Schools that would benefit from consolidation?

mTex

You can't do any of this until it becomes politically and economically necessary.

That's what at least one of the state leaders had hoped to accomplish by now.

He underestimated how much love there is for the public schools, particularly those not in the major metropolitan areas.

Harmony and Union Grove exist for a reason. The parents who live in those districts SPECIFICALLY do NOT want junior and juniorette to have to go to school in Gilmer or Gladewater.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, TheFootballFan said:

Pine tree and Longview.... it will happen !

Actually, I think Pine Tree and Spring Hill merging would make more sense. They're practically on top of each other at this point. 

11 hours ago, ANTI said:

If Longview actually had access to every kid in Longview...school would have about 5K.

I'd settle for the other districts just stop lying about us. 

On 4/15/2019 at 10:30 AM, mrclean69 said:

Some of the 2As and 1As that could consolidate into a bigger district were created to get away from the bigger district. For many reasons, white flight being one of the biggest historically. 

And yet I have seen more non-whites flighting to these schools as well.....

7 hours ago, 36gut said:

You can't do any of this until it becomes politically and economically necessary.

That's what at least one of the state leaders had hoped to accomplish by now.

He underestimated how much love there is for the public schools, particularly those not in the major metropolitan areas.

Harmony and Union Grove exist for a reason. The parents who live in those districts SPECIFICALLY do NOT want junior and juniorette to have to go to school in Gilmer or Gladewater.

This is all true. I also wish more people would take into consideration of quality of education. There's a lot of schools out there that may not have a good reason to merge/shut down, they may even be solid competitively, but their rural location, dissapointing pay to teachers, and small size results in the kids getting a very subpar education.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, mTex said:

This is all true. I also wish more people would take into consideration of quality of education. There's a lot of schools out there that may not have a good reason to merge/shut down, they may even be solid competitively, but their rural location, dissapointing pay to teachers, and small size results in the kids getting a very subpar education.

Maybe, but I don’t think sending the kids to Gladewater ISD is going to fix that problem.

23 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Maybe, but I don’t think sending the kids to Gladewater ISD is going to fix that problem.

Never said it would, I don't know a thing about the education at Gladewater and Union Grove anyway.

14 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

What did their comments have to do with Gladewater? Nothing about their comment resembles UG except that it's a small school. In fact I can't see any teacher not giving kids a quality education based on what they make. If they do they need to get out of teaching.

Union Grove is a fine school and any parent should be happy to send their kids there. That being said, UG hasn't always been what it is today. 

I'm a graduate of Gladewater and it has always been a great school to attend. In fact, if I had kids today I would definitely have them in Gladewater ISD.

1 minute ago, Golfingnut said:

What did their comments have to do with Gladewater? Nothing about their comment resembles UG except that it's a small school. In fact I can't see any teacher not giving kids a quality education based on what they make. If they do they need to get out of teaching.

Union Grove is a fine school and any parent should be happy to send their kids there. That being said, UG hasn't always been what it is today. 

I'm a graduate of Gladewater and it has always been a great school to attend. In fact, if I had kids today I would definitely have them in Gladewater ISD.

The conversation is about small schools who should consolidate and UG and Gladewater is the one that geographically makes sense. 

I was pointing out that forcing smaller schools like Union Grove to consolidate with bigger districts near by (Gladewater) would not help with what he was saying, and in fact it might make it be academics worse for some of those places instead.

55 minutes ago, Golfingnut said:

Here's an interesting question, how much taxpayer waste comes from having these small schools that could consolidate. Union Grove and Gladewater for example makes geographical sense. Why does it make sense to pay for two completely different schools operating 3 miles apart instead of absorbing a couple hundred kids into Gladewater ISD? 

Athletically it wouldn't really hurt Gladewater, they would go back to 4A but stay small school that they've competed in for years. Union Grove athletes would benefit the program. Educations are already close, but Gladewater isn't failing right now. Safe to assume they would just improve score wise. Money saved from operating two schools would go to improve education at one. Of all the ideas on this thread Gladewater/Unino Grove makes logistically the most sense. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, mrclean69 said:

Here's an interesting question, how much taxpayer waste comes from having these small schools that could consolidate. Union Grove and Gladewater for example makes geographical sense. Why does it make sense to pay for two completely different schools operating 3 miles apart instead of absorbing a couple hundred kids into Gladewater ISD? 

Athletically it wouldn't really hurt Gladewater, they would go back to 4A but stay small school that they've competed in for years. Union Grove athletes would benefit the program. Educations are already close, but Gladewater isn't failing right now. Safe to assume they would just improve score wise. Money saved from operating two schools would go to improve education at one. Of all the ideas on this thread Gladewater/Unino Grove makes logistically the most sense. 

Bottom line is it's not going to happen. Many parents like the advantages of sending their kids to a smaller school and many parents that send their kids to UG are graduates of UG themselves. You say money would be saved by operating one school instead of two. What money? The money to run both schools isn't coming from the same basket. Consolidating both ISD's would eliminate teachers, administrators, coaches and other employees. Would the kids get a better education? Maybe some would but many wouldn't. As far as athletes. Sure, there are more athletes to choose from, but you can still only put 11 guys on the field. Many athletes that play now wouldn't get to play if the schools combined. 

Personally, I probably wouldn't necessarily be opposed to the ideal, although my gut says no. I can however say that probably 99.999% of those that are involved in the UG ISD would NEVER go for the ideal.

I'd be more concerned that they change the district lines. Houses on W. Lake at the deadend are in the Gilmer ISD despite the fact that those students have to pass within 1/2 mile of Gladewater High School to get to the bus stop, but yet the Pritchett Community is in the Gladewater ISD despite being 10+ miles out of Gladewater. I have no ideal where the UG lines are, but I would venture to guess that part of Union Grove is also in the Gilmer ISD. 

11 hours ago, Valhalla said:

The conversation is about small schools who should consolidate and UG and Gladewater is the one that geographically makes sense. 

I was pointing out that forcing smaller schools like Union Grove to consolidate with bigger districts near by (Gladewater) would not help with what he was saying, and in fact it might make it be academics worse for some of those places instead.

I was only pointing out that he never mentioned UG or Gladewater and his points were way off base in regards to those two schools.

I see your point geographically and I agree it wouldn't work nor would many in either school district go for it.

I'm not sure when or why UG was built. I know when I was in school at Gladewater it was there & that was many years ago. My son actually played football and basketball for UG in the 90's when my stepdad was the HC/AD there. Then he transferred to Gladewater to play for Jack his Jr. year when my stepdad was let go.