Schools that would benefit from consolidation?

mTex

9 hours ago, mTex said:

I wonder if Red Lick will ever combine with someone like PG or Texas, or if they'll finally just build their own high school. Though given they're in a situation where their kids can choose between PG, Texas, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong), also Hooks and Redwater. So I bet the parents there like their kids having some choice.

Yes they can go almost anywhere they want. I live in Red Lick, and I have heard rumors of building a high school, but not sure if or when. 

14 hours ago, JTFAN99 said:

reading about the Roxton situation, it appears they had no choice, and sinch Chisum ISD basically surrounds Roxton, it was the obvious choice.  According to the Roxton school officials, the school wasn't going to open this fall because of its financial situaion. I think Honey Grove was a possible choice, but county officials want to keep the tax dollars in Lamar County.

Also, I wouldn't be shocked if many more rural schools end up facing the same situation as Roxton and are forced to consolidate. Most people are leaving the rural areas, and the population and tax dollars are much less.  Some rural districts can get away with it because although they serve the rural areas of the county, the school and parts of the district are located in a larger town so they get part of those tax dollars...ie  Chisum, North Lamar, PG, Westwood.

Yes I agree the next piece to fall in the small school world is fannindel they will probably end up going to Honey Grove. I believe next year is their last school year.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, mTex said:

I would guess North Lamar has the best academics in that area judging by their success in UIL's competitive academics, but that could mean nothing.

This might be true but living in the area I was always told that Chisum is the school of academics for Paris but North Lamar was a close 2nd until the financial debacle a few years ago and the mass exodus of good teachers.

11 hours ago, mTex said:

I wonder if Red Lick will ever combine with someone like PG or Texas, or if they'll finally just build their own high school. Though given they're in a situation where their kids can choose between PG, Texas, and I think (correct me if I'm wrong), also Hooks and Redwater. So I bet the parents there like their kids having some choice.

Yea i would assume freedom of choice is more enticing to them than their own school

1 hour ago, supermaroon said:

This might be true but living in the area I was always told that Chisum is the school of academics for Paris but North Lamar was a close 2nd until the financial debacle a few years ago and the mass exodus of good teachers.

They gotta say something as to why they aint no good.  Cooper is just as good of a school as Chisum 

Just now, JV_COACH said:

They gotta say something as to why they aint no good.  Cooper is just as good of a school as Chisum 

I would like to think we are but i am personally biased. I know that Chisum hangs their hat on is academics because we use to destroy them in every sport. Now its just football we destroy them in.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JV_COACH said:

Queen City should consolidate with Atlanta. 

And how would that be a benifit for Atlanta?  They already get anyone that can walk and chew gum to move from QC.  All that would do is bump up Atlanta's enrollment numbers.  They seem to be enjoying 3A right now.

7 hours ago, JV_COACH said:

Queen City should consolidate with Atlanta. 

might as well grab McLeod and Bloomberg too. But I'm sure parents in Louisiana and Arkansas may be upset about that. I hear kids cross state lines to go to those schools.

8 hours ago, TheGodfather said:

Yes they can go almost anywhere they want. I live in Red Lick, and I have heard rumors of building a high school, but not sure if or when. 

that rumor has been going around for 20 years now and i for some reason still expect them to open one.

7 hours ago, Hayseed said:

TrueBlue and Greezy says HansonSwitch and WillowGrove might consolidate with TruittChapel to form a 2A entity. Any conferment?

I hear Fred Sanford has kinfolks in the area. Not sure how they would feel about that. 

• LOL! 1

8 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Someone in Hooks admin told me that the reason they got bumped up to 3AD1 was because of a large number of Red Lick kids coming to them. 

That's surprising, I honestly figured most kids from Red Lick would choose Texas or PG. 

Unless I missed it, Lion54 suggestion of ARP and  Troup would benefit both. Haven’t seen an response on why it wouldn’t work. But have always wondered why that hasn’t happened. A lot of family connections. Is there some kind of history that everyone doesn’t know about? Just asking 

11 minutes ago, JACKETLIFE said:

Unless I missed it, Lion54 suggestion of ARP and  Troup would benefit both. Haven’t seen an response on why it wouldn’t work. But have always wondered why that hasn’t happened. A lot of family connections. Is there some kind of history that everyone doesn’t know about? Just asking 

They’ve tried it, but it keeps falling through because they can’t agree on important stuff like mascots and school colors. 

• LOL! 3

1 hour ago, JV_COACH said:

At least Mcloud tries to compete in athletics,  the kids look intelligent and have some normalcy to them. 

They are very competitive in pretty much everything. Just don’t play football. Coach Lambeth is a good dude. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

Sorry this just tickled the hell out of me. “The kids look intelligent and have some normalcy to them” ? As compared to who? Bloomberg ? What’s wrong with Bloomberg ? Lmao. 

In general Mcloud (the kids I saw at diffrent sporting events) looked like above average kids in the categories mentioned. Bloomberg has some diffrent folks...I had not seen so many tattooed girls playing basketball since I went to school at Rutgers.