said:

New Diana - Harleton 

Ore City- Harleton 

Or the biggie....New Diana-Ore City-Harleton (this was actually a consideration and in talks MANY years ago). 

That’d be crazy if it actually happened. Diana is the school known more for its athletics than OC and Harleton so it’d be a plus for those two schools.

It is harder to do this in the East because there are a lot of separate communities and logistically it would be a nightmare. It works out west because a lot of the consolidation happens where the population is a whole lot more sparse and kids would be driving 30-45 minutes to school anyways. I know OC and harleton are close but you're talking about running buses out starting way earlier and other things of that nature for kids to get to school. If you were to combine you might as well send all the kids to Gilmer or something  

Dallas Lincoln and Dallas Madison. There is no reason why these two schools shouldn't be combined when they are right up the street from one another. I would argue they both have some of the best athletes in the state. They all go to the same middle school but get split up in high school.

Really controversial idea: There's about 3000 kids between each of the Texarkana, Texas. Instead of having 1 5A school and 2 small 4A schools, split them into even ~1000 person 4AD1 schools. This will never happen though and there's probably a lot of good arguments as to why they shouldn't.

Although I'm sure JT and the East Dallas 5As wouldn't complain!

2 hours ago, TTman7 said:

New Diana - Harleton 

Ore City- Harleton 

Or the biggie....New Diana-Ore City-Harleton (this was actually a consideration and in talks MANY years ago). 

Green,blue, gold mixed. Yuk  mascott would be the RECs i guess rebels,eagles, cats 

13 hours ago, mTex said:

Really controversial idea: There's about 3000 kids between each of the Texarkana, Texas. Instead of having 1 5A school and 2 small 4A schools, split them into even ~1000 person 4AD1 schools. This will never happen though and there's probably a lot of good arguments as to why they shouldn't.

Although I'm sure JT and the East Dallas 5As wouldn't complain!

The 3 schools in Texarkana are all completely separate School Districts in totally distinct communities. 

7 minutes ago, playactionpass39 said:

I would think Paris would consolidate with North Lamar first, but again, like Texarkana these are 2 distinct communities that will never combine.

Definitely 2 different communities. This has been brought up several times over the years and every time the North Lamar folks come and absolutely shoot this down.

Pertaining to both the Paris and Texarkana ideas, it is definitely hard because of the differences in the communities. To my understanding, the Pleasant Grove and North Lamar communities are significantly more economically well off than their other local school districts. (correct me if I'm wrong) Rivalries don't help either. NL definitely wouldn't allow consolidation and PG's tendency to keep their district somewhat exclusive means redrawing the Texarkana school district lines to create even sized schools nearly impossible. They'd shoot down that idea very quickly even if it would be beneficial.

2 hours ago, AKA said:

Most 2A and 1A schools that are within easy driving distance (subjective, I know) of each other and are consistently underperforming should be consolidated. 

Some of the 2As and 1As that could consolidate into a bigger district were created to get away from the bigger district. For many reasons, white flight being one of the biggest historically. 

6 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

Some of the 2As and 1As that could consolidate into a bigger district were created to get away from the bigger district. For many reasons, white flight being one of the biggest historically. 

get ready for the fireworks

• LOL! 1