Which Programs Best Develop Their Talent?

WETSU

2 minutes ago, Valhalla said:

Oklahoma State is the answer to this question.

Oh no doubt. Gundy is one of the best in the game imo. He might not ever win a title, but what he’s done there is impressive. 

I was just about to put in TCU definitely on the defensive side. I do not enjoy this team, but there is no doubt that few teams have done more with less than the Kansas State Wildcats. Northwestern and Stanford have also jumped into this grouping now as an expensive, tough academic school (very rigid teachers / rigor) that is starting to be able to recruit over that hurdle and get talent to actually compete head up with their opponents.

49 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I was just about to put in TCU definitely on the defensive side. I do not enjoy this team, but there is no doubt that few teams have done more with less than the Kansas State Wildcats. Northwestern and Stanford have also jumped into this grouping now as an expensive, tough academic school (very rigid teachers / rigor) that is starting to be able to recruit over that hurdle and get talent to actually compete head up with their opponents.

Houston Cougars...

10 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

Boise State and now Army, to a weird extent 

Boise St has been landing solid top 25 recruiting classes for a while now.  I would think Boise under Peterson was something entirely different though.  His staff developed some players.  Now you want to talk about making the most of what you have, Army would be the hands down, home run favorite in my book

Although this article is talking about producing "elite talent" meaning percentage of players drafted into the NFL...

The discussion that we are having above is way better than what this article breaks down.

12 minutes ago, MavGrad99 said:

Although this article is talking about producing "elite talent" meaning percentage of players drafted into the NFL...

The discussion that we are having above is way better than what this article breaks down.

Agreed. 

On 4/23/2019 at 6:29 PM, WETSU said:

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/Article/College-football-development-Top247-2019-NFL-Draft-Alabama-Clemson-Florida-131413816/

cool little look. Really shows you why Bama, Clemson and Ohio st are consistently in the hunt. 

interesting little article loaded with Longhorn barbs focused on Aggie big brother on the A&M site. if they could produce content for their site consistently about Texas A&M it would possibly, for once, show they could get them some headline in the state and get them something more that an hour or two a week in the middle of the night on the SEC network. pathetic...

24 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

interesting little article loaded with Longhorn barbs focused on Aggie big brother on the A&M site. if they could produce content for their site consistently about Texas A&M it would possibly, for once, show they could get them some headline in the state and get them something more that an hour or two a week in the middle of the night on the SEC network. pathetic...

Look don’t get butthurt just because what I’ve been saying for years is backed up by facts. Texas recruits either get bumps in the rankings they don’t deserve after committing to Texas, or they get to campus and the majority of them haven’t done much since like 2005. 

Do you really want to start this? Because I’ll embarrass you if you start something with me. I can pull up several “article loaded with Aggie barbs” by hookem247 writers. Are they so irrelevant they too have to talk about a rival they don’t play anymore constantly? (The answer to that is yes btw.) 

14 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Look don’t get butthurt just because what I’ve been saying for years is backed up by facts. Texas recruits either get bumps in the rankings they don’t deserve after committing to Texas, or they get to campus and the majority of them haven’t done much since like 2005. 

Do you really want to start this? Because I’ll embarrass you if you start something with me. I can pull up several “article loaded with Aggie barbs” by hookem247 writers. Are they so irrelevant they too have to talk about a rival they don’t play anymore constantly? (The answer to that is yes btw.) 

It's not just Texas though...  All recruits get a boost when shown interest by certain schools.  The punter that Texas Tech is bringing in this year bumped from 21st to 12th punter from one random camp in the Northwest...  I heard first-hand from a coach at Tech that he may get beat out by a walk-on...  but he was bumped due to several offers.

Meh... Charlie Strong era. He was way over his head at Texas. I think he's a good coach, but Texas was just too big for him. It was evident so many times when the camera panned to his face during a big time moment of a game, and he looked lost. Watching him a few times at USF, and he is a different person on the sideline of those games.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Lhornfan said:

Meh... Charlie Strong era. He was way over his head at Texas. I think he's a good coach, but Texas was just too big for him. It was evident so many times when the camera panned to his face during a big time moment of a game, and he looked lost. Watching him a few times at USF, and he is a different person on the sideline of those games.

and I'd say the same (and have) about Shaka Smart at Texas compared to his abilities at smaller/slower environments.

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

"I'll embarrass you if you start something with me" LOL.

• LOL! 1

19 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

I know, right

Well when you want to make butthurt comments like the one you made simply because you’re not satisfied with the source/results, it kind of irritates me a little. 

Texas sites take digs at A&M all the time. Especially hookem247. So I just don’t really understand why you felt the need to deflect the topic just because you weren’t satisfied with the results.

25 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

when we think about doing a little w/ a lot...think about A&M during the Sumlin years...my god...the QB, WR, OL, and defensive talent, yet...

No doubt he failed to an extent, but imo mostly at QB. I mean those are sumlin years the study was based off of, and it was still number 9 total. 

What this study doesn’t show is who gets more wins. For instance, A&M was still developing people at a decent rate and putting people in the draft, yet they were losing games they shouldn’t have loss that this study doesn’t reflect. Giving A&M the doing little with more look from a team standpoint. 

oh and I too have a harsh laserpoint for Charlie Strong...he had no business at Texas. as my thought, they really didn't recruit overly smart aside from maybe one year. I don't think I'm just looking through hindsight glasses, but realistically I think I questioned then that "man, I hope they are seeing something I as a educated and from a always around the sport, don't see". the coaching staff lost much ground w/ in-state coaches (and the eyes on the ground and arms around shoulders with many of the best recruits). Strong didn't get that and whatever philosophy he went with those first years were devastating. the Texas staff most definitely didn't do enough with (get creative with what they had) or make adjustments quick (go find new talent when mistakes are made). sometimes as a coach, you have to admit quickly that you made a mistake on a player selection (scholarship offering) and you have to cut bait. I had to do it a couple times and it was with smaller teams where it hurt (the bottom line $$$ & the team you thought you had going in).

This shows one thing about Texas. The last years of Mack and the three Strong years were awful.  I never understood how Jeff madden could stand before a group of kids and challenge them to develop their bodies in the weight room while he looked like the Hostess King.   

49 minutes ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

oh and I too have a harsh laserpoint for Charlie Strong...he had no business at Texas. as my thought, they really didn't recruit overly smart aside from maybe one year. I don't think I'm just looking through hindsight glasses, but realistically I think I questioned then that "man, I hope they are seeing something I as a educated and from a always around the sport, don't see". the coaching staff lost much ground w/ in-state coaches (and the eyes on the ground and arms around shoulders with many of the best recruits). Strong didn't get that and whatever philosophy he went with those first years were devastating. the Texas staff most definitely didn't do enough with (get creative with what they had) or make adjustments quick (go find new talent when mistakes are made). sometimes as a coach, you have to admit quickly that you made a mistake on a player selection (scholarship offering) and you have to cut bait. I had to do it a couple times and it was with smaller teams where it hurt (the bottom line $$$ & the team you thought you had going in).

I was very hard on strong. I was on here for nearly 2.5 years talking about how he wasn’t the guy and every Texas fan on the board acted like he was the next Saban because he “had core values” lol. It was clear from his first press conference to me he was in over his head. 

I think Herman is an upgrade for sure. Not sure yet if he’s national title contender material, but he’s definitely a step in the right direction. He’s going to have to have his team playing more consistent. At both Houston and Texas he has a tendency of his team playing down to their opponent and Texas will have to fix that, but I think he’s definitely an improvement. Him and Jimbo should have some very good years to come. I wish they would hurry up and get the game back on because I feel both are on pretty equal footing right now.