Targeting

WETSU

Looks like the targeting rule has changed. From now on every time a Target is reviewed, the replay booth will make the decision one way or another. No more “inconclusive evidence” or the ruling on the field stands. It is either clear cut targeting, or the call is reversed. This should really make the games better as we will probably see far fewer players thrown out while still enforcing player safety. 

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

Looks like the targeting rule has changed. From now on every time a Target is reviewed, the replay booth will make the decision one way or another. No more “inconclusive evidence” or the ruling on the field stands. It is either clear cut targeting, or the call is reversed. This should really make the games better as we will probably see far fewer players thrown out while still enforcing player safety. 

After reading some more...I like it. Got to be clear evidence or it gets overturned. No more "well we couldn't tell, so the call on the field stands". Definite step in the right direction. Also like the repeat offender (3 in a year) suspension. 

10 hours ago, WETSU said:

So there would be no 15 yard penalty either? Even if there is no targeting, they still flag the 15 yards with the rule that's been in place these past few years, if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong.

20 minutes ago, ETXfan16 said:

So there would be no 15 yard penalty either? Even if there is no targeting, they still flag the 15 yards with the rule that's been in place these past few years, if I'm not mistaken. I could be wrong.

Correct. Either replay can completely confirm targeting existed or the call gets overturned and no penalty. 

7 hours ago, ETXfan16 said:

this would be the case in the event of another penalty like roughing the passer with targeting. replay could overturn the targeting but still, have the roughing the passer enforced.