Which Programs Best Develop Their Talent?

WETSU

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

No doubt he failed to an extent, but imo mostly at QB. I mean those are sumlin years the study was based off of, and it was still number 9 total. 

What this study doesn’t show is who gets more wins. For instance, A&M was still developing people at a decent rate and putting people in the draft, yet they were losing games they shouldn’t have loss that this study doesn’t reflect. Giving A&M the doing little with more look from a team standpoint. 

Sumlin  had the best season any coach at aTm had for what 15-20 years.  He just couldn’t maintain that success.

1 hour ago, DB2point0 said:

Sumlin  had the best season any coach at aTm had for what 15-20 years.  He just couldn’t maintain that success.

Not really. A&M has more success under both Sherill and Slocum in terms of conference titles and wins. 

A&M was top 10 in wins from 1980-2000 under the two of them. Fran in 2004 started the decline. I think Sumlin would have been a major contender in the big 12 with the style of play. But he just wasn’t cut out for the sec. A&M couldn’t keep the size necessary to stop the run or run the ball against the much bigger front 7s. 

3 hours ago, WETSU said:

Not really. A&M has more success under both Sherill and Slocum in terms of conference titles and wins. 

A&M was top 10 in wins from 1980-2000 under the two of them. Fran in 2004 started the decline. I think Sumlin would have been a major contender in the big 12 with the style of play. But he just wasn’t cut out for the sec. A&M couldn’t keep the size necessary to stop the run or run the ball against the much bigger front 7s. 

Excuse me.   I said 15-20.  It was 98 the last time they won 11.  Sumlin did it in 2012.  It wasn’t a dig at you guys, just merely pointing out that he couldn’t maintain that in his time there.

16 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Excuse me.   I said 15-20.  It was 98 the last time they won 11.  Sumlin did it in 2012.  It wasn’t a dig at you guys, just merely pointing out that he couldn’t maintain that in his time there.

Yes. He caught lighting in a bottle those first couple of years with Sherman's recruits and of course Johnny Football. I've always wondered if A&M would have been better off keeping Sherman with the SEC move (he was a good recruiter in the trenches), that brand of football seemed a much better match. I agree with WET, Sumlin would have fared much better in the Big 12. 

19 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Yes. He caught lighting in a bottle those first couple of years with Sherman's recruits and of course Johnny Football. I've always wondered if A&M would have been better off keeping Sherman with the SEC move (he was a good recruiter in the trenches), that brand of football seemed a much better match. I agree with WET, Sumlin would have fared much better in the Big 12. 

Hell I was the one saying aTm would’ve played for a NC in 2012 if they’d have stayed in the Big12.  

think if these things had happened which would have been so much wiser for all involved:

A&M kept Sherman

Texas made a money move on either Sumlin or Kliff (could have Leach too at that) to go that style play at the time...you could have said look to an OU asst or Alabama asst but they haven't been that insightful which would have brought in a better QB group and WR's to add to what UT's had

4 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Sherman did recruit the offensive line well, but he struggled to land quality defensive recruits. Possibly even more so than sumlin. 

I think A&M needed Sumlin. His flash those first two years with Johnny gave A&M enough publicity to eventually be in a position to recruit top 10 classes and hire a guy like Jimbo. I do not believe A&M would have been in as good of position today if it had kept Sherman the first couple of years in the sec. Johnny would have never played for that matter. He didn’t fit Sherman’s mold at all. 

3 hours ago, CoachPelvisPresley said:

think if these things had happened which would have been so much wiser for all involved:

A&M kept Sherman

Texas made a money move on either Sumlin or Kliff (could have Leach too at that) to go that style play at the time...you could have said look to an OU asst or Alabama asst but they haven't been that insightful which would have brought in a better QB group and WR's to add to what UT's had

Sumlin at Texas would have been interesting. He definitely was better than Strong imo. 

1 hour ago, WETSU said:

Sumlin at Texas would have been interesting. He definitely was better than Strong imo. 

Sumlin would have been way better than Strong at Texas... Although he wouldn't have had much more success.  The cupboard was bare.  Strong got some guys there, but never developed them.

1 minute ago, MavGrad99 said:

Sumlin would have been way better than Strong at Texas... Although he wouldn't have had much more success.  The cupboard was bare.  Strong got some guys there, but never developed them.

Strong took a lot of bad mental evals as well.