Because of the Sins of Jeroboam

RETIREDFAN1

Because of the Sins of Jeroboam

By: Jim Crews

Few of us give ourselves the credit for the influence that we have on the lives of those around us. The things we do and say have a great impact on the lives of those we come into contact with. Sometimes our influence spreads to people we may not have seen or even know.

Our example of this is Jeroboam. Following the death of Solomon, the nation of Israel was divided by two rival kings.
Rehoboam, the son of Solomon, took his father’s place upon the throne. However,  when he was asked to reduce the tax burden that his father had initiated, Rehoboam vowed to increase the burden to the point that Solomon’s burden would seem light.
The people, naturally, rebelled. Only one tribe acknowledged Rehoboam as their king. It was because of Solomon’s sins, that God had selected Jeroboam to lead the rebellious tribes.

I Kings 11:26-40

Notice, though, the restriction God placed on Jeroboam in verse 38. God told Jeroboam that he was to follow God’s commandments and be obedient to the Law. Jeroboam returned from Egypt after Solomon’s death, but he did not obey God.

I Kings 12:25-32

He did not trust God. Notice how he also substituted a religion that was similar to the old, but it had a few changes. Of course, this angered God.

I Kings 14:7-10

This was because God knew the influence Jeroboam’s sins would have on Israel.

I Kings 14:16

Nadab became the next king.

I Kings 15:25-26

Where did Nadab learn his evil ways? From his father, of course. Nadab was assassinated by Baasha.

I Kings 15:28-30

Did Baasha learn from history? No, he repeated the same sins.

I Kings 15:34, 16:7

Elah, the son of Baasha, became the next king, and history repeated itself.

I Kings 16:8-13

So after all these, did Zimri learn the lesson of following God? No, he most certainly did not.

I Kings 16:15-19

Imagine that. He was able to reign for only seven days and he already proved to God that he walked in the ways of Jeroboam.

Omri, the next king, was no better.

I Kings 16:25-26

His son, Ahab, we have all heard about. He had his famous wife, Jezebel. He and his father did not simply repeat Jeroboam’s sins, they went beyond them. His son, Ahaziah, learned from his father.

I Kings 22:51-53

We could go on and on. Every king of Israel repeated the same pattern established by Jeroboam.

Eventually, God delivered Israel into the hands of the Assyrians. II Kings 17:20-23

We often talk about the influence for good that we need to exert, but we should also consider the impact the evil a person does has on others.

Jeroboam did it out of fear of losing his kingdom.

That decision to sin, though,  was not contained in his lifetime. It continued on for hundreds of years. Think about how many lives were lost because of the sins of Jeroboam. Think how many lives were influenced to do evil because of his fear.

Our lives are not contained to just the time we have on this earth. We influence people every day with our words and our actions. The influence may be to the good or the evil.
Matthew 5:13-16

There is no way to avoid influencing others, so what have you done in your life? The way you attend services will set a pattern for your children and others you know. If recreation is more important than serving God, is it a wonder that others follow your footsteps? If prayer is only something you casually engage in, is it a wonder others do not pray as they should?

Our works follow us.
Revelation 14:13

Even after death, the influence of a godly father or mother will carry on in their children. The influence of a godly person can bring others to Christ and that change will impact generations of people. We need to prepare the next generation for living godly lives tomorrow by living a righteous life today.

The Bible records the names of many influential people. Noah, Abraham, Job, Moses, Joseph, Paul, Peter, and Timothy set faithful examples for us, even today. Lot, Ahab, Jezebel, Judas, and Demas have made their impact as well.

How will you be spoken of in the years to come?

Even more important is how God will find you in the day of Judgment.