Class 3A (D-II)

BoyzNdaHood

8 hours ago, Stoney said:

Everybody should of enjoyed getting their licks in against Arp while they were down last year.  

It will be a fun year in the district. Arp won't even remotely look like last year's team imo. We lost some dang good sr's but the growth of all those Fr, So's and Jr's Arp has coming back will have them back to competing with everyone I would expect. They'll have a lot more depth this year for sure.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Valhalla said:

My favorite thing about predictions is when you guy say so and so “had a great offseason”.

Every program in the state has had a “great” offseason if you ask them lol.

True story

14 minutes ago, NATUREBOY98 said:

I get what your saying. I guess you’re referring to one of my post. I said something similar. I was just going by Coach Abron’s success last season. He was hired after school was dismissed. Didn’t have time to get any coaches lined up. Didn’t have time to meet the kids, let alone mold them into his system of doing things. He implemented a new weight room program. The kids really responded well. Actually had the kids excited about lifting. Had several to advance to regionals in powerlifting. First time in awhile that’s happened. Track wasn’t an option. You want the ball in the fall then you run the ring in the spring he likes to say. Had a few 1st place finishes at Area and the most ever advance to regionals for as far back as I can remember. As you know, we Brahmas aren’t exactly Track & Field juggernauts. We aren’t Atlanta, Tatum, Jefferson and Daingerfield lol. So yes we had a successful spring. He’s been here a year. The players understand what he expects from them. He’s given them the tools to execute his vision. So yes, it was a great offseason. You’re right though. Everyone has rose colored glasses this time of year. Me? Heck I never take mine off lol. Have a great Memorial Day weekend Valhalla. 

I didn’t even notice you saying it lol. 

I noticed it from the Arp guy.

On 5/24/2019 at 1:26 PM, NATUREBOY98 said:

HS has it rough since moving up. I actually think Arp will do better. In our own district DF will be clear favorite. PP will duke it out for second with Waskom and EF. Yeah yeah I’m a homer but Abron has had a great off season. We return everyone basically. Waskom lost tons of great kids. EF is dangerous if they can learn to be more physical. 

Everything is in place, being physical is the key for EF. 

3 hours ago, TDJ89 said:

Everything is in place, being physical is the key for EF. 

Not sure I can ever recall an EF team that wasn't physical. They may have lacked weapons here and there but never soft.  

9 minutes ago, Tiger1995 said:

Not sure I can ever recall an EF team that wasn't physical. They may have lacked weapons here and there but never soft.  

You haven't seen them play lately JJ like I have, after Ted Patton left after the '07 season, they became less physical from the different style of coaching from all the coaching changes, but I hope Ford changes that this yr, not trying to bash just speaking from what I've seen. 

4 minutes ago, Tiger1995 said:

Can't argue there brother. Seems like a lot has changed the last few years Down there.

Even the NFL is trying to go softer, Goodell wants to get rid of the Oklahoma drill saying it unnecessary contact 😂 😂 😂 😂 how else are you gonna teach tackle football 

8 minutes ago, TDJ89 said:

You haven't seen them play lately JJ like I have, after Ted Patton left after the '07 season, they became less physical from the different style of coaching from all the coaching changes, but I hope Ford changes that this yr, not trying to bash just speaking from what I've seen. 

I may be recalling incorrectly. But, do I recall you or another jacket supporter mentioning last season that the HFC didnt allow the players to hit or make contact during the entire practice week all season? 

2 minutes ago, TDJ89 said:

Even the NFL is trying to go softer, Goodell wants to get rid of the Oklahoma drill saying it unnecessary contact 😂😂😂😂 how else are you gonna teach tackle football 

yup. Honestly I'm not an Oklahoma drill fan but see your point.

7 minutes ago, TTman7 said:

I may be recalling incorrectly. But, do I recall you or another jacket supporter mentioning last season that the HFC didnt allow the players to hit or make contact during the entire practice week all season? 

Yes that was killing me, I don't understand that approach preparing for a contact physical sport

8 minutes ago, TDJ89 said:

Yes that was killing me, I don't understand that approach preparing for a contact physical sport

Yea, me either. Back in my day, we had full-contact hitting & tackling in practice on Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday. Only non-contact was on Thursdays when we did a walk thru practice and special teams prep. 

And then we had to walk home up hill 4 miles. Down a gravel road and jump a 2 miles creek and slay a dragon before we got there too. I never could figure out we’re all those dragons were coming from. You figure you slay one your job is done but there was always another one. I guess wanted revenge or something. But here I am and you don’t see any more dragons. 

1 hour ago, TTman7 said:

Yea, me either. Back in my day, we had full-contact hitting & tackling in practice on Monday, Tuesday, & Wednesday. Only non-contact was on Thursdays when we did a walk thru practice and special teams prep. 

Our '12 team that went to the semi final wasn't very physical either, we had rematches against HS and Arp in the playoffs that the kids knew how to play the second time around after blowout loses, but when we met up with East Bernard in the semis in Waco, I took one look at that bunch and when they jogged onto the field, I knew a butt whooping was coming, they just had a physical look about them that I knew we was in trouble. 

9 hours ago, TDJ89 said:

Its no different from tackling a ball carrier in a game, same thing. 

Problem with Oklahoma's is because of the lack of time to mentally process the natural motion of getting up puts the head in a bad situation more often than not. At least that's the NFLs way of looking at it. Me personally I've found Fundamentals and live action 3 on 3 is a much better situation because it simulates a better realistic play vs the likely hood of 2 players getting up from facing opposite directions and hitting....which isn't a normal in a game

Heads up tackling imo works and is a good thing. If I can keep 1 more player a year from getting hurt then I'm using and all for it. The last 2 years we have seen a big decrease in kids not being out of injury compared to the last. Which we all know is big in small schools like I coach at the ones y'all support.

13 minutes ago, justafan said:

Hard to teach a kid to be physical now a days. I think it’s a mentality. Spread offense killed the old school kids. And not working in the hay fields all summer. 

No matter what offense you run, you can still be physical

10 minutes ago, Tiger1995 said:

Problem with Oklahoma's is because of the lack of time to mentally process the natural motion of getting up puts the head in a bad situation more often than not. At least that's the NFLs way of looking at it. Me personally I've found Fundamentals and live action 3 on 3 is a much better situation because it simulates a better realistic play vs the likely hood of 2 players getting up from facing opposite directions and hitting....which isn't a normal in a game

But it does teach you how to be physical, I've seen guys who's took on two blockers and still made the tackle, that's what the Oklahoma drill teaches you, it teaches you how to shead off blockers but more importantly, it teaches you toughness also

11 minutes ago, TDJ89 said:

But it does teach you how to be physical, I've seen guys who's took on two blockers and still made the tackle, that's what the Oklahoma drill teaches you, it teaches you how to shead off blockers but more importantly, it teaches you toughness also

All that is still the same. The only difference you guys are really seeing in what y'all call "physical" is the technique has changed for the better and seems less physical but in reality it's more physical in the aspect of it takes mind and strength to accomplish. The good old day of just put your head down and bull through someones chest is long past for great reasons. Y'all can say all you want about these kids today but they are bigger, stronger and more physical than we ever thought about being back in the day. The technology in the off season training is unreal these days. If we resorted back to the glory days of tacking in football we would see deaths everywhere due to the size and strength of a bunch of these kids. The speed would also eat all those guys for breakfast and it would turn out to be a scoring frenzy  in ever game.