Schools that would benefit from consolidation?

mTex

• 3 weeks later...

Higher school taxes are always a legitimate concern for the community. But honestly most parents are more concerned that if schools consolidated that Little Johnny may not start anymore!!!

10 hours ago, eddhut said:

This is an easy on for me to answer:

Palestine Wildcats  & Westwood Panthers 

1 town  - 2 communities 

Community divided & Talent pool divided 

That is a great idea.  So instead of getting whipped in 3A and 4A they can join forces and get whipped in everything being 5A. I think Palestine soccer is the only thing that has success and might be able to compete in 5A

• Like 1
  • LOL! 1

37 minutes ago, betweentheposts said:

That is a great idea.  So instead of getting whipped in 3A and 4A they can join forces and get whipped in everything being 5A. I think Palestine soccer is the only thing that has success and might be able to compete in 5A

Not even mentioning how these communities probably exist separate for a reason. Doubt they would ever want to consolidate just like some other examples such as Paris and North Lamar. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, mTex said:

Not even mentioning how these communities probably exist separate for a reason. Doubt they would ever want to consolidate just like some other examples such as Paris and North Lamar. 

many of these ISD's were created in the early 1900s when some of these communities were actually separated by several miles...and the transportation system was a little different...lol.  Wasn't as easy or as fast to go 15 miles back then like it is now.  But these towns/cities grew and eventually some of the ISDs ended up being in the same town or city.  If you look at some of the history on many of these school districts, you will find that alot of them have been consolidated over the years into what they are presently. 

What's crazy, is I started a thread like this many yrs ago, and the reaction i received was not as friendly...lol...I guess people are coming around.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think some people came around who weren't with you previously after paying year after year of ISD property tax increases.

I don't think consolidation will happen much unless the Green New Deal were to come into full effect, decreeing that ALL remaining fossil fuel resources in the state remain in the ground , but I could see some common-sense cuts to administrative overhead.

For example, I don't know why the seven relatively small school districts located entirely or almost entirely within Upshur County couldn't get by with one countywide superintendent rather than seven individual ISD supers.

Of course, I am sure the six suddenly "former" superintendents could come up with a whole lot of reasons why this is not feasible.

Realistically, the only way radical change will ever come to this system is when something we shouldn't wish for occurs - another Great Depression.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2019 at 7:49 AM, 36gut said:

I think some people came around who weren't with you previously after paying year after year of ISD property tax increases.

I don't think consolidation will happen much unless the Green New Deal were to come into full effect, decreeing that ALL remaining fossil fuel resources in the state remain in the ground , but I could see some common-sense cuts to administrative overhead.

For example, I don't know why the seven relatively small school districts located entirely or almost entirely within Upshur County couldn't get by with one countywide superintendent rather than seven individual ISD supers.

Of course, I am sure the six suddenly "former" superintendents could come up with a whole lot of reasons why this is not feasible.

Realistically, the only way radical change will ever come to this system is when something we shouldn't wish for occurs - another Great Depression.

The "school" you'd be describing would be a quite large Upshur County CSD at that point (I have urged for many years for athletic reasons) and brought up on here before. It would have many administrators (principals, and assistant superintendents that would handle every aspect of this and that - it would be those current superintendents taking those lesser titles and jobs). In a larger school district, those asst superintendents would make as much or more than what a superintendent at the small East Texas country ISD's usually make now. 

Can someone define “benefit”? Are we talking improving the quality of education? More successful athletic programs? Lower taxes? I don’t see a lot of benefits, period, at least not for the 4 small school districts in Shelby County. In fact, if this cockamamie idea were ever to come to fruition in Shelby County, I would be hesitant to send my kids there. Louisiana has a system similar to what some are proposing, where the schools are run by a parish wide bureaucracy. For the most part, it is a quagmire. 

2 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Can someone define “benefit”? Are we talking improving the quality of education? More successful athletic programs? Lower taxes? I don’t see a lot of benefits, period, at least not for the 4 small school districts in Shelby County. In fact, if this cockamamie idea were ever to come to fruition in Shelby County, I would be hesitant to send my kids there. Louisiana has a system similar to what some are proposing, where the schools are run by a parish wide bureaucracy. For the most part, it is a quagmire. 

In contrary to what I said when I started this thread about combining to improve athletic programs, I think it should be about education and finances the most.

Priorities:

#1 Having enough money to function and have quality facilities and hire quality staff.

#2 Quality of Education (Although both 1 and 2 should go hand in hand generally)

#3 Quality of the Extracurricular Experience, in athletics, arts, and any other activities.

I know that this is predominantly East Texas but lots of schools in South Texas would benefit too. Consolidation saves money in numerous ways. 

Less administrators equals less costs of high salaries

Fewer buildings and facilities for upkeep 

Lower transportation costs even though you have a possible longer commute to school. This comes from fewer extra curricular activities and also consolidating could make schools closer to district mates

The ability to combine two tax bases allows the schools to pay teachers more. This is big since most new teachers go to urban school districts because the pay is so much more. Also this extra money goes to more academic opportunities as well.

• Thanks 1

On ‎4‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 1:32 AM, Ronster23 said:

WR and Overton, yes...not Arp, in Smith Co...different county would cause tax issues 

There's no tax issues with school districts crossing county lines.  Quite a number throughout the state do this. 

23 hours ago, DOB said:

Chisum + Roxton just voted to do it ... Chiston or Roxum? Musty Lions or Liontangs?

293 + 38

For two programs that are terrible for the most part in sports these days this would push them close to division 1 numbers let the losing continue. As for academics Chisum is really top of the line for the area . Plus they are upgrading everything over there can't blame Roxton for wanting to join.

On 5/13/2019 at 8:07 AM, supermaroon said:

For two programs that are terrible for the most part in sports these days this would push them close to division 1 numbers let the losing continue. As for academics Chisum is really top of the line for the area . Plus they are upgrading everything over there can't blame Roxton for wanting to join.

A Paris Chisum education will get you just as far as any other school around Paris.  

1 hour ago, JV_COACH said:

A Paris Chisum education will get you just as far as any other school around Paris.  

Yes I agree I was just stating that they are known for academics not sports in a town that is know more for its sports than anything

• Like 1

On 5/13/2019 at 8:07 AM, supermaroon said:

reading about the Roxton situation, it appears they had no choice, and sinch Chisum ISD basically surrounds Roxton, it was the obvious choice.  According to the Roxton school officials, the school wasn't going to open this fall because of its financial situaion. I think Honey Grove was a possible choice, but county officials want to keep the tax dollars in Lamar County.

Also, I wouldn't be shocked if many more rural schools end up facing the same situation as Roxton and are forced to consolidate. Most people are leaving the rural areas, and the population and tax dollars are much less.  Some rural districts can get away with it because although they serve the rural areas of the county, the school and parts of the district are located in a larger town so they get part of those tax dollars...ie  Chisum, North Lamar, PG, Westwood.

I wonder if Red Lick will ever combine with someone like PG or Texas, or if they'll finally just build their own high school. Though given they're in a situation where their kids can choose between PG, Texas, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong), also Hooks and Redwater. So I bet the parents there like their kids having some choice.

• Like 1