Schools that would benefit from consolidation?

mTex

On 4/14/2019 at 12:58 PM, Valhalla said:

Ore City, Diana, and Harleton

Keep the elementary and middle school campuses. Make one big 9-12 high school.

Yes!!

they could name the school Lake Trash High! The mascot could be the Mudcats!!

On 5/23/2019 at 10:04 PM, OLEMAN said:

There will soon come a time when a lot of 3A schools down will have no choice due to the almighty dollar

I’m not entirely opposed to the idea of consolidation, but only if that’s what is in the best interests of the kids of the districts involved. I also think these decisions need to be made by the parents and taxpayers of the districts, and not by a bunch of bureaucrats in Austin and Washington. 

• Like 1

No one in Washington has the power to enforce school consolidation in Texas. If it ever looked like that were about to happen, I think the "Republic of Texas" would go mainstream and not just be some fringe idea of militia groups.

However, I think Austin is always going to have a say in this, particularly when it comes to those districts who have a paucity of taxable real property and whose residents "don't have a pot to pee in" (as an oilman I worked for long ago characterized those who are now called the "economically disadvantaged" in school district lingo).

"He who pays the piper calls the tune."

4 hours ago, 36gut said:

No one in Washington has the power to enforce school consolidation in Texas. If it ever looked like that were about to happen, I think the "Republic of Texas" would go mainstream and not just be some fringe idea of militia groups.

However, I think Austin is always going to have a say in this, particularly when it comes to those districts who have a paucity of taxable real property and whose residents "don't have a pot to pee in" (as an oilman I worked for long ago characterized those who are now called the "economically disadvantaged" in school district lingo).

"He who pays the piper calls the tune."

While your point about Washington’s power is currently correct, I have little to no faith in the idea that things will stay that way. Career politicians see public education as a vehicle to indoctrinate generations with their way of thinking, and they will use every opportunity to inch closer to a federal takeover of the entire system. As far as Austin, yes they have a say in it, but the ones of us in rural school districts need to work to keep a tight leash on them to make sure that they understand that our schools will stay open as long as we, the taxpayers, want to keep them open. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

The only people who should have a say in schools are the ones paying for them. Land owners! If that seems unfair then lower my damn property taxes and put in place a consumption tax where EVERYONE pitches in. I know people with 8 kids but no property. I know people with no kids or grandkids who own property. My aunt pays out the in taxes both here and Arlington and all she has is two damn dogs. Just isn’t fair. 

I don’t disagree with your stance on taxes. But education isn’t simply a dollars and cents issue. There are lots of layers to the problems in public education, none of which are going to be solved by anyone in Washington or Austin. 

• Thanks 1

Just now, NATUREBOY98 said:

Agreed. Yeah it’s not about the money. We throw more money at education than any other nation, yet our kids seem to be getting more dumb. Couple of things I’d think would help are to get the bureaucrats out of it along with gawd awful standardized testing and let teachers get back to teaching. Not prepping for this #### year round. Then back to taxes. Eliminate the property tax for the purpose of funding schools.  Institute a tax everyone pays. Maybe if everyone had some skin in the game they’d give a poop. 

When I’m elected governor of Texas I will appoint you to run the TEA. 

• LOL! 1

18 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Well it’s a state job, so the benefits are probably off the chain. 

They're getting worse each year...   if this keeps up, I may be forced to get a real job and <shudder> work for a living.

Not all of us school folk have a golden parachute like ol' Daddy Warbucks Hardin.  :D 

On 5/27/2019 at 7:53 AM, 36gut said:

Yeah, I don't think anyone is suggesting that a bunch of 3A and smaller schools just consolidate for the heck of it, or even that a compelling case could be made why they should. 

My sense is that the legislature is gonna keep tightening the belt to such a degree that the smaller/poorer schools are starved out of existence, and forced to consolidate in order to survive. 

4 minutes ago, AKA said:

They're getting worse each year...   if this keeps up, I may be forced to get a real job and <shudder> work for a living.

Not all of us school folk have a golden parachute like ol' Daddy Warbucks Hardin. 

To quote your favorite president, “Let me be clear”, I wasn’t referring to teachers or administrators employed by independent school districts. The plush jobs with over-the-top benefits I was referring to are the ones held by the bureaucrats in Austin, who are the root of the problem with public education in the state. Mrs. True blue is employed by an ISD, and we opted out of the health Insurance plan there because my oilfield job provides a much better one at roughly a fifth of the cost. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, trueblue82 said:

To quote your favorite president, “Let me be clear”, I wasn’t referring to teachers or administrators employed by independent school districts. The plush jobs with over-the-top benefits I was referring to are the ones held by the bureaucrats in Austin, who are the root of the problem with public education in the state. Mrs. True blue is employed by an ISD, and we opted out of the health Insurance plan there because my oilfield job provides a much better one at roughly a fifth of the cost

Y'all hiring?  :D 

23 hours ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

The only people who should have a say in schools are the ones paying for them. Land owners! If that seems unfair then lower my damn property taxes and put in place a consumption tax where EVERYONE pitches in. I know people with 8 kids but no property. I know people with no kids or grandkids who own property. My aunt pays out the in taxes both here and Arlington and all she has is two damn dogs. Just isn’t fair. 

I get where you are going with your point, but land owners are not the only people who pay for schools. Yes they do contribute to most of the school funds through property tax , but the state and federal gov also provide funding to schools and that money comes from other taxes. Also, if a person owns a home but rents it out...technically the person renting is contributing to payment for the home and its taxes.

I think the community as a whole should have a say in what happens to their schools and they should decide if they want their school open and if they want to pay to keep it open...but if the money ain't there, it ain't there.  

On 5/28/2019 at 8:43 AM, AKA said:

Not all of us school folk have a golden parachute like ol' Daddy Warbucks Hardin.  :D 

The benefits are still pretty good unless you have a job in education.

1 hour ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

Oooooo, load up on athleticism. 😃

Football, Basketball, baseball, softball would all be fun!!!  Hahahahaha

Girls soccer would still be abysmal though 😂😂