Stoney’s 2019 Dallas Cowboys Mock Draft

First off I took into account positions that aren’t that big a need for this team. QB, FB, OL, aren’t in my rankings for that reason. 

Postions of Need 

1. Safety 2. 3 Tech 3. Running Back 4. Corner Back 5. Defensive End 6. Wide Reciever 7. Tight End 8. Linebacker

Using The Draft Network’s Mock Draft simulator, plus their big board since there’s not much variance in mine and theirs, I’ll use that to make my picks. No trade ups or downs. 

S- Taylor Rapp could fall here due to his 40 time (4.74) and being a box safety. Juan Thornhill, Darnell Savage should be here. Thornhill is the type of player ET coulda been. Can play CB/FS/SE and has ball skills. Savage is a small box safety in the mold of Bob Sanders 

3T-L.J Collier might fall here but in this Mock he didn’t. Could be a intriguing 3T in the NFL. Dremont Jones is here. Walk in rotation player.

RB- Damien Harris, Justin Hill, Trayveon Williams are here but too rich for a RB at 58.

CB- The sneaky need for Dallas. Do you pay Byron Jones/ Anthony Brown next year? Joewuan Williams, Isiah Johnson are here. Tall, long corners that Kris Richard loved in Seattle. 

DE- Jaylon Ferguson should be here. Great stats, good tape, bad tests. Small school guy. Zach Allen is a Tyrone Crawford starter package.

WR- Deebo Samuel wasn’t here or he would have been part of the discussion.

TE- Jace Sternberger, I’m not going that high on a TE. 

LB- Nobody on my board is even worth taking a shot here.

Stoney picks at 2.58 Juan Thornhill. Dallas gets a kid that can play SS with Xavier Woods playing the high safety. 13 ints in college. Kid has some similarities to Byron Jones in his flexibility in the secondary. Could play slot corner with Heath/Iloka playing Strong.

3.90-

3T- Hopefully, Trysten Hill falls here. He could be the pick at 58 but this Mock he falls to 90. Gerald Willis is here but Dallas has no interest in him. Daylon Mack, Kingsley Keke, Daniel Wise are here but it’s too rich for them.

RB- The 3rd round should start the run on running backs. If Justice Hill, Damien Harris, Trayveon Williams are here this could be a great spot to pick up a legitimate back up for Zeke.

CB- I cant see Isiah Johnson falling to 90 but if he did keep an eye on him. A redshirt year to work with Richard on fundamentals and he could be Byron Jones replacement in 2020. 

DE- Maxx Crosby. Anthony Nelson. Guys that can make plays off the edge. 

WR- Mecole Hardeman. Darius Slayton. Emmanuel Hall. Hardeman is a smaller slot guy with return skills. Slayton is a speed guy who can  be a bigger slot or bounce to the outside. Hall is a deep threat with injury concerns.

TE- Dawson Knox is here. He’s not a inline TE but more of a big slot TE. 

Stoney picks at 3.90 Trysten Hill. Dallas gets a 3 Tech that gives Dallas their best d-line in years. With Tank, Quinn and a possibly reinstated Gregory on the edge, you give them a kid like Hill on the inside there’s not gonna be enough double teams to go around.

RB- Your hoping that the running backs stretch this far. I don’t think it happens but if Trayveon Williams is here he’s 110% the pick. If Bryce Love was healthy he’d be a target here. Mike Webber is a little rich. Justice Hill would be a steal. Devin Singletary is a player whos testing didn’t match his tape. 

CB- Lonnie Johnson’s measurables could get him drafted higher than his 4th round grade.

DE- Not anybody who would make a bigger impact than what is needed at other positions.

WR- Darius Slayton. DaMarkus Lodge.Stanley Morgan Jr. Jalen Hurd. Guys with warts that could use work on their game but have nice potential at the next level. 

TE- Drew Sample is a run blocker with the tools to become a better receiving threat.

LB- Terrill Hanks could fill the SAM role but it’s too rich for a SAM.

Stoney picks at 4.128 Trayveon Williams. Dallas gets a guy that can fill in for Zeke, gives a little different look out of the backfield and won’t get Dak killed in pass protection. This is my biggest I don’t think he’ll be here pick. 

Stoney picks at 4.136 Stanley Morgan Jr. Dallas gets a guy that can play the X, Y and Z. Bigger bodied slot than Beasley was. Just don’t ask him to take the top off the secondary.

CB- This is part of the draft where you start looking at traits over walk in help. Marvell Tell and Stephen Denmark have the length that Richard looks for in CBs. Wouldn’t be expected to see serious playing time right away. 

DE- Joe Jackson could be a pass rusher to bring in to the mix. Has the length Dallas loves in their edges. 

TE- If Dax Raymond fell here this would be the pick.Drew Sample could still be here.

LB- Terrill Hanks. Cole Holcomb. Drew Lewis. Ty Summers. Guys who can play SAM and MIKE. Dallas wants their LBs to have that kind of positional flex.

Stoney picks at 5.165 Jalen Hurd WR. Two WRs? Yes if it means I found a guy who can replace Allen Hurns and save me $5m in cap room with the potential to become a WR2. Has a some learning to do with his route running but he’s a playmaker with the ball in his hands. Kinda like a running back turned wide reciever would do. 

This is your priority free agent round. If your not wanting to compete with 31 other teams over a kid this is how you beat that process. We’ve addressed S, 3T, RB, WR. We could use a LB, TE, CB, DE. 

Stoney picks at 7.241 Cole Holcomb. Special teams guy, who can back up at WILL and SAM.

Tools could make him a Anthony Hitchens caliber player.

Recap

2.58 Juan Thornhill S Virginia 

3.90 Trysten Hill DT UCF

4.128 Trayveon Williams RB Texas A&M

4.136 Stanley Morgan Jr WR Nebraska 

5. 165 Jalen Hurd WR Baylor

7.241 Cole Holcomb LB North Carolina

Dallas gets their safety and a defensive line upgrade. Dak gets some offensive help with Williams, Morgan Jr, Hurd. Holcomb gives the linebackers some depth. 

If Rapp falls to 58 he could be the pick. If the safeties get cleaned out before 58, Dallas could go Trysten Hill at 58 and go RB at 90. Damien Harris was easily the highest graded RB brought in by Dallas for a visit. Keep an eye on Joewuan Williams from Vanderbilt at 58. Dallas and Richard like him. Watch for Jourdan Lewis being a possible trade move during the draft. TE is a position that I just can’t see Dallas addressing in this draft. Jarwin, Schultz, Witten is a decent enough corp to where Stephen and McClay fill they can address assets to other positions. Daniel Wise and Kingsley Keke are guys I like in the 4th round of Dallas goes RB at 90.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1