Woodward to LSU?

Stoney

Bruce Feldman-  SOURCE: #LSU will be looking for a new AD. I can confirm that Joe Alleva is expected to step down, as the Baton Rouge Business Report first reported

Will Scott Woodward be in play for the new AD at LSU?

I’d hate to lose him to LSU. This could be a play for money, he’s underpaid right now compared to others in the state and in the sec, but I think coming back to his alma mater might be more to beat than a big raise. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, JustAFan11 said:

Looks like it’s a done deal per Billy Lucci. 

Gotta think Ed O is going to be on a short leash at LSU now. 

Ed O did great last year.  New look offense this year will make or break him.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stoney said:

Chris Petersen in a new tone of purple and gold?

I’ve seen multiple reports that Jimbo has a zero buyout clause in his contract, per his request, so Jimbo will probably be the top name on the LSU board should they decide to let coach O go. 

With a zero buyout, LSU could afford to at least be reasonable in their offer to Jimbo. A buyout would have made it far too difficult to get him, but all bets are off without one. This could get ugly for A&M in a hurry in a year if the chips fall the way some think. 

• Like 1

I personally don’t think Jimbo would leave for LSU, but I suppose anything is possible. This is all years down the road anyway because I think Ed O leads LSU to 10 wins and they keep him another year or two. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

I personally don’t think Jimbo would leave for LSU, but I suppose anything is possible. This is all years down the road anyway because I think Ed O leads LSU to 10 wins and they keep him another year or two. 

Ed O can win 10 a year If he keeps making hires like he has at LSU.  However, 10 wins a year and a national championship got Les Miles fired... so there’s that...

• Like 1

I think people should try to think about why Jimbo would have a no buyout clause.  My theory......  he got so unhappy at Florida State he worried it could happen elsewhere.  Now, he gets fired he gets paid.  Somebody comes calling (with a no buyout clause) he has leverage.  He can use that leverage many ways. However if he’s unhappy and the “right” place calls his buyout isn’t an obstacle for the calling university.  Smart move on his part.  

3 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I think people should try to think about why Jimbo would have a no buyout clause.  My theory......  he got so unhappy at Florida State he worried it could happen elsewhere.  Now, he gets fired he gets paid.  Somebody comes calling (with a no buyout clause) he has leverage.  He can use that leverage many ways. However if he’s unhappy and the “right” place calls his buyout isn’t an obstacle for the calling university.  Smart move on his part.  

No one is going to pay him what A&M is unless they are desperate for a big name...  especially at the length of that contract.  Jimbo is off to a good start at A&M and I can’t imagine it getting worse.  Jimbo works his tail off... he may get upset with certain things but we know A&M has the funds to get him what he wants and needs to succeed where LSU has failed to do that at times...

7 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

No one is going to pay him what A&M is unless they are desperate for a big name...  especially at the length of that contract.  Jimbo is off to a good start at A&M and I can’t imagine it getting worse.  Jimbo works his tail off... he may get upset with certain things but we know A&M has the funds to get him what he wants and needs to succeed where LSU has failed to do that at times...

That’s just my theory on why he requested the no buyout clause.  It works in his favor either way.

15 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Potentially. I mean nobody really knows the reasoning. Hell I don’t even know if that’s true he doesn’t have a buyout. I’ve seen it mentioned before though and it was never corrected by anyone who would know so I just assumed it’s true. 

Now that being said, Jimbo has top 5 facilities at A&M, a pretty much open checkbook to hire assistants he wants, he could easily get more money out of A&M in 2-3 years if they are in the hunt for titles. There simply is only about 4 places in the entire country that have that. Not even LSU is capable of offering the same things money wise. So pretty much if he ever decides to make a move, it’s because of a personal connection with an AD or something like that. Because A&M is literally giving him the keys to resources only 2-3 other teams in the entire country can truly give. So not having a buyout doesn’t mean much to me. 

16 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Exactly. No offense to LSU because they are a great program, but they simply don’t have the money to throw around right now that A&M does. Whether it be on facilities or assistants or his own contract. If he ever left, it will be because he doesn’t like whoever the new AD will be or he likes Woodward enough to follow him somewhere someday.  It won’t be because someone can offer him more. 

Ed O will be at LSU another 2 years IMO.  That's when his buyout drops to about 4 mil. maybe??  LSU probably gets 2nd in the west behind Bama' this year and a decent shot at 10 wins.  If he stumbles though and does it again in 2020 then you'll start to hear the Jimbo to LSU talk heat up.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Looch has announced that RC Slocum has been named interim AD for aTm

03BC24BC-C000-48DD-A530-18B651448441.jpeg

As long as it’s not a permanent solution this is fine. He will still give jimbo what he wants and keep the peace with everyone. I don’t expect a new AD to be named until a new school president is named. Word is Young is out. Then the new school president will probably have his say in the hiring of an AD. 

25 minutes ago, WETSU said:

As long as it’s not a permanent solution this is fine. He will still give jimbo what he wants and keep the peace with everyone. I don’t expect a new AD to be named until a new school president is named. Word is Young is out. Then the new school president will probably have his say in the hiring of an AD. 

A&M suddenly in a lot of flux. Seems very sudden and out of the blue.

28 minutes ago, HearEmaGrowlin said:

A&M suddenly in a lot of flux. Seems very sudden and out of the blue.

It’s all stemming from them not wanting to retain president Young. President Young and Woodward are supposedly very very close friends. Woodward wouldn’t have been at A&M if not for Young. It’s all but common knowledge that Young will not be extended and I believe that’s part of why Woodward is leaving. I mean yes the alma mater calling is the biggest reason, but uncertainty surrounding his future boss (new president) is a big factor imo. An AD is only as good as his President allows him to be. So there must be a very clear goal with everyone on board or it will not work. 

Another factor is for as much spending as A&M is doing, they were underpaying Woodward. He was only the 6th highest paid AD in the SEC. It’s not that they can’t afford it, it’s that the BOR refuses to pay the AD more than the school president. It’s just some unspoken rule they have. So since they didn’t want to give Young a raise they wouldn’t give Woodward one. Therefore adding a little more fuel to the fire imo. 

All in all this is mostly centered around President Young and the pull for Woodward to return to his hometown and school. 

22 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I’ve read that Woodward felt unappreciated and underpaid.  You hearing anything like that too?

I’ve heard it’s a very small factor but still a factor. He would have stayed for anyone but LSU from what I’ve heard. But his alma mater calling and his friend probably getting the boot compared with being a little underpaid could all be factors. I do not think this is about money at all though.