HYPOTHETICAL Scholarship Discussion

TTman7

HYPOTHETICALLY: A law was passed on the federal level and ratified by all 50 states...this law forbids any high school student-athlete from accepting any athletic or academic scholarship to an institution OUTSIDE of their home state. They HAVE to stay IN-STATE. At all levels...juco, NAIA, d3, d2, FCS, FBS. 

What would be the power states? Which universities/colleges would be the powerhouses? Football? Baseball? Basketball? 

Your thoughts? 

As time is changing, I believe more and more it's the HS's in these states:

Florida and Texas at the A & B slot depending on the year (not saying that the absolute #1 kid wouldn't be from somewhere else California or South Dakota, etc)

California in the C slot (but Georgia now is darn close)

Georgia in the D slot

Alabama in the E slot

Ohio, Nevada, & Louisiana would all be putting out great players now (depends on the year) F, G & H

~ notice we aren't seeing or saying Pennsylvania anymore like in Marino or Montana's day? As the steel mills have shut down and oil production plants up there have shuttered...as Pitt's glory days of the 70's passed and Paterno has passed away and Penn State's own "Jerry World" came to light...

Especially in football, I believe Texas would have yearly powerhouses in football. At all levels. 

Staying in-state, talent would trickle down to the lower levels, more than there already is. Would be lots of championships I believe. 

Texas doesn’t produce enough linebackers to beat Florida right now. 

I think truthfully, you’d see LSU and Ohio st as the top two. The state of Texas and Florida and California have too many schools. All the elite talent in state wouldn’t just go to one school. A&M and Texas would split the top 50 or so with the others robbing a few kids. LSU meanwhile takes the entire top 25 and the last 10 years or so, id put Louisiana’s top 25 players against anyone’s. Which is why I think LSU would probably be the team to beat for the foreseeable future. 

38 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

Louisiana produces more blue chip talent per capita than anystate.  There’s 10-15 good ones there every year.  Their problem would be filling the rest of their class.  Their depth would fall off.  

Agreed. Texas and A&M would be beasts in this scenario. With 350- 400 D1 kids each year coming out of the State a couple of the other programs could be factors as well. Florida, Fl. State and Miami would be very strong as well as USC and UCLA. The 1 University states like Georgia, Louisiana, Bama and Ohio would be equally strong with Georgia being the top dog.

39 minutes ago, eagle34 said:

Agreed. Texas and A&M would be beasts in this scenario. With 350- 400 D1 kids each year coming out of the State a couple of the other programs could be factors as well. Florida, Fl. State and Miami would be very strong as well as USC and UCLA. The 1 University states like Georgia, Louisiana, Bama and Ohio would be equally strong with Georgia being the top dog.

I really think the ones that’d benefit the most from this would be Texas Tech, TCU, Baylor, SMU, UTEP, etc.....  Longhorns and Ags have been recruiting pretty well in state for a while now.  A lot of the 3-4*’s that have left for Arkansas, ok state, Miss schools and others like them would land there and improve the quality of classes they get.  

21 hours ago, TTman7 said:

HYPOTHETICALLY: A law was passed on the federal level and ratified by all 50 states...this law forbids any high school student-athlete from accepting any athletic or academic scholarship to an institution OUTSIDE of their home state. They HAVE to stay IN-STATE. At all levels...juco, NAIA, d3, d2, FCS, FBS. 

What would be the power states? Which universities/colleges would be the powerhouses? Football? Baseball? Basketball? 

Your thoughts? 

No one would touch Texas in any sport except basketball.  Florida and Texas dominate the states in top 100 recruits.  I just think the love would be spread more in basketball than it would in football.  Texas, by far, has the best baseball talent in the nation IMHO.  

Top 5 Football:

1. Texas/TAMU
2. Florida
3. USC
4. Georgia
5. LSU

Basketball:

1. Florida
2. Texas/TAMU/Tech
3. USC
4. Ohio St
5. Indiana (?)

Baseball:

1. Texas
2. Texas A&M
3. Texas Tech
4. TCU
5. USC

2 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I love the comments that it will never happen.

Must not know what HYPOTHETICAL means.

LOL...yea I thought the same thing when I read his comment. 

I started this thread for pure conversational purposes for a fantasy world scenario. 

10 minutes ago, Hookemhorns88 said:

I love the comments that it will never happen.

Must not know what HYPOTHETICAL means.

I made the statement myself and fully understand what hypothetical means.  Doesn’t change the fact that it will never happen even though it’s fun to discuss

9 hours ago, eagle34 said:

Since when is Alabama a “one university state?” You do know there is another traditional top 15 team there don’t you? 

10 hours ago, DB2point0 said:

Louisiana produces more blue chip talent per capita than anystate.  There’s 10-15 good ones there every year.  Their problem would be filling the rest of their class.  Their depth would fall off.  

With 15 really high end players per class and 10 upper end 3 stars that are scheme fits, LSU would be more than fine depth wise. I would argue even better off than A&M or Texas. The top 15 players from Louisiana would beat a team from Texas with the top 15 split between 2-3 teams. 

I would argue that the depth of A&M and Texas would struggle more so than LSU simply because LSU would compete with nobody while the state of Texas has at least 6 very good options. I think LSU would have more depth than any team in Texas when it’s all said and done. 

Plus I also believe that Louisiana just produces far better defensive players than Texas. Especially at linebacker. Those south Louisiana players grow up mean and physical and Texas boys just don’t compare on average. Texas would have better QBs and OTs, but every other position I give the edge to Louisiana if we are talking about just top 25 level guys. 

16 minutes ago, WETSU said:

With 15 really high end players per class and 10 upper end 3 stars that are scheme fits, LSU would be more than fine depth wise. I would argue even better off than A&M or Texas. The top 15 players from Louisiana would beat a team from Texas with the top 15 split between 2-3 teams. 

I would argue that the depth of A&M and Texas would struggle more so than LSU simply because LSU would compete with nobody while the state of Texas has at least 6 very good options. I think LSU would have more depth than any team in Texas when it’s all said and done. 

Plus I also believe that Louisiana just produces far better defensive players than Texas. Especially at linebacker. Those south Louisiana players grow up mean and physical and Texas boys just don’t compare on average. Texas would have better QBs and OTs, but every other position I give the edge to Louisiana if we are talking about just top 25 level guys. 

Thus the reason I said per capita.  Your comparing lousiana’s Top 15 to Texas’ top 15 only.  Texas could have 30-40 recruits the caliber of those top 15 Louisiana kids 

1 minute ago, DB2point0 said:

Thus the reason I said per capita.  Your comparing lousiana’s Top 15 to Texas’ top 15 only.  

Yes but for depth purposes that’s relevant. Of course if we are giving the teams one year to pull an 85 man roster then Texas teams would probably have more depth. But if you’re talking about just adding the 25 scholarship players per year, LSU getting the top 20 or so players a year from Louisiana would give them plenty of depth over a 4 year cycle. See what I’m saying? Depth for LSU would arguably be of higher quality than depth of one of the Texas schools that have to split the states top guys. 

4 minutes ago, WETSU said:

Yes but for depth purposes that’s relevant. Of course if we are giving the teams one year to pull an 85 man roster then Texas teams would probably have more depth. But if you’re talking about just adding the 25 scholarship players per year, LSU getting the top 20 or so players a year from Louisiana would give them plenty of depth over a 4 year cycle. See what I’m saying? Depth for LSU would arguably be of higher quality than depth of one of the Texas schools that have to split the states top guys. 

I understand what you’re saying.  But from a population standpoint I was just saying there’s more than 15 blue chip talent in Texas annually 

30 minutes ago, DB2point0 said:

I understand what you’re saying.  But from a population standpoint I was just saying there’s more than 15 blue chip talent in Texas annually 

There is. But I’m saying in my opinion the top 20 per year from Louisiana would be better and have more depth than say Texas or A&M getting 20 of the top 60-80. Again just my opinion. Assume Texas or A&M gets 25 players out of the top 100 in state. It wouldn’t get 25 of the top 30-40. It would be more split than that. So let’s just say that Texas got 25 of the top 100, LSU with its 20 of the top 25 would be a better and deeper team imo. 

10 hours ago, trueblue82 said:

Since when is Alabama a “one university state?” You do know there is another traditional top 15 team there don’t you? 

and UAB has climbed into a nice position...along with Auburn and Alabama...then other smaller schools like West Alabama, etc

one of the caveats that this discussion would bring to light actually, if something like this could/would ever even sniff the light of day...think of the current FCS schools, NAIA, D2, and though it might blow some away...three or four money wealthy and prominent D3 programs that may file all the paperwork and go D1 because they will be able to recruit and offer scholarships in state and compete head up if they pump in some cash, that many have been dropping into their endowments for decades.