Schools that would benefit from consolidation?

mTex

On 4/13/2019 at 10:23 PM, mTex said:

An occasional idea brought up when discussing schools that struggle with most or all of their programs is suggesting they should consolidate with another nearby school.

What schools do you think would benefit from this and who do you think wouldn't but gets brought up a lot? I always hear people talk (or joke) about combining QC and Atl all the time, but I personally think as far as athletics go, it would just basically be the Atlanta football team now playing in probably 4AD1, wouldn't be good. No other sports would probably benefit that much from consolidation either.

QC would benefit for sure, not ATL. ATL has a good gig going right now being 3A, and a lot of decent athletes from QC end up transferring anyway. I think there was a mass exodus of athletes from QC to ATL this past year. 

36 minutes ago, mrclean69 said:

Some of the 2As and 1As that could consolidate into a bigger district were created to get away from the bigger district. For many reasons, white flight being one of the biggest historically. 

giphy.webp

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Destry said:

Green,blue, gold mixed. Yuk  mascott would be the RECs i guess rebels,eagles, cats 

Rebels would be gone FOR SURE (I'm surprised it hasn't already with the current political culture). They tried getting rid of that mascot when I was in high school there in the late '80s. Patriots was the number one choice to replace Rebels. 

24 minutes ago, AttaKid0596 said:

Pewitt & Daingerfield

I'm not sure how this would work out, I know little about those communities, but what about Daingerfield and Hughes Springs? They appear to be rather close, closer than Omaha and Daingerfield for sure.

6 hours ago, mTex said:

Pertaining to both the Paris and Texarkana ideas, it is definitely hard because of the differences in the communities. To my understanding, the Pleasant Grove and North Lamar communities are significantly more economically well off than their other local school districts. (correct me if I'm wrong) Rivalries don't help either. NL definitely wouldn't allow consolidation and PG's tendency to keep their district somewhat exclusive means redrawing the Texarkana school district lines to create even sized schools nearly impossible. They'd shoot down that idea very quickly even if it would be beneficial.

theres quite a few that go to texas high that live in pg tax district and vice versa.

12 hours ago, Valhalla said:

That's another one.

Arp, West Rusk, and Overton.

West Rusk/Overton seems more pragmatic than all three. 

But I reckon both would rather shut down than merge. 

I always thought you could do a big Upshur County HS merging Gilmer, Harmony, Union Hill, New Diana (or a big part), Ore City (or a big part), Union Grove (merge part to Gilmer, part to Gladewater). 

Would be a monster. Many elementary and intermediate/middle schools then merge into the UCHS. 

12 hours ago, TheFootballFan said:

Pine tree and Longview.... it will happen !

Unnecessary imo. East Texas doesn't need more giant 6A schools, let Longview be and hope they drop eventually.